Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Olay friends, I'm out of meal ideas and I need more protein

Hey!

I'm getting sick of my usual and looking for some new meal idea and Snacks. I'm dealing a lot with craving carbohydrates and salt.

I'd like to only eat whole foods and complex carbohydrates if I decide to eat them but stick mostly to Protein and veggies.

I'm a vegetarian but feel free to share with my your meaty meals because I can always modify them and make them veg with tofu and other plant based Proteins.

I usually eat eggs or a Protein Shake for Breakfast, salads, cheese, crackers and soy products like tofu or Tempeh for dinners and lunch. I ate a lot of chips and barely drank any Water this week because of my environment (which I'm about to leave thank god) but in general dont feel that great after eating things like that.

I tried having oatmeal for breakfast the other day and found it really gross. I don't like sweet things or fruit but I feel like eating a half serving of fruit will help manage my carbohydrate cravings. And when I say carbs I mean like breads and chips.

So i'm curious if you want to just drop your typical meal plan in the replies. I'd love to steal some ideas! I'm eating about 1200-1300 calories a day at the moment and aim for 60 grams of protein.

A pretty good day for me looks like a protein shake, a snack, and a meal. Hbu?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Can’t really help on the vegetarian meal suggestions except for Beans, lentils & barley dusges. I often throw lentils, barley or beans into Soups for extra Protein. What about faux meat products? I know some are fine with them but others won’t eat them.

I understand the dislike of sweet things (I eat very little sweet foods) but I don’t find rolled oats sweet at all - wouldn’t eat them if they were. I use traditional oats with a spoon of seeds, make them on milk & add some blueberries before eating - 15g of protein (which is more than 2 eggs). I don’t add natural or artificial sweeteners. The natural sugar in the milk & the berries is plenty for me. And this is usually the only fruit I eat in a day & one of my two serves of multi/whole grain carbs.

Can’t really help on the vegetarian meal suggestions except for Beans, lentils & barley dusges. I often throw lentils, barley or Beans into Soups for extra Protein. What about faux meat products? I know some are fine with them but others won’t eat them.
I understand the dislike of sweet things (I eat very little sweet foods) but I don’t find rolled oats sweet at all - wouldn’t eat them if they were. I use traditional oats with a spoon of seeds, make them on milk & add some blueberries before eating - 15g of Protein (which is more than 2 eggs). I don’t add natural or artificial sweeteners. The natural sugar in the milk & the berries is plenty for me. And this is usually the only fruit I eat in a day & one of my two serves of multi/whole grain carbs.

I want to try doing more with lentils for sure! Thats a good idea. Do you have a fave lentils recipe? I can't remember if it was you or someone else but I got a pretty good lentil recipe over this forum in the past. I feel like they can be really versatile though.

It's more the mushy texture of oatmeal I can't do. What kind of seeds do you add to it? How is it 15 grams of protein? Is there a specific oat or ingredient you use/portion size?

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

Some ideas:

• Sweet Potato Chili
  • Instant Pot Tacos (made with lentils)
  • Cauliflower Tacos with black Beans, cabbage slaw, cilantro & Yum Yum Sauce
  • Vegetarian chili
  • Spinach salad with red onion, Falafel “Scotch” eggs and Garlicky Lemon-Tahini Dressing
  • Egg topped Sweet Potato/Onion Hash, Sautéed Mushrooms & Kale with Parmesan & Almonds
  • Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Pear Salad with Balsamic and Walnuts
  • Veggie Quesadilla with black beans, spinach & mashed sweet potato
  • Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage
  • Whole Masoor Dal, Quinoa, pepitas
  • Southern Veggie Plate
  • Vegetable Kofta Curry
  • Baingan Bharta
  • Lahsuni Bhindi
  • Muttar Paneer
  • Palak Paneer
  • Aloo Gobi
  • Chickpea Curry Avocado toast topped with egg
  • cheese Stuffed Poblano Peppers
  • Lentil Soup
  • Briam & Greek Salad
  • Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas with Fresh Dill and Parsley, Horiátiki Salata
  • Vegetarian Enchiladas Suizas
  • Zucchini-serrano fritters with black beans, avocado, fried egg, salsa, & queso fresco (a.k.a. lower carb Huevos Rancheros)
  • Falafel wrap (can use butter lettuce if you don't want pita)
  • Vegan Chickpea "Crab" Cakes, tartar sauce, butter lettuce & apple salad
  • Veggie Stuffed Roasted Portobello Mushrooms with Salad
  • Slow-Cooker Sweet Potato chocolate Mole Soup
  • Rajmah dal, Saag Paneer, Vegetable Pakoras
  • Gatte Ki Sabzi, Palak Paneer
  • Aloo Gobi, Palak Paneer, Rice
  • Vegetable Manchurian, Chana Masala, Bhindi Ki Sabzi
  • Grilled Portobello Mushrooms with Spinach and Manchego
  • Malai Kofta Curry
  • Cauliflower, Egg & Potato Curry, Palak Paneer
  • Shakshuka, Spinach, berry & Pistachio Salad
  • Veggie Quiche & Side Salad
  • Pisto Manchego, Fried Egg
  • Coconut Cauliflower Curry
  • Moroccan Stew with Chickpeas & Sweet Potatoes, Quinoa
  • Huevos Rancheros & Papas Fritas, Avocado & Cilantro
  • Vegan Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burger with shiitake mushrooms (Served on an whole wheat English muffin)
  • Caponata, whole wheat pita chips & lentil soup
  • Baked Sweet Potato with Moroccan Style Lentils
  • Vegan Burger patty & Sweet Potato Wedges
  • Moroccan Shakshuka Eggs With Lentils
  • Menemen
  • Veggie Enchiladas with Chile Verde
  • Roasted Veggie Grain Bowl
  • Spicy Sweet Potato Soup with Harissa & Sourdough bread
  • Vegetarian Mulligatawny
  • Collard Greens & Black-Eyed Pea Soup
  • Veggie Stuffed Grilled Portobello Mushrooms, Pear & Walnut Salad
  • Soba noodles with spicy tofu and cabbage
  • Loaded vegetarian quesadilla (use low carb or whole wheat tortilla)

You'll notice there's a lot if Indian foods. I love things from the Indian sub-continent and there are thousands of vegetarian options to choose from. Same goes for many other "ethnic" foods.

Should have added: if you need more Protein, you can add unflavored Protein Powder to most dishes.

Also, tofu works as a sub for many things like you said, but sometimes, lentils or Beans may work even better. Done correctly, lentils make a great sub for ground beef because they add more texture than tofu would.

If you don't care for the texture of "regular" oatmeal, have you ever tried steel cut oats? They're not mushy at all and have a lot more texture and "chew" to them. They're my favorite. You can get them in bulk at Sprout's, so you can buy a small amount just to try to see if you like them.

22 hours ago, fourmonthspreop said:

I want to try doing more with lentils for sure! Thats a good idea. Do you have a fave lentils recipe? I can't remember if it was you or someone else but I got a pretty good lentil recipe over this forum in the past. I feel like they can be really versatile though.

It's more the mushy texture of oatmeal I can't do. What kind of seeds do you add to it? How is it 15 grams of Protein? Is there a specific oat or ingredient you use/portion size?

Sorry the lentil recipe wasn’t mine. I just throw them, barley or Beans into whatever Soup I’m making. I’m a bit of a whatever’s in the pantry/fridge soup maker. Actually I’d probably do really well on those cooking shows when they’re told to just use the provided pantry. Ha!

1/2 cup oats, tablespoon seed mix, good 1.25 cups milk. Use the coarse cut oats not instant. They’re better for you than the instant ones & much coarser/chewier when cooked. I can eat a full serve most days but I am almost 3 & a half years out.

The seed mix I buy from the supermarket - supposed to be a gut health blend. An Australian brand called Kapaipuku. The only thing I don’t like is it has a little Monk Fruit powder. Don’t know why as it’s not needed & there are also raisins in the mix.