Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea and Taste issues

it does. You are still healing from a major surgery. your taste can change after surgery and that does suck for some people. Mine only a couple items tasted bad after surgery. just eat slowly and chew well. i am 6 months post op and i can eat literally anything i want. Just smaller portions.

17 minutes ago, Young 69 yrs said:

Thanks for your comments

I am nearly 5 years out from my sleeve, and I still feel nauseous, sweaty, and dizzy from about my second tablespoon. I do vomit and dry retch regularly. It's absolutely depressing. And trying to cook meals for my husband and myself is difficult. For some reason, even the smell of cooking can bring the symptoms on... so he often ends up eating my share as well! And I still find going out to eat at restaurants or cafes really hard...I tend to only order a small starter. Everything sounds and looks delicious, but I just physically cannot eat.

I am 175cm and 85kg. I was 125kg 5 years ago.

Edited by Saxons

Yes, it does get better & easier. As @liveaboard15 said you are still healing & your tummy is very sensitive. I used to say my tummy was like a petulant, tantrum throwing two year old.

The changes to our sense of taste/or smell is very common & is temporary. And it is also very common for certain foods to make you feel nauseous & blah! This too is temporary though some foods take some people longer to tolerate. You’ll even discover a food you eat one day, you can’t tolerate the next day. If that happens, just take a break from that food for a few days or a week or two, then try it again. The most common foods people struggle with seem to be eggs, chicken & steak but yiu could have different ones.

Take it slowly leaving a couple of minutes between bites/sips. Ensure you take small bites & sips. Don’t push yourself to eat a food you think you should if you find you’re unable to not ready to yet.

You’ll get there just in your time.

It gets better. I'm 5 months and 1 week out, and things finally taste normal again, although my aversion to certain things that I used to love (like pickles, olives, cottage cheese) are still there. I never had much of a sweet tooth, but now I literally can't stand any part of chocolate or sweet stuff. Also, the nausea with eating definitely gets better as time goes on. You're still pretty new post surgery, but I noticed by 8-9 weeks post op, I was totally fine.

I remember that horrid taste. I just couldn't clean my teeth enough in a day. The taste in my mouth really gave me an aversion to eating some foods. When I could eat a better range of foods it got better.

Are you on nausea meds? they really make my life better. I take them twice a day. I was miserable till I got the dose right. I also had to drop the Iron from my Multivitamin to stop nausea

If you are struggling to eat, go back to your team and ask if you can maybe have 5 or 6 tiny meals instead or 3 bigger ones. You will be loads better real soon. People who say this is an easy option to weight loss just do not have a clue how hard we work to get healthy