Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 14 days post op and believe I am in the middle of my first dumping episode 😣 I drank my morning Protein Shake too fast and 15 minutes later my heart started racing, I'm dizzy, I felt like I needed to throw up, and my whole body got hot. I'm sitting on the bathroom floor right now waiting to throw up but nothing is happening. How long does this usually last? Lesson learned!

dumping isn't very common in sleevers, although it could be that. It's usually caused by consuming too much sugar or fat in one sitting - I don't know how much of either would be in your Protein Shake. It could also be an intolerance of some sort. Hard to say...I'd just monitor it and see if it happens again.

5 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

dumping isn't very common in sleevers, although it could be that. It's usually caused by consuming too much sugar or fat in one sitting - I don't know how much of either would be in your Protein Shake. It could also be an intolerance of some sort. Hard to say...I'd just monitor it and see if it happens again.

Between the milk and the Protein Powder it was 7 grams of sugar

It lasted for about an hour. I took zofran for the first time (since hospital) and curled up in fetal position until it kicked in. I wasn't able to vomit despite being so nauseous, just lots of spit. I was feeling incredible this morning. Just had my 2 week post-op appointment and my Dr. was saying how great It is that I'm hitting my goals and really pumped me up and made me feel proud...and then I went and chugged my shake like I had no dang sense! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Definitely humbled me to slow down because I never want to experience that feeling again.

Edited by raspberrylime

40 minutes ago, raspberrylime said:

and then I went and chugged my shake like I had no dang sense!

I think you hit on the issue there. I doubt this was sugar or fat content, it seems like you just drank too much too fast.

5 hours ago, raspberrylime said:

It lasted for about an hour. I took zofran for the first time (since hospital) and curled up in fetal position until it kicked in. I wasn't able to vomit despite being so nauseous, just lots of spit. I was feeling incredible this morning. Just had my 2 week post-op appointment and my Dr. was saying how great It is that I'm hitting my goals and really pumped me up and made me feel proud...and then I went and chugged my shake like I had no dang sense! 🤦🏼‍♀️ Definitely humbled me to slow down because I never want to experience that feeling again.

wow I'm so sorry that happened! I've read about dumping syndrome but seeing how much it made you suffer really makes you realize how bad it can really be. Are you feeling ok now?

4 minutes ago, bbykitty said:

wow I'm so sorry that happened! I've read about dumping syndrome but seeing how much it made you suffer really makes you realize how bad it can really be. Are you feeling ok now?

I'm completely fine now, like it never happened! Totally my own fault. It came on fast- like 10 minutes after I finished drinking. I've been handling liquids really well and wasn't even thinking this morning when I drank the shake SO fast 🙊 It was a lesson for me to slow down and be more mindful of my new stomach.

I find the milk in my rolled oats does that to me sometimes. Not as bad as you but similar symptoms - nausea, cold sweats & general weakness & passes fairly quickly likely because it’s more low key than yours. I use lactose free milk but it’s like it’s too rich or something. It tends to happen if I have my milky rolled oats too early in the morning (like before 8am). It’s like my tummy isn’t ready for it. Possibly it happened to you because your tummy can be sensitive (& fussy) fir a while after surgery while you are healing.

Though the spitting up saliva aspect sounds like the foamies (not so much the other symptoms though) which often indicates eating/drinking too fast or too much. Try diluting your shake to thin it out some & drink more slowly. Sip, sip, sip.

Edited by Arabesque