Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone every switched surgeon's?

I had my consultation for VSG today. Everything I have heard such as not eating and drinking, chewing gum ect after surgery the surgeon said I could do. He has been practicing for 4 years. He got great reviews which is why I was interested in the first place. I just found it interesting that in all my research I found every surgeon against certain things post op and this surgeon said I can do them. Has anyone every gotten a second consultation with someone else? I found a great surgeon with decades of experience and thinking of consulting with him instead. Am I over reacting? Should this be a reason for concern?
Sent from my SM-N970U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Yes, I did. I went to a few different consultations. I wanted to make sure I felt comfortable with my surgeon, that we saw eye to eye regarding post-op nutrition (i.e. fan of fruits/vegetable for health benefits, not Keto or extreme low carb) and more importantly had a good surgical record.

Yes, I did. I went to a few different consultations. I wanted to make sure I felt comfortable with my surgeon, that we saw eye to eye regarding post-op nutrition (i.e. fan of fruits/vegetable for health benefits, not Keto or extreme low carb) and more importantly had a good surgical record.
I agree. That is most important. I am telling myself it is OKAY. You don't have to go with the first surgeon you consult with. Thanks!

I agree. That is most important. I am telling myself it is OKAY. You don't have to go with the first surgeon you consult with. Thanks!

It is OKAY and expected :D. You won't hurt anyone's feelings. Congrats on your decision and we look forward to your success

Well my surgeon is actually one of the best lung transplant Dr in the country but he did my by pass. He told me to get all my info from the internet as I did just fine!
But it’s never a bad idea to get a 2nd opinion.

Get a second.. third..forth...fifth ... how ever many opinions you need to be comfortable. You have to trust and me comfortable with your surgeon for anything, not just WLS.

With that being said, literally EVERY surgeon and their team have different requirements. It is not that surprising that you are getting different information. I put off surgery for so many years, partly because I thought I would never eat or drink anything again. There is "false" information out there and there is perfectly good information too.

My surgeons team says NOTHING is off limits, eat within your plan and as long as you do ok with it not making you sick or uncomfortable and you are still making the progress you are expecting then it is fine. They stress a very balanced diet for life, they explain that this isn't supposed to be a life long "diet" it is a life style change. We have to make permanent sustainable changes that we can maintain for the rest of our lives. Everything is ok IN MODERATION and that is what they try to teach us.

Regardless of all that you have to feel comfortable! So get all the opinions you need, after all you are trusting them with your life!

Good luck!

Get a second.. third..forth...fifth ... how ever many opinions you need to be comfortable. You have to trust and me comfortable with your surgeon for anything, not just WLS.
With that being said, literally EVERY surgeon and their team have different requirements. It is not that surprising that you are getting different information. I put off surgery for so many years, partly because I thought I would never eat or drink anything again. There is "false" information out there and there is perfectly good information too.
My surgeons team says NOTHING is off limits, eat within your plan and as long as you do ok with it not making you sick or uncomfortable and you are still making the progress you are expecting then it is fine. They stress a very balanced diet for life, they explain that this isn't supposed to be a life long "diet" it is a life style change. We have to make permanent sustainable changes that we can maintain for the rest of our lives. Everything is ok IN MODERATION and that is what they try to teach us.
Regardless of all that you have to feel comfortable! So get all the opinions you need, after all you are trusting them with your life!
Good luck!

So true, thank you for this!!

Are you able to share what the surgeons said was ok and others said was not ok by any chance? Curiosity has gotten the better of me. I could possibly help you also address these discrepancies,, as I have over 20years consulting lifestyle and mindset management for weight loss surgery.

Are you able to share what the surgeons said was ok and others said was not ok by any chance? Curiosity has gotten the better of me. I could possibly help you also address these discrepancies,, as I have over 20years consulting lifestyle and mindset management for weight loss surgery.

Sure! Well like I mentioned, the main one for me was that you aren't supposed to drink until 30 minutes after meals. I believe the rationale was that it pushes your food down your pouch quicker and therefore will induce hunger quicker. He told me that's not really important to worry about and that I can eat and drink together after surgery. Alot of his answers he didn't explain his rationale. More so just yes or no and he kept mentioning he can get me into surgery quickly. Diet questions I had he told me to talk to the nutritionalist which I understand he is a surgeon and not a nutritionalist. I asked about chewing gum and things that I heard you couldn't do after surgery and he said there is nothing that I can't do after surgey. While it sounds great it just wasn't what Ive been hearing which makes me want a second opinion. While I do want this procedure, I am looking for guidance. I am looking for a slow and successful journey not a speed race to the operation table.