Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Binge Eating Before Surgery

As soon as I put a deposit down for my surgery I started binge eating massive amounts of food. Like a dozen donuts in one day, an entire large bag of m & Ms. I feel so uncomfortable all the time. I bet I will have gained 10 pounds before date of surgery. I am out of control. I guess I want to ask if this has happened to anyone else but I’m afraid I’m alone in this behavior. What will happen if the surgery doesn’t happen?! I’m in a mess.

When is your surgery?

It's pretty common for people to have "food funerals". Leading up to my pre-surgery liver-shrinking diet I did a lot of baking and cooking as a "last hurrah". I'm talking making and eating entire batches of hokey pokey/honeycomb/sponge candy within a day or two, cakes, slabs of foccacia... By the time my liver-shrinking diet came around, I was super ready to just get on with it. I kind of needed to get the baking-and-eating out of my system. Sticking to the liver-shrinking diet like glue was important.

However if you really are feeling out of control, I'd start seeing a bariatric therapist who can help.

I -wanted- to have a final cheat day but the surgeon gave me my surgery date much sooner than I planned & I had to go on the pre-op diet immediately. I thought I was gonna miss out on my favorite foods forever. I'm 3mos out & Im already having some of my favorite foods! I bring this up because it's NOT a final goodbye. It's more of a 'see you later'

Get back to your program, start eating healthy, it will be worth it & you will still eventually enjoy your favorite foods. Don't sabotage this opportunity!

If you truly feel you cannot control it please talk to a professional. Binging issues don't go away after surgery if they are not properly addressed. Take care 💜

Thank you bbykitty. I definitely eat too much but I’m not usually a hunger. I’ve just sort of come undone. But I really appreciate the perspective you’ve brought to me: it’s not good bye, it’s see you later. Excellent! Good for a T-shirt or a tomb stone!

11 hours ago, Hollyserene said:

As soon as I put a deposit down for my surgery I started binge eating massive amounts of food. Like a dozen donuts in one day, an entire large bag of m & Ms. I feel so uncomfortable all the time. I bet I will have gained 10 pounds before date of surgery. I am out of control. I guess I want to ask if this has happened to anyone else but I’m afraid I’m alone in this behavior. What will happen if the surgery doesn’t happen?! I’m in a mess.

Before my pre-surg diet, I had some food funerals. Not so much binge eating, because I was not allowed to gain weight. But, I did eat things that I knew I wouldn't really be able to have after surgery.

I started therapy about 2 months before surgery. I knew that I had issues and would probably have even more issues after surgery, so I got that going. Have you considered working with a counselor? They might be able to help.

I was initially told that my surgery would be 4 weeks out. We were going camping and I went out & purchased all of my favorites planning on indulging myself for a week. Not so fast... his office called the 1st day of our trip and said I could have my RNY the next week! That put the kibosh on my plans....🤣

I caught myself doing the same thing before I learned it was common and called food funerals. And I can say for one I did not do that great on my pre-opt, and after surgery my doctor said my liver looked perfect and I did well on my pre-opt. Really all I did was cut down and three days of liquids before date. Haha. Everything works out as it's supposed to it.

Good luck! you got this!

I never imagined I would get replies. Thank you! You all have really helped me “slow my roll”. I am a low bmi patient and I guess that made me cocky. My surgery is happening in a place I affectionately call a surgery mill. I have not even been to an office or met a medical professional. It has all happened over the phone. I lied a little bit about how much I weighed and figured I better eat a lot and become that weight. Now I just feel ashamed a lethargic and out of control. Sigh.

My surgeon stressed the importance of a liver shrinking diet before surgery to lessen complications and make surgery easier. This meant No, to minimal Sugar.

It's only working against you to eat that way before hand.

On 1/7/2023 at 11:38 PM, Smanky said:

When is your surgery?

It's pretty common for people to have "food funerals". Leading up to my pre-surgery liver-shrinking diet I did a lot of baking and cooking as a "last hurrah". I'm talking making and eating entire batches of hokey pokey/honeycomb/sponge candy within a day or two, cakes, slabs of foccacia... By the time my liver-shrinking diet came around, I was super ready to just get on with it. I kind of needed to get the baking-and-eating out of my system. Sticking to the liver-shrinking diet like glue was important.

However if you really are feeling out of control, I'd start seeing a bariatric therapist who can help.

For my food funeral I had two bags of snack size Takis (Blue Heat and Fuego) and some ramen from our local ramen shop. Not exactly a binge, but their portions are huge, and their ramen is amazing. Their broth is soooo good. Spicy Beef Ramen all the way. Too bad I have to personally go in the shop for Takoyaki…I really wanted to try that.

I’m already over it. Eating whatever I wanted was not as fun as I thought it might be. My surgery is in 2 weeks. I’m a low bmi patient so I ably have to do the pre op diet for the one day before. I’m so ready for it and just sick and exhausted with my obsessive relationship with food. Ready to put the brakes on.

My surgery is in 2 weeks I have done that. I binge eat all my favorite foods and before my liquid diet starts today I ate a big platter of rice and jerk chicken and I enjoyed every minute of it. I only need to get my mind serious about this liquid diet. It's hard

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using BariatricPal mobile app

On 1/12/2023 at 1:15 PM, Hollyserene said:

I’m already over it. Eating whatever I wanted was not as fun as I thought it might be. My surgery is in 2 weeks. I’m a low bmi patient so I ably have to do the pre op diet for the one day before. I’m so ready for it and just sick and exhausted with my obsessive relationship with food. Ready to put the brakes on.

What is your bmi if you don’t mind sharing

On 1/8/2023 at 5:24 PM, Eva M said:

I caught myself doing the same thing before I learned it was common and called food funerals. And I can say for one I did not do that great on my pre-opt, and after surgery my doctor said my liver looked perfect and I did well on my pre-opt. Really all I did was cut down and three days of liquids before date. Haha. Everything works out as it's supposed to it.

Good luck! you got this!

What do you mean by you didn’t do so great? You ate foods you shouldn’t have or you didn’t drink enough water/get enough Protein?

I’m on day 3 and I just couldn’t drink 4 shakes today and I barely got enough Water. On top of that I had 2 spoonfuls of hummus which obviously isn’t allowed and I’m stressing now over all this.

I don’t even know if I have a fatty liver. I’m 5 foot 8 258 lbs, bmi 39 and a size 16

I did something similar - I have a 35BMI (with comorbitities) and was doing really well until I got the date and now I am indulging in foods I cut out months ago. Start my liquid diet on Saturday for a March 20th surgery date