Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision 6 months after VSG

Hi, I’m looking for others who’ve had a revision WITHIN the first year of their original VSG?
My reflux is AWFUL! And my weight has been at a stall since month 4. A lot of that due to food choices. The worst the reflux has gotten, the worse the carbs have gotten. Anyone had a revision so soon and was able to get back on track? My revision is due to reflux.

I may need to have a hiatal hernia repair after mine. It’s been 9 months, I take 80mg omeprazole, sleep on an incline and the heartburn still wakes me up every morning.

Surgeon said the he would only do it after it had been 6 months since my last surgery (gall bladder).

I’m worry that it will be nearly as bad as my first surgery, DS, which took 5 weeks before I could work again.

12 hours ago, starstevenson said:

My reflux is AWFUL! And my weight has been at a stall since month 4. A lot of that due to food choices...

...My revision is due to reflux.

I'm so sorry you're having to consider revision so soon after your original surgery.

Do you think it might be useful to think about the weight loss you've managed to achieve with your current surgery, and the reflux you've unfortunately experienced separately?

I have had reflux symptoms for years. They always improved when I lost weight, so after a long discussion with my surgeon I decided to go for sleeve gastrectomy as opposed to bypass. In my case the gamble (calculated) paid off. I DID in fact improve as soon as I lost a significant amount of weight again.

With regards to losing weight after a VSG that is an issue you might want to address completely separately. If you can eat around a sleeve then you may be able to eat around a bypass. Do you have food addiction issues or other psychological issues that might benefit from discussion with a bariatric therapist? Having had my sleeve 9 months ago I can't imagine how I would have approached it other than how I did - as a tool to help me lose weight if I stuck to certain (hard) rules.

I wish you all the best in your journey. There are many many roads to successful long-term weight loss. Seems like you've already taken a big step along one of those roads.

Edited by Spinoza
typo

Hi, I’m looking for others who’ve had a revision WITHIN the first year of their original VSG?
My reflux is AWFUL! And my weight has been at a stall since month 4. A lot of that due to food choices. The worst the reflux has gotten, the worse the carbs have gotten. Anyone had a revision so soon and was able to get back on track? My revision is due to reflux.
I would talk to a bariatric surgeon and have them see how serious your reflux is and if it they believe it warrants a revision, they will tell you. As far as the poor choices and no weight loss, it could be due to having gerd.

I didn't get reflux from my sleeve till years later, long after I had lost most of my weight. I saw a few surgeons, and they all said that I have to get a revision to RNY, otherwise I was risking getting esophageal cancer. I also started having difficulties keeping the weight off. I couldn't sleep at all, hence I ate more for energy. Other times, I ate when my stomach hurt just to temporary pacify the gnawing pain... Etc. It's all related.