Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

it's pretty common to take up to a week for the first BM post-surgery - there's not much in there.

As @catwoman7 said, this is very common. You may need something stronger than the traditional treatments as it’s been a week.

Because Constipation becomes a bit of a battle while losing. I tried to keep on top of my BMs to avoid the discomfort/pain when things finally got moving if it went too many days. I’d take a stool softener if I hadn’t passed anything after three days. Add some non swelling soluble fibre to your shakes or Soups to help. ((I used Benefibre.)

All the best.

I can honestly say this is the one of the worst things I went through in the first 6 weeks. I tried everything and 14 days later still nothing. TMI alert - I put on a rubber glove and went in. The relief was wonderful. It happened once more then I have been ok ever since.

8 hours ago, Arabesque said:

As @catwoman7 said, this is very common. You may need something stronger than the traditional treatments as it’s been a week.

Because constipation becomes a bit of a battle while losing. I tried to keep on top of my BMs to avoid the discomfort/pain when things finally got moving if it went too many days. I’d take a stool softener if I hadn’t passed anything after three days. Add some non swelling soluble fibre to your shakes or Soups to help. ((I used Benefibre.)

All the best.

it's actually just been three days since their surgery

They make suppositories that are supposed to be stronger. I’m not sure if they are prescription or what though. Maybe call and ask your doctor for something.

I'm having some major issues with this too. I take Miralax in the mornings every day and 2 stool softeners every day and still NOTHING happens naturally unless every 3-4 days I go in and take a large laxative dose and/or a suppository. I'm worried this is going to be for the rest of my life and it's very depressing.

Not quite 2 weeks out and have been dealing with this also. Keep hydrated and moving. It helps. I was regularly taking Miralax, alone it didn’t do much. Used a dulcolax suppository and that helped a little. Added in Colace (two in the morning and one in the evening). That’s helping a little.

Once I got to purée I took oatmeal and blended it with either a fruit cup or applesauce to increase my Fiber.

Things are moving slowly…. But kinda moving.

On 08/28/2022 at 19:44, tranquil_chaos said:

I'm having some major issues with this too. I take Miralax in the mornings every day and 2 stool softeners every day and still NOTHING happens naturally unless every 3-4 days I go in and take a large laxative dose and/or a suppository. I'm worried this is going to be for the rest of my life and it's very depressing.

My fear as well! At first was worried I would be living on the toilet, now I’m concerned for the opposite

I am having real problems .Had surgery 17 th August and it's been hell trying to go .The softener does nothing .Dulcolax gives me awful pain , fibre like Lepicol is too harsh .I am eating lots of liquid veggies and drinking lots but it just comes to a grinding halt ?

12 minutes ago, fed-up said:

I am having real problems .Had surgery 17 th August and it's been hell trying to go .The softener does nothing .Dulcolax gives me awful pain , fibre like Lepicol is too harsh .I am eating lots of liquid veggies and drinking lots but it just comes to a grinding halt ?

What does your team suggest? I was told to take the softener but also to use milk of magnesia if I needed movement. Then after I went I was advised to take benefiber daily until I was able to get more fiber in my regular diet. Walmart has a generic in powder form and a teaspoon a day did the trick. Some people need to do more as a preventative though.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Thanks ! I have just bought some Benefiber sticks as it sounds like they are gentle but do the trick .

3 minutes ago, fed-up said:

Thanks ! I have just bought some Benefiber sticks as it sounds like they are gentle but do the trick .

Well you may need something else to make you have a movement first. I took milk if magnesia once and after that worked I started the benefiber the next day. If i were you I would talk to the dr or pharmacist and twll them what medicines gave you issues so you can try something with a different active ingredient.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I started taking fiber gummies every day... having to deal with a couple of bad weeks was enough. The gummies work perfect to keep things regular.

I have an issue with Constipation. I take 2 colace in the morning and 1 at night and after talking to my team about it last week I've added fiber gummies with some success. I was going 1-2 weeks with no bm and then pooping what felt like solid boulders(I know TMI!!!) Pushing to the point of almost passing out. I eat food, healthier food but food. Definitely no longer on the liquid stage. Thing should be at least every other day. Hoping the new gummies will help.

Sent from my SM-F926U using BariatricPal mobile app