Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you wish you would have known more about before WLS?

If you had it to do all over again what would you say was missing in your weight loss surgery experience thus far? Length experience doesn’t matter.

13 hours ago, Bee kami said:

If you had it to do all over again what would you say was missing in your weight loss surgery experience thus far? Length experience doesn’t matter.

Honestly, I feel like my whole tean prepared me very well and I don't feel like I am missing anything as of now.

I'm almost 7 weeks post op and I don't feel like I've missed anything. I did a LOT of research - for probably about a year, before my surgery. I started therapy - before my surgery. I have a great team and am quite pleased.

Edited by Jeanniebug

Reading this forum, speaking to my team and having people 6+months post op share their experience prepared me.

The only thing so far that I did not expect was the large incision when coughinh the first few days feels like a burning sensation, other than that I was prepared for worse and thought I will be sipping forever but so far so good.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had Surgery 20 years ago and there was so much I did not realize. There were not as many preliminary requirements like having to go to class or losing wt prior to surgery. In fact, When i found out i was approved I went on restaurant tour for 3 months because I knew i would not be able to eat like that anymore. I had my surgery 3 months after i was approved for surgery. I am so happy things have improved and I'm excited about all the innovation. I am trying to get feedback from the community.

I am a pharmacist and have been asked to give a lecture on the bariatric experience for a functional medicine group I am a part of. I am an old timer so your feedback is appreciated. I want to present relevant info. Curious to see where this goes.

Thanks so Much

I had a great experience- the only thing I’d do differently would be to push myself more not to cheat at all; sugar, snacking etc… during the first year when you can lose the most. I would have liked to reach my goal. I’m almost there and I know I could reach it but at 18 months out it’s already slower

I wish I knew that pretty much at the 6 to 9 mark month the weight loss stops. I also wish I knew about the possible hormone levels being throw out of whack and what that could do to your metal health.

I wish I knew about the gas pain for the first 3 days post op - doesn’t happen everyone but I was like and inflated balloon and it hurt! Thank god it didn’t last.

My 25 year anniversary is rolling around next week. I wish I had known about the hypoglycemia issue. I don't really get dumping syndrome much. I also get some serious leg and foot cramping at times but when I am good with my supplements it gets better!

On 12/4/2022 at 10:20 AM, mali said:

I had a great experience- the only thing I’d do differently would be to push myself more not to cheat at all; sugar, snacking etc… during the first year when you can lose the most. I would have liked to reach my goal. I’m almost there and I know I could reach it but at 18 months out it’s already slower

Thank you for sharing

On 1/27/2023 at 1:08 PM, katdfitness said:

My 25 year anniversary is rolling around next week. I wish I had known about the hypoglycemia issue. I don't really get dumping syndrome much. I also get some serious leg and foot cramping at times but when I am good with my supplements it gets better!

Thank you this! great topic.

On 12/5/2022 at 12:40 AM, misssdizzy said:

I wish I knew about the gas pain for the first 3 days post op - doesn’t happen everyone but I was like and inflated balloon and it hurt! Thank god it didn’t last.

Yes! and it can be painful.

On 12/4/2022 at 5:45 PM, SleeverSk said:

I wish I knew that pretty much at the 6 to 9 mark month the weight loss stops. I also wish I knew about the possible hormone levels being throw out of whack and what that could do to your metal health.

There are a couple of hormone that crank up right after surgery. They gradually decrease and the hunger comes back and metabolism seems to change. This is a the hot topic in pharmaceutic research. Thank you for search this is topic is definitely in the talks I give.

Five years out. I wish I'd known how significant food addiction is...in the puzzle of obesity. All the diets and exercises in the world don't treat food addiction, and in fact, can exacerbate it. Charting longterm food choice behaviors, triggers, circumstances linked to bad choices....is something I wish I'd done sooner. I might not have needed surgery. Not saying I have any regrets (I don't). Not saying the surgery isn't an amazing life saving tool (it is).

Have recently taken a comprehensive nutrition class. I am 5.5 years out of sleeve and have maintained my loss. I wish I had taken a decent nutrition class in my teens or 20's. Not a *weight loss* nutrition class...but a general nutrition class where you learn to read labels, learn about dietary effects on disease processes, aging, inflamation. I had no idea how ignorant I was about the different kinds of fat, the effects of sodium and refined sugar, appropriate portions, recommended Fiber and its effect on propogating good gut microorganisms, malnutrition in fat people, ect. I learned a tremendous amount in class about so many blind spots and feel so much more informed to make better dietary choices. I highly recommend a good general nutrition course for folks starting out in this process.