Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New / From Oregon / Surgery in Nampa Idaho

My name is Shannon, I live in Oregon but will be having surgery in Nampa Idaho. Anyone else??? I am 56 and want to feel better for the rest of my life. I don't want BP, Cholesterol, bad knees, sleep apnea, and other issues to stop me from living a full life. At least another 15 or so years!

I have been working towards this surgery a few months. I am currently at the point where they are submitting my papers to insurance this coming week. I am so excited! Stopped smoking now 48 days, has to be 60 days for surgery. I am thinking late September, but probably October for surgery after all is said and done. Who knows lol.

I have a couple concerns and would interested in knowing what you do.

1. Constipation. I had in after my third C-section (many years ago) and it was horrid! I want to do everything I can NOT to have it. What do you do?

2. Any secret ideas on how to get Water in, other then sipping all day? I will do that, but I have history of kidney stones and need to make sure I get plenty of liquids,

3. For those who have been doing this years, what side effects or issues have you seen, say after 10 years? My husband, while he is being supportive, is not fond of the surgery. He is worried what effects I will have later on in life.

4. Hormones..... My daughter has PCOS and wanted to me to ask the Dr about hormones and how this effects me. He told me that actually it will get better. That part of the stomach taken out has hormones in it and will reduce any issues. What have you seen or heard?

Thanks!

Hi!

I'm in Central Oregon, having surgery in Bend. :) I just completed my requirements. My insurance is an instant approval, so I know I was approved on Friday. I was told that my surgery will be either September 12th or 30th. I just have to wait for a phone call from the scheduler this week, to confirm!

Jeanne

My name is Shannon, I live in Oregon but will be having surgery in Nampa Idaho. Anyone else??? I am 56 and want to feel better for the rest of my life. I don't want BP, Cholesterol, bad knees, sleep apnea, and other issues to stop me from living a full life. At least another 15 or so years!
I have been working towards this surgery a few months. I am currently at the point where they are submitting my papers to insurance this coming week. I am so excited! Stopped smoking now 48 days, has to be 60 days for surgery. I am thinking late September, but probably October for surgery after all is said and done. Who knows lol.
1. constipation. I had in after my third C-section (many years ago) and it was horrid! I want to do everything I can NOT to have it. What do you do?
2. Any secret ideas on how to get Water in, other then sipping all day? I will do that, but I have history of kidney stones and need to make sure I get plenty of liquids,
3. For those who have been doing this years, what side effects or issues have you seen, say after 10 years? My husband, while he is being supportive, is not fond of the surgery. He is worried what effects I will have later on in life.
4. Hormones..... My daughter has PCOS and wanted to me to ask the Dr about hormones and how this effects me. He told me that actually it will get better. That part of the stomach taken out has hormones in it and will reduce any issues. What have you seen or heard?

Thanks!

Hi Shannon I'm Michelle, I can address one of your concerns.
1. Constipation. In a group session they recommended a tea called Smooth Move. It helps they say. You can buy it on Amazon. They have it in several flavors. I'm getting some because I don't need that problem either. 2. I also have a problem with kidney stones. So I just plan on sipping away all day every day. I don't think There's any other way. Good luck! I get my sleeve in 2 days on the 16th. And I can't wait for a new lease on life either!!!

Sent from my SM-A135U using BariatricPal mobile app

On 08/14/2022 at 14:31, jmkmom said:

1. constipation. I had in after my third C-section (many years ago) and it was horrid! I want to do everything I can NOT to have it. What do you do?

Thanks!

Hi Shannon,

I live in Pennsylvania, and I am scheduled for surgery Tuesday (16th)… I’m 48 and have similar goals as you.

While I’m not a veteran, I have friends who are 7-15 years out and I grilled them about several of these things so I will share my experience this far and some of theirs.

Let me just say there are tons of people who will help with their experience also… and one of the things I learned from this board is everyone is different. (I love this app and the people on here - they are so awesome!)

1) I have IBS (largely well managed) and dealt with Constipation after my c-sections as well. The high Protein pre-op diet made that flair up for me. In addition to Water (I struggle with that) and hitting my other liquid goals, I add Miralax once or twice a day (depending on my needs) to help keep things moving. Also moving around - walk, walk walk… even puttering around the house. Moving helps keep things moving. At the first sign of things not cooperating I take an approved laxative by my program. That’s my last resort (because that is never fun) but I know my body and I know when it’s necessary - so if I catch things early enough a partial dose (I prefer liquid to pills) is usually enough to keep things productive.

2) I have digestive issues with artificial sweeteners. So I like Sodastreams water enhancers (Bubly) zero calories, zero carbs. But lately I’ve enjoyed my zero water filter enough to not bother with the flavor. I can easily work 3 20 oz bottles of water (some days 4 or 5). Keep in mind I’m pre op… but I’m hoping that post surgery I will be able to get back into that habit after surgery, because I too have kidney stones and am eager to avoid that. Right after surgery they all warned me I won’t make my goals most likely - but to do my best. With time it will come. broth and bouillon have been helpful in hitting (and exceeding) my goals. So I will use those to work towards my daily goals.

3) Depending on your surgery - will depend on the long term possible side effects, one of the reasons I’m having sleeve (shorter potential list).

However my surgeon balanced it by saying the potential side effects of not doing it the surgery or taking other steps to loose weight (prolonged joint deterioration, effects of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cardiac disease, elevated risk of cancers and although I’m not diabetic - eventually I’m likely to be, liver disease, etc) are equal or greater. On balance the surgery is a toll that helps me improve more than it risks in my case.

4. Hormones can be real - hunger, menstrual, general emotional. I was told that some women who stopped menstruating, would start again… (also warned to watch out for later in life babies), some women who have fertility issues, see a reversal… weight loss - especially large amounts, can result in an estrogen release (hormone swings).

There’s no guarantee of if my hunger hormone will be gone - or how long. Everyone is different in that area.

My hubby and I had a talk of what to possibly expect after (throw back to postpartum depression). Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I have Virtual appointment already scheduled with my therapist for the week following surgery and recurring every two weeks after (with the options to call if I need to see sooner and ability to cancel if I need to rest and not up to it as long as I check in). I’ve been seeing him for a while now to adjust to life after a car accident.

I also have my pcp follow up scheduled and my endocrinologist scheduled within a few weeks after my surgery so I will have those check-Ins to help with anything non-surgical that might pop up.

I have some help lined up (kids, husband and one friend I told what I was doing) just in case I need a little extra help right after. However the rest of my family (siblings, parents, extended family and others) know only that I’m getting a hernia repair and that I started working with a nutritionist pre-op and will continue post op due to some other health issues … which is not untrue, just not the whole truth.

I’m taking care of me first for the pre-op and the post-op recovery. I’m hoping by doing that, I can reduce my stress and help manage any of the hormone fluctuations that MIGHT pop up and well as focus on meeting my nutritional and water goals.

I hope this helps!

7 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

Hi!

I'm in Central Oregon, having surgery in Bend. :) I just completed my requirements. My insurance is an instant approval, so I know I was approved on Friday. I was told that my surgery will be either September 12th or 30th. I just have to wait for a phone call from the scheduler this week, to confirm!

Jeanne

Lucky!!!! How nice for you. I hope it is sooner then later. I want to do it tomorrow haha. I live in Eastern Oregon so Nampa is the closest. Plus my insurance will pay 100% if I go to this hospital. I do have a friend who just had surgery in Bend and has raved about the care.

4 hours ago, mkellee said:

1. constipation. In a group session they recommended a tea called Smooth Move. It helps they say. You can buy it on Amazon. They have it in several flavors. I'm getting some because I don't need that problem either. 2. I also have a problem with kidney stones. So I just plan on sipping away all day every day. I don't think There's any other way. Good luck! I get my sleeve in 2 days on the 16th. And I can't wait for a new lease on life either!!!

Hi Michelle. Thank you. I plan on getting that as well. I have heard it helps. Seems like we have similar issues and plans. Lol I am excited for you! 2 days. And Jealous 😆

Hi Michelle. Thank you. I plan on getting that as well. I have heard it helps. Seems like we have similar issues and plans. Lol I am excited for you! 2 days. And Jealous
I've waited for 13 months for this. Phew! I thought it would never get here. I've been going thru all the requirements of my insurance(and they were a lot which is why so long) but it's finally gotten here! Yours will too! And I will be so excited for you, too! Good luck. It'll be here before you know it. My sister has helped me count the days.

49 minutes ago, jmkmom said:

Lucky!!!! How nice for you. I hope it is sooner then later. I want to do it tomorrow haha. I live in Eastern Oregon so Nampa is the closest. Plus my insurance will pay 100% if I go to this hospital. I do have a friend who just had surgery in Bend and has raved about the care.

I hear ya. Hearing people talk about their complications gives me anxiety. I'm ready to just do this and get it over with. LOL! My insurance is paying 100% too. We are blessed! Do you know if your friend saw Dr. Archer? That's who's doing my surgery.

13 hours ago, mkellee said:

I've waited for 13 months for this. Phew! I thought it would never get here. I've been going thru all the requirements of my insurance(and they were a lot which is why so long) but it's finally gotten here! Yours will too! And I will be so excited for you, too! Good luck. It'll be here before you know it. My sister has helped me count the days.

One more day! Will be thinking of you tomorrow! Prayers for you and the medical staff.

12 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

I hear ya. Hearing people talk about their complications gives me anxiety. I'm ready to just do this and get it over with. LOL! My insurance is paying 100% too. We are blessed! Do you know if your friend saw Dr. Archer? That's who's doing my surgery.

Good Morning. I do not know who her Dr. was. But I bet everything is going to go great! Don't worry, you and the medical staff will do great! Another lady, mkellee is having her also tomorrow.I will be thinking of you both. Cannot wait to hear how it goes! Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

6 hours ago, jmkmom said:

Good Morning. I do not know who her Dr. was. But I bet everything is going to go great! Don't worry, you and the medical staff will do great! Another lady, mkellee is having her also tomorrow.I will be thinking of you both. Cannot wait to hear how it goes! Sending prayers and positive thoughts!

Oh, my surgery isn't tomorrow. Boy, do I wish it was! :) I'm waiting for the call from the scheduler, any time now. I was told it will probably be either September 12th or 30th.

3 hours ago, Jeanniebug said:

Oh, my surgery isn't tomorrow. Boy, do I wish it was! :) I'm waiting for the call from the scheduler, any time now. I was told it will probably be either September 12th or 30th.

Oh I am sorry! I thought that was a real coincidence! haha I am hoping I hear something in the next week or two. This waiting game sucks,

On 8/14/2022 at 3:31 PM, mkellee said:

1. constipation. In a group session they recommended a tea called Smooth Move. It helps they say. You can buy it on Amazon. They have it in several flavors. I'm getting some because I don't need that problem either. 2. I also have a problem with kidney stones. So I just plan on sipping away all day every day. I don't think There's any other way. Good luck! I get my sleeve in 2 days on the 16th. And I can't wait for a new lease on life either!!!

Hi Michelle. Thinking of you today. Hope all is going well. Not gonna lie, a little jealous! haha