Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 5’6 and 220lbs! Female, 30 years old.
Surgery is Aug 29th and I’m SOOOO excited but so nervous that I won’t lose weight because nothing has worked for me in the past. I have PCOS, insulin resistance and MTHFR.
Do I have anyone who has been sleeved at my height and weight with good results?! Bonus points if you have PCOS or MTHFR!

Thanks!

Edited by TinaMarie5792

I was very close to your size when I had my surgery. My surgery was covered completely by my insurance because I had very difficult to control type 2 diabetes in addition to HTN, and dyslipidemia. For diabetes prior to surgery, I was taking metformin, Bydureon, 80 units of Levemir insulin twice daily and 20 units of Novolog with each meal & snack. If you are familiar with insulin, you know these are really high doses so we are talking extreme insulin resistance.

After the surgery, I was immediately off of insulin and rapidly lost weight for the first 3-4 months and then stalled out after losing 50lbs. I stayed stuck between 160-170 for about 3 years and then when the Covid pandemic started, my husband was diagnosed with advanced kidney cancer. My stress levels went through the roof (I work in a hospital and was watching people die left and right thinking that at any time, my husband would be next). Anyway, I wound up regaining back up to 185 and started requiring insulin again at low doses. Then last year, I started on Ozempic and wound up starting to lose weight again and came off of the insulin again. After several months of Ozempic, I am now below my goal weight.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised to find that you will initially lose weight very easily. The weight loss should help reduce but may not resolve your insulin resistance. Keeping the weight off long term may be more difficult but is still quite doable.

I was much larger than you and I have PCOS and I had insulin resistance that turned into type 2 diabetes. I will be honest, the pcos makes it harder to lose weight and keep it off. But if you stick RELIGIOUSLY to your diet, work out (even if it's a little everyday, nothing crazy), you WILL see results. I've lost 69 pounds in 3 1/2 months. And it's staying off. Will stalls happen? YES. Do they royally suck and mess with your head? HELL YES. But they are normal, they will happen, and as long as you pay attention to your non scale victories (getting off meds, clothes and rings too big, fitting in a booth better, comfortably fitting in a "regular" stall and not the bigger handicapped one, etc) you'll see progress even when the scale isn't moving. I've been off my blood pressure and diabetes meds for months. It's AMAZING. The pcos will make it harder, and will test you, but you can do this. You're stronger and better than the stupid pcos. Once you believe that, the rest is easier.