Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Two weeks - July 21st … I’m so excited!

I’ll meet with the surgeon, decide on the best surgery (I have reflux which is currently under control with medication so I’m leaning toward RNY to avoid that getting worse … but want to go over my other medical issues with her and see what she recommends) and pray we can schedule a time that allows me to have the surgery and heal some before school starts.

I did ask to be put on a cancelation list just incase an earlier time opens up - but she only has clinics on Thursday so it’s not likely to be earlier.

My pre-op diet is 8 days so the earliest it can be scheduled is July 28th. I highly doubt that her schedule will allow for that, so we are just hoping that we can get scheduled before Aug 12, so hubby won’t need to take any time off work.

Anyone have any “I wish I had asked that” questions that you didn’t know to ask or think about when you met with the surgeon?

I have my list of questions That we have started about medication and my medical concerns - but from anyone who’s been there before … is there something that you recommend asking that you either didn’t know to ask or didn’t think to ask? Either about the recovery - surgery or anything?

Your husband should only have to take off the one day. And honestly my husband didn’t even do that. He dropped me off before work. Got to stay with me till they were wheeling me into the operating room cause I was an early surgery and then he came back to hospital after work to visit. I texted and dr called him to let him know everything went fine and he works less than ten minutes away but he had so much going on that he was trying to rearrange and I said reality is your just sitting there and I won’t even know you are with me. I was surrounded by plenty of people to take care of me. It wasn’t my first surgery either so I knew that I wouldn’t need him. I have anxiety so I was glad to have him there to keep me calm up until it was time though. But after that It seems like I just had my broth for lunch and got up a few times to walk and pee and took cat naps between and poof he was there already. That day went by so quick cause I slept so much. But you should be walking around well enough to go to the bathroom and grab a shake which is all you really need the next day barring any issues.

Where I’m getting surgery is about an hour away from where we live. I’m not expecting him to be at the hospital all day - but he said he’d like to stay with me until I go back and I know my anxiety would be better with some company until then.

My understanding is I will have at least and overnight stay and then home the next day - so he’s expecting to be the one to bring me home… so we are anticipating two days off or a day and a half (depending on time I’m scheduled for surgery and discharge time) - largely because of the travel time.

I think we are planning to stay at a hotel the night before the surgery close to the hospital - especially if it is an early morning.