Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm at the end of my 1st week of pureed food. Every time I eat something like scrambled eggs, tuna, something with a little texture, I get the hiccups. Also, I experienced the foamies with the tuna salad. Is this common?

I wonder if you're just eating too much, and/or eating too fast? I have found that if I eat too fast I tend to get hiccups.

Too fast and/or too much likely would also explain the "foamies", though I have no firsthand experience with that issue.

22 minutes ago, Vicky Sue said:

I'm at the end of my 1st week of pureed food. Every time I eat something like scrambled eggs, tuna, something with a little texture, I get the hiccups. Also, I experienced the foamies with the tuna salad. Is this common?

This happens to me, too. I find it is any food that isn't liquid / soft enough. If it's the correct amount of food, then perhaps mix in some broth or sauce to soften it as it goes down. That's what works for me.

I'm not eating too much, but maybe too fast. I just took 2 bites of refried Beans and the hiccups are back. I'll try going even slower.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Our digestive tracts are mucous membranes. When a mucous membrane is exposed to an irritant, it creates mucous - hence the foamies. So, your body thinks that whatever you're eating is an irritant - perhaps put that particular food away and try it again in a few days or a week.

Two bites sounds about par for the course, when you first start eating. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the hiccups are because you're actually full.

Slowing down did help. It took me 30 min for my lunch.

A runny nose or hiccups was an early signal that my tummy was full. I get the foamies still when I try and introduce chicken to my stomach. I can cope with it minced but not any other way. I loved chicken so much before.

Common for me in the first few months. Even now, I have to make sure I chew really well and never overeat. Hiccups, runny noses, foamies... It was a rather steep learning curve to master my body signals.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences about this. I'll be more mindful while eating.

I get the foamies if I eat too fast, too much or anything that is too coarse or dry. Make sure your purées are still pretty runny & require little or no real chewing. Keep your bites small too. Use a teaspoon & don’t fill it. I used to sort of dipped the end of the teaspoon in what I was eating.

Our tummies can be pretty sensitive after surgery while it’s healing & it’s not unusual to struggle with some foods for a while. eggs, chicken ate big culprits fir many. I didn’t like any tinned fish but that was more a taste thing. Don’t give up on anything you struggle to tolerate. Give them a break, allow yourself to heal a little more & try again in a few days or a week or two.

All the best.