Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all! I just had VSG last Wednesday. I was really nervous leading up to it, but am incredibly grateful that recovery has been amazing! Like...dare I say, almost seems too easy? I haven't thrown up, was really only nauseous the following day, pain has been completely tolerable without any pain meds, I'm down 5lbs and i only get gas pains a couple times a day. I'm hitting my Protein goal through shakes and bariatric Soup and today I even had unsweetened applesauce. Took me a bit to eat, but I had no problems thereafter.

I'm not complaining, but I guess I assumed recovery would be more difficult and I would be turned off by food (or thought of food) completely. So many people say how they have to force themselves to eat and it's just not my case. Has anyone else had a similar recovery? Did you still get great results? Is this something I should be worried about. I know this question probly seems silly..and again let me reiterate, I am fortunate and grateful to not be having any serious issues.

Glad you are having a good experience. Hope mine is good like that.

how is your energy level?

1 minute ago, KimA-GA said:

Glad you are having a good experience. Hope mine is good like that.

how is your energy level?

Thank you! Admittedly, I've been taking it pretty easy. Not much activity aside from small walks to prevent blood clots. But I'd say I haven't felt sluggish since Saturday. I hope your surgery goes great! ❤️

my recovery was similar - way easier than I expected. No pain - and the only nausea was the first day in the hospital, which was controlled once they put Zofran in my IV line. Part of me wondered if they even did the surgery!

I wasn't turned off by food, but I had no interest in it, and was never hungry. It was like that for the first five months. I curse the day my hunger and appetite came back - it was so much easier to lose weight when I didn't give a flip about food!

Congratulations!

My first night in the hospital was HARSH, pure gas pain issues. But otherwise, I would also say I was lucky enough to have an "easy" recovery. No pain meds, not even Tylenol except while in the hospital. Never took anything once I was home.

No nausea, no issues drinking or eating, no issues transitioning through phases. I know I am lucky, I see people struggle and I feel for them.

I don't think your struggle makes you successful or unsuccessful. I think that just depends on your body and how you follow the plan.

I have not struggled, lost 85 lbs in about 4.5 months since surgery and 122 in total since I started the process in October 2021! I still treat myself once in a while, I could my calories and kinda macros and make sure my treats fall within range. So far this has been working for me, everyone has to find what works for them.

My was much easier than I expected. I only vomit the day of the surgery at the hospital. But never again. The pain was gone the next day I went home and never took the pain medication. I was walking a mile literally 3 days after my hubby was telling me to take it easy but my doctor told me to live my life as normal as possible just stop it I was to tired or felt dizzy which never happened. 2 months I lost 33lbs and I feel amazing…I started working out and lifting weights. I am so happy best decision I ever made. Some days I wish I had decided sooner

17 hours ago, simplysmile said:

Hi all! I just had VSG last Wednesday. I was really nervous leading up to it, but am incredibly grateful that recovery has been amazing! Like...dare I say, almost seems too easy? I haven't thrown up, was really only nauseous the following day, pain has been completely tolerable without any pain meds, I'm down 5lbs and i only get gas pains a couple times a day. I'm hitting my Protein goal through shakes and bariatric Soup and today I even had unsweetened applesauce. Took me a bit to eat, but I had no problems thereafter.

I'm not complaining, but I guess I assumed recovery would be more difficult and I would be turned off by food (or thought of food) completely. So many people say how they have to force themselves to eat and it's just not my case. Has anyone else had a similar recovery? Did you still get great results? Is this something I should be worried about. I know this question probly seems silly..and again let me reiterate, I am fortunate and grateful to not be having any serious issues.

Nope, I had very easy recoveries as well. Many posts are usually when they are worried something is wrong and I, like others, read them and get worried. I avoided the gastric bypass for years and now that I had the revision, I feel so silly in retrospect. The majority of WLS are very smooth due to the laparoscopic procedures being so efficient and safe. Congrats to your great recovery and sounds like you are on the right path with great success.

Mine has been very smooth as well. I was ready to go home about 6 hours post op and had to wait what seemed like forever to get out of there the next day and get on with it! I'm almost 5 weeks post op now and those first few days feel like ages ago. I've had no issues with getting my fluids or Protein in from the get go. I've stopped having any incisional pain and hopefully will get the clear soon to work out harder (more weight, planks, core exercises etc). Still taking that part easy until follow up next week.

I am the same way... I was thinking did they really do my surgery lol .. The only problem I had was that my BP stayed high..

Sent from my WTCELERO5G using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks all for posting this topic and for the encouraging replies!

I've been seeing all the bad issues people are having and was just assuming mine would be terrible too. (Normally if there's a way to have a bad reaction to surgery or issues due to a medical problem, my body likes to take that road.)

Same story here! VSG June 14 with Bhatti GI & North Memorial in MN. Recovery has really been a breeze. I took 1 week off from my desk job for surgery recovery. At almost 8 weeks, 32.5 lbs down. Including a recent 10-day vacation, eating normal foods at restaurants, but small amounts. On vacation we walked 3-6 miles a day. Normally I barely exercise…yeah…I know I need to do better, but I do physical farm work too. No food intolerances, nausea, pain, Hair loss, or dumping. I get my 65-90g Protein, hydrate, and have my Vitamins & probiotic. 900-1200 calories/day. Too often my carbs are too high (>75g). It’s hard to get Fiber.< /span>

The “hardest” part for me and the only deviation from the plan that I have committed (besides erratic levels of exercise) was Clear Liquids. I was prescribed 3 days CL before surgery (lost 4lbs) plus 2 weeks CL after surgery. 2w after was way too long. I got dizzy and weak because I couldn’t get enough protein. Switching to full liquids was like paradise. Did that a week early with no issues. North Memorial’s diet plan is very conservative.

I also got Covid for the first time at 4w post-op. I only had a scratchy throat for 3 days and was tired for a week, but had no problems keeping to the dietary guidelines. Almost zero movement b/c I did strict quarantine for 10d to not spread it.

I am surprised I’ve done so well given how crazy it all sounds in retrospect. Major abdominal surgery, FT work, life with 3 kids, Covid, harvest season on the farm, and lengthy travel all in 8 weeks. But it’s been great! I have tons of energy!

Fear of complications and lack of insurance coverage kept me from doing this for probably 8+ years. It’s nice to hear positive stories collected in one place. I feel for those of us struggling. I still fear something will crop up. We are fortunate.

Aside from the worst gas pain I have ever felt post op (upper right shoulder) that motivated me to get to walking asap, which in turn probably aided in my recovery. I have no complaints about my surgery or the road I've come down. Can't say I've really been hungry yet(10 weeks post op and down 65lbs) but if I forget to eat and I'm super active I will feel weak. I'm lucky if I get 600-800 calories, usually get between 65-80 Protein and 20-40 carbs. I take colace and Benefiber because otherwise I "back up". Most days I burn what I eat in walking because of my job. But I have good energy and I'm thriving so it's all good. ☺️

I was just thinking this today. I'm about a month post op and everything has gone smoothly. I had pain the first few days after surgery, then it just went away. I've been able to get my Protein and Water in no problem, and so far I've tolerated all the food I have tried. I'm so thankful I'm off to a good start!

On 8/8/2022 at 8:54 PM, simplysmile said:

Has anyone else had a similar recovery? Did you still get great results?

Other than being super tired the first couple weeks, and feeling like i did 100 situps (I didn’t take any pain meds after the first day), my recovery was also uneventful.

No nausea, no gas pain, no throwing up. Granted, I barely ate those first couple weeks, but I didn’t really want to anyway (which probably explains why i was so tired).

Am pleased with my results ;)

P.S. im almost 4 years out now, reached goal at 7 months, and been maintaining below that goal to this day.