Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reactive Hypoglycemia

Has anyone else developed this after surgery? I will be at three years in September and my symptoms are worsening. I wear a monitor but find that I am crashing more and more. Yesterday my glucose dropped to 301 They are sending me to Barnes Jewish Hospital in St Lewis to evaluate my pancreas and are saying I might have to have part of it removed.

it's not super common, but then again, it's not UNcommon. I've had bouts with it, and I know a few others who have as well. I was told to eat something every 3-4 hours - preferably a Protein, but if I have a carb, then be sure to pair it with a protein. Seems to have worked. Although it sounds like you may have a more severe case, or there's something else going on. I'm glad they're sending you for testing. I hope everything is OK...

Oops sorry it was 30, I usually don't go lower that 45. Thanks Cat and MT Lion

Yes that is low!! After I posted I got thinking that 1 may have been a !. Hope they get it figured out for you quick!! Good luck

I’m currently in the process of dealing with hypoglycemia too. I am also three years out and this is the first complication I have had. It’s very exhausting and mentally taxing. Hang in there!

It really is exhausitng, and frustrating. I basically eat the same thing every weekday, ocassionally my normal snack will cause a spike and a drop. Aggravating!

Hi! I’m so glad to have found this discussion! I’ve been experiencing episodes of hypoglycemia that come on so quickly. I will admit that one time I drank a sugary drink and man, did I pay for it! (I had GB almost 3 weeks ago.) My blood sugar only drops into the mid 50s but I feel absolutely horrible. Sweating, shaking, feeling like I’m going to pass out… I see my doctor tomorrow as one of my follow up appointments so I’m going to ask about the other times where nothing I did seemed to instigate the sudden drop in blood sugar. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what you do when this happens? All I know to do is sip some orange juice. Thank you! 😊

My doctor once told me I have reactive hypoglycemia and well that's unfortunate that it could get worse now that I've gotten wls. I've episodes pre-op for a few years and my doctors solution was "make sure you eat regularly and stay away from the triggers when you don't".

I usually carry the Glucoe tablets with me, or hard candy. I start with one piece of candy or 2 glucose tabs. Start low and recheck your glucose levels after 15 minutes and then treat again if your sugar hasn't come back up. Other than avoiding carbs and sugar as much as possible. I might get 40 grams of carbs a day, but even then I might have issues. Sometimes I am unsure why mine drops. I am being referred to Barnes Jewish Hospital in ST Louis to figure this out. Good luck!

I would like to suggest that you read this. It might help. :)

Medical Nutrition Therapy for Post-Bariatric Hypoglycemia: Practical Insights

Jeanniebug that was a great article! Thanks! It explained several things I was wondering about like why we should not drink Water before and after meals, and why my doctor is so adamantly against caffeine. It also linked the hypoglycemia to dumping syndrome. This has helped me, thanks! My inner Hermione thanks you too, lol research…

3 hours ago, learn2cook said:

Jeanniebug that was a great article! Thanks! It explained several things I was wondering about like why we should not drink Water before and after meals, and why my doctor is so adamantly against caffeine. It also linked the hypoglycemia to dumping syndrome. This has helped me, thanks! My inner Hermione thanks you too, lol research…

You're very welcome! I'm diabetic and I was quite nervous that I might end up having the post bariatric hypoglycemia, so I started looking into it. I found that article and it was very reassuring to me. I don't feel so nervous about, anymore. I know that there's a fairly simple fix for it and that calmed that anxiety for me. I hoped it might help someone else. :)

Sorry to re-open an old thread but wanted to add some info for those who might search on this topic. I started experiencing this about 5-6 months after a sleeve-to-bypass revision. It's bad enough that my PCP put me on a continuous glucose monitor (Freestyle Libre 3) so I can monitor it and learn my patterns. I'm now 12 months post surgery and the issue is a daily concern.

For Breakfast I usually only have something light with very low carbs. If I eat any carbs at all at lunch, even a slice of bread, I have a crash about 90 minutes to 2 hours after eating. I've found that if I eat carbs at lunch I can solve the issue if I have a Protein Bar about 90 minutes after eating. I like the Pure Protein Bars with 20g Protein and about 180-200 calories, as they work well. I just try to account for these calories in my daily eating plan. I've also used glucose tablets, fruit juice or a piece of candy, but anything high in sugar it just starts a cycle of my glucose bouncing high and low in kind of a ping pong effect. Eating the protein bar settles my glucose and I'm good until dinner. I rarely experience issues after having an evening meal even if it has carbs.

This has turned out to be quite challenging to deal with, and is really the only side effect of the surgery that I've experienced. I'm still better off than before the surgery but wish I could find a way to eliminate this issue.