Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i'm a medical marijuana user and I've stopped using for a few months for my surgery and I asked my nurse when I could start again and she just said "Well I wouldn't recommend it because it can make you crave foods" Like, first of all weed affects everyone differently. ALSO that's to say I have no self control or sense. I have the common sense to know not to try to eat things i'm not supposed to after surgery even if i'm high. Like they act as if when i'm high I forget what planet i'm on. It's so annoying. I'm not just going to stop smoking weed but I also will wait until it's safe for me to. When did you guys start back again? Don't tell me to try to quit because that's not happening.

So i'm a medical marijuana user and I've stopped using for a few months for my surgery and I asked my nurse when I could start again and she just said "Well I wouldn't recommend it because it can make you crave foods" Like, first of all weed affects everyone differently. ALSO that's to say I have no self control or sense. I have the common sense to know not to try to eat things i'm not supposed to after surgery even if i'm high. Like they act as if when i'm high I forget what planet i'm on. It's so annoying. I'm not just going to stop smoking weed but I also will wait until it's safe for me to. When did you guys start back again? Don't tell me to try to quit because that's not happening.

I dont smoke myself but my friend smokes and she has gastric bypass done 3 years ago, she said she waited until she was on the full diet mainly because she wanted to make sure she got use to the amounts she could eat, the amount of times including Snacks everything just because she didn't want to get high near a meal time and tale a few bites to many... she figured once her was in a routine of all that it would be easier for her to maintain her portions and smoke as needed, her biggest fear was taking even 2-3 more bites then supposed to because that made her hurt, uncomfortable and sometimes throw up, and she was afraid of eating faster then she was supposed to because her time is off when she's high and that causes the same symptoms as too much food for her....

She saids she's been smoking again for a few years now, and would just suggest you be very careful when you start back up because even if you feel you have everything under control now, and don't normally get certain types of highs your whole body system is changing not just your stomach.... her highs changed after and you just need to watch for that, and be very careful when your stomach is still healing.
Other then that everyone is different and handles things differently, if you try and you do fine great if you try and feel you need to wait longer by all means do what's best for you [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G996U using BariatricPal mobile app

I smoke almost everyday a joint. I got my medical card here in Florida. So edibles hit different now. So i would go low and slow with that. But no issues with using MJ. Yes they cause the munchies. So i try to keep some good Snacks to help with those cravings. my local gas station has a lot of Protein snacks now especially chips so i grab those, some Quest protein Peanut Butter cups, slim jims stuff like that. and i get full very quickly so 2 slim jims and i am full. i stayed off the MJ for the first 2 months after surgery. I wanted to make sure i was good on regular solid foods without issue.

What is the reason you take it, and how have you felt since you've been off it for a few months?

If you are doing well without it, I would be hesitant to add it back in (and not b/c it's MMJ, I would say this with any rx,, OTC, even caffeine, soda, etc). So it all depends on why you think you need it, and what symptoms it helps with, and if those symptoms have been under control without it.

2 hours ago, ChubRub said:

What is the reason you take it, and how have you felt since you've been off it for a few months?

If you are doing well without it, I would be hesitant to add it back in (and not b/c it's MMJ, I would say this with any rx,, OTC, even caffeine, soda, etc). So it all depends on why you think you need it, and what symptoms it helps with, and if those symptoms have been under control without it.

i personally use it because i enjoy it lol.

2 hours ago, ChubRub said:

I use it because I have pretty intense PTSD from something I don't want to disclose here. Before I took it I was a total disaster that couldn't handle anything. It's been tough being off of it but i'm gonna get back on when I can. I've been managing with weekly therapy and benzos but I got off benzos for weed because I know the consequences of long term benzo use.

53 minutes ago, beaglegirl2 said:

I use it because I have pretty intense PTSD from something I don't want to disclose here. Before I took it I was a total disaster that couldn't handle anything. It's been tough being off of it but i'm gonna get back on when I can. I've been managing with weekly therapy and benzos but I got off benzos for weed because I know the consequences of long term benzo use.

It sounds like MMJ is the better alternative to benzos. I would talk to your psych about making the switch, and let them know about your WLS concerns as well. Maybe get a plan in place for how long it's safe to be on the benzos and then wean off? If your nurse isn't on board, maybe you can talk directly to your surgeon about it?

It CAN make you hungry--I find that it tends to affect me in spells, I'll get the munchies with a vengeance for a week or so then it won't feel like it affects me at all (could be different strains, I live in a state where the "real stuff" is illegal so it's Delta 8, Delta 10, HHC, etc...Delta 10 seems like it gives me the munchies the worst so I avoid it. HHC seems like it's the least "munchie-genic"...since you live in a state where you're going to a real dispensary I would ask advice about what might help your symptoms and give you the least munchies.)

I use it recreationally and for sleep...I've taken pretty much every prescription sleep aid out there and MJ has WAY less side effects and doesn't make me feel like I got hit by a truck when I wake up.

To be honest I smoked the day I was discharged which was a little too early I feel it was hard on my chest it got easier after 3 days coming from a heavy smoker before surgery heavy as in I smoke at least three times or more a day I knew it would be tough but now I am 6 days post-op and I smoke it doesn't hurt my chest it feels normal if I do feel like I am getting that hungry feeling I drink my shake or I eat a Popsicle or eat some Jello and it helps but I definitely helped me with my pain also. It's all about willpower and self-control and with this journey I learned that that is something that I have to have especially being around other people my willpower has become so strong when it comes to food so I know me smoking and being able to control my Munchies is okay

Sent from my SM-N970U using BariatricPal mobile app