Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you do instead of eating?!

I now have a wicked green tea habit and drink most of my Water requirement through tea.

4 hours ago, ClareLynn said:

I now have a wicked green tea habit and drink most of my Water requirement through tea.

One of these days I'm going to try green tea again. Last time I had it I got a bit sick. (Don't know why)

One thing I did to keep my mind off eating was clearing out my wardrobe & drawers of clothing & underwear that were too big. So feel hungry? Clean out a drawer or a wardrobe. I reviewed my clothing several times as my weight dropped. Besides distracting me it also reinforced how I was progressing. Packed up clothing into things to toss, keep, donate or give away to friends. Also pulled out clothing I’d kept in case I lost weight in the past & sorted out what I could wear again.

On 07/24/2022 at 04:05, Arabesque said:

One thing I did to keep my mind off eating was clearing out my wardrobe & drawers of clothing & underwear that were too big. So feel hungry? Clean out a drawer or a wardrobe. I reviewed my clothing several times as my weight dropped. Besides distracting me it also reinforced how I was progressing. Packed up clothing into things to toss, keep, donate or give away to friends. Also pulled out clothing I’d kept in case I lost weight in the past & sorted out what I could wear again.

I got angry one day and threw all my clothes into goodwill. I now exist on two pairs of trousers, a few t shirts, a few jumpers and two pj sets! Easier on washing. When I finally start to feel better about myself I think I’ll be able to enjoy getting new clothes.

This is difficult for me as well. I eat when I am board yet I really don’t have any hobbies that I enjoy doing. But I know what I do like is learning new things and helping others. I was waiting on COVID to go away but had decided that I want to volunteer somewhere. I am now thinking that COVID is never going to go away so idk what to do. Anyways, volunteering is a great way to keep busy and it makes you feel good to help others. Also, if you are a senior you can audit college classes for cheap or free (I can’t remember which). I wish I was old enough to do that. I love school.

It's the most hard in the beginning but things go back to normal (as normal as they can feel after wls). You'll eventually be able to eat certain foods out and enjoy yourself but you'll know your limits and no, food will not be the main reason you're there and that's okay. In fact it's wonderful. It's a part of surgery (beyond weight loss) that doesn't get talked about enough. If you put the work in , food will be there but it will no longer keep you prisoner in your own life because moderation and eating what makes your body feel best will become your main priority.

I have a lot of hobbies but I find that instead of eating or focusing on food I have a new found confidence to focus on people....talk to people, not feel self conscious about how I look or what I'm eating, connecting with others when I can. Beyond losing weight, this surgery really freed me from my food prison and I feel like I can open up to other people now that I'm m not hiding and I'm not scared.

This is a great thing and I find I am no longer planning around meals but planning around activities, seeing other people and making time to connect.

On a less whimsical note, if I feel like eating and know it wouldn't be a good idea I drink tea, diet soda, or chug a lot of Water. If I'm still like I want to eat I honor that by eating a high Protein snack like a cheese stick or half a Protein Shake and move on with my day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was once the restaurant/fast food queen and never had anything but restaurant leftovers in the fridge but after this particular WLS, for some reason, I got into learning how to cook healthy recipes. I hated cooking before, but now I find chopping vegetables calming. I like to listen to my music, podcasts or a language lesson, while I'm preparing my daily/weekly meal prep.

I'm 6 weeks out to. I don't really feel hungry too often but I've got myself on a schedule for Breakfast, lunch and dinner. My body knows when food is coming. If I feel like eating between meals I ask myself why and typically it's boredom and/or old habits trying to creep back in. Have to keep that door slammed shut.

As someone said earlier if you do stumble don't focus on that, focus on getting up, dusting off and getting back on your plan. Therapy may help you recognize better when your legit hungry and when emotions are wanting to be stuffed. It will also help you recognize the emotions, face them and allow yourself to leave the negative behind, refocus your energy and discover what you like to do.

I did pottery before but I'm finding myself more patient with it then before. I hand build and my pieces are more successful.

I've also gotten more into self-care. I'm keeping my legs shaved, exercising more, goodness my 16 year old is giving me makeup tips! I used to not wear any at all but I find I'm more confidant with it. Only it's been 10+ years so I ask her if she could advise me. It been something thats drawn us closer. My youngest (12f) does the switch boxing game with me. We workout together and get some good laughs at our efforts.

Once school starts I only have 1 free evening a week! I'm volunteering with my high schools band (my daughter is in it and I work there) 2-3 times a week, I have pottery 1 time a week and then miscellaneous things the other 3.

Now is the time to try new things. Things you haven't done in a long time because you were too big or things you always wanted to try but your size helped you back. Carpe diem! Seize the day! You got this!

I’m getting a gym membership. Eating out was always my crux so now I can get out of the house, do a gym class, save $$ on food, and still not be bored.

I used to have active hobbies like gardening but since I was diagnosed with arthritis in my spine (all over my body, really) I can’t do things I used to be able to do. I was very depressed for a long time because I had to leave my job I loved because of all the pain. That was three years ago and since then I’ve found other things to do that make me happy. I go to the pool and just walk around in the waist deep Water to move my legs (I had a hip replacement recently.) I have gotten really good at needlework/ cross-stitching and have completed some beautiful projects. It took awhile to change my mindset and now I focus on my health and eating well. I’m able to focus on tracking my food which has allowed me to gain control over my eating/ calorie consumption. I’ve lost 80 lbs and I have 50 more to go. We all can do this!❤️