Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overeating before first fill?

I posted a similar question already, but can't find it to bump it up. I'm a little over a week out from banding, i'm following the post op diet, i'm at the pureed/mushie stage. I'm eating Soups, cottage cheese, soft foods pureed. The thing is, I don't feel full with the doctor recommended 1/2 cup of food. I can eat about 1.5 cups of food before experiencing any fullness. Sometimes I feel too full (but i've never thrown up, or been in pain, just minor discomfort). I'm worried because I've read about stretching your pouch. I wanted to clarify... is this something that happens after being filled? or can it happen before a fill? I'm worried. I really want to do this right. What if I have stretched my pouch? can it be fixed? Have I ruined my opportunity with the band?

It is totally normal to be able to eat a lot in that period after surgery between when you heal and when you get your fill. The operative word here is "slowly". Eat until you are full but eat slowly. You WILL feel filled up faster this way. Eat, but eat very slowly (like put your fork down between bites) and chew chew chew, and eat the right foods. You should have no problem.

You are at the time when willpower has to take over. What I did was measure the food before I sat down to eat and when it was gone, I was done. Lots of liquids will also help right now. I was pretty lucky to have no appetite for a long time after surgery. Take around 30 min to eat each meal. make sure you are eating healthy choice foods and you should'nt have any problems. It does get easier once the restriction comes and you are on a more normal type of food....Dave

I was glad to see this concern com up. I am only 11 days out from my surgery, and I can eat whatever I want and not feel full. What's going on?

Thanks, I had heard that there's no restriction until your first fill, what I want to make sure is that I'm doing harm by eating more than a cup of food at a time before my fill? I hope i get a fill soon!

Meghan

I ate normally after being banded...did take a day for liquids/mushies...then progressed to solid foods within a week or so.

I continued to overeat until I got my 2nd fill...at which time I got restriction.

I was banded on 12/3 and I've found the same thing and had the same worry. I'm eating more than the 1/2 cup and worried also that I've stretched my pouch. I didn't really see a definitive answer to your question. I only hope the first fill will change things. Good luck to you.

I was glad to see this concern com up. I am only 11 days out from my surgery, and I can eat whatever I want and not feel full. What's going on?

Fills will change everything when you start getting them, and it may take more than one fill to make a difference. One thing to think about is that we don't have to eat until we get *full*. *Normal* people don't eat until they get full, they eat until they are no longer hungry. Remember it is all about healing at this stage not losing weight. Some people do gain some weight when they start mushies and solid foods. This is the hardest time, it will get better. :)

my experience is do different I had surgery on 12/7/07 and I can eat a tablespoon at a time and fill full I am schedule for a fill on 1/07/08 I am scared I want to able to eat anything after that.

If you're losing 2lbs a week on average, and don't feel hungry and eat too much etc. You don't HAVE to get a fill, in fact you shouldn't. So if nothing changes between now & then, your doc should know not to give you a fill.

My doc said my band was pretty snug and I may not ever need a fill. He was wrong, but it seems like only 1.5cc is 'too much' for me. Some people 1.5cc doesn't affect them. Everyone is different like that :)