Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eosinophilic esophagitis

I just had my egd done as part of my pre surgery work up for gastric sleeve. Turns out I have eosinophilic esophagitis. I had no idea. Never had symptoms or reflux. Has anyone else had this diagnosis and still able to have the gastric sleeve surgery? I’m worried I won’t be a candidate.

I do not have EoE, but my son (15) does. I don't know what impact it may have to surgery eligibility, but I would think at minimum they would want you in remission either by way of food elimination or medications. EoE can lead to esophageal strictures, scarring, and even has some correlation to increased risk of certain types of cancers. Its great that you're not symptomatic, but it should still be addressed before the disease progresses.

2 hours ago, rcendres said:

I just had my egd done as part of my pre surgery work up for gastric sleeve. Turns out I have eosinophilic esophagitis. I had no idea. Never had symptoms or reflux. Has anyone else had this diagnosis and still able to have the gastric sleeve surgery? I’m worried I won’t be a candidate.

They might ask you if you want to do a Gastric Bypass.

After my Gastric Sleeve, I developed severe GERD, and now getting a revision to a Bypass. The sleeve will worsen your reflux and damage your esophagus.

According to this: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31620913/

"The incidence of EE (Eosinophilic Esophagitis) 1 year after SG (sleeve gastrectomy) is greater than GBP (gastric bypass). Moreover, not only GBP seems to improve this condition, but also SG tends to worsen EE. These results are to be associated with GERD disease."

So it looks like your doctor may want you to switch to the bypass instead of the sleeve.

I was diagnosed with EOE in 2015. I had the Loop DS surgery (which has a sleeved stomach). I haven't had GERD issues at all. I actually took less antiacid then before, but due to being diagnosed with MCAS (Mast Cell Activation Syndrome) I had to go back to taking the amount I used to.

And, as a side note, I want to yell at my (former, they retired) gastroenterologist for never warning me that EOE increases your risks of getting MCAS. I had to be told that by my dermatologist who diagnosed me (he said he's been getting more and more people who were diagnosed with EOE to now find that they also now have MCAS a few years after their initial diagnosis). So yeah. If you start getting hives, breaking out in really itchy rashes, have joint pain, chronic fatigue, get a pins and needles sensation in your hands and feet (and have them turn red), have the hives or a rash crawl up your neck and face and make you feel like your throat is closing up... yeah, that's MCAS. It sucks. My EOE also gave me dysphagia, which is swallowing issues (I can't swallow pills at all. Even tiny ones, because I choke on them.) which the bright side to that is that I was already used to eating slow and chewing my food really, really, really well because I'd choke if I didn't so the chewing and taking our time eating transition wasn't even a transition (I'd already been eating that way for years).

1 hour ago, Trixxx said:

Going for my sleeve in September, I get gerd the odd time , especially if I drink loads of coffee , should I be worried about this

I made a few dietary changes to manage my reflux & kept it under control for years. Would only need to take a ppi randomly like less than 5 time a year. (Usually when I’d break & have too much champagne or too many gin & tonics LOL.)

I dropped caffeine (except the little in green tea), carbonated drinks (except for the occasional tonic, flat sparkling Water & champagne), spicy food, very rich creamy or fatty foods. Rather adjust my diet then put up with the discomfort, bad taste in my mouth & the most hideous hiccups I used to get.

I had sleeve surgery because I managed my reflux. I still have reflux & I still follow the dietary changes I’d made. I need to take a ppi every day but the symptoms I get are different. My hiccups aren’t as bad as they used to be (yay) & I occasionally get a little burning in my throat late at night now but that’s all. The other symptoms are gone.

Best to have a conversation with your surgeon as to whether a sleeve is okay for you. You’ll probably have to have an endoscopy to see if your oesophagus has been affected.

I received the same diagnosis after EDG, but I knew this was a possibility due to severe reflux the last 20 years. (NONE of my other primary care physicians would listen to concerns. They just blew me off. Trust my I've chanced PCP several times before finding one that would listen to my concerns.) I was put on medicine to help reduce some of the inflammation. My nutritionist also advised me that carbonated drinks do not help at all, if anything make it worse. She prepared me to the fact that when I meet with my surgeon at the end of the month to expect him to recommend the Gastric By-Pass surgery.