Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Gastric Bypass - Water intake question

I'm about 5 weeks post-op and struggling to get 64 oz of Water in plus 60g Protein (60-80 is the goal in my program for right now). I'm curious about other folks who had gastric bypass - how long did it take you to get to your water and protein goals? I can get to 60g protein but only at the cost of my liquids. I feel too full and uncomfortable. I'm supposed to be shifting to soft foods but find that I can't get enough pureed in to stop using shakes. I have an endoscopy scheduled this week to see if there is a stricture but in case there isn't, I'm wondering how others' healing timelines went. Luckily, even though I feel really full, I haven't had any vomiting - but the Constipation is real, even though I measure my liquids out and sip constantly. Thanks in advance for your experiences!

Edited by WillowAspen

I had sleeve but you do know that the shakes count as liquid too, right? Maybe you should try the clear Protein Drinks. I don’t think they are as filling as the Protein Shakes. At least they weren’t for me. I liked premiere Protein clear fruit punch but there are so many brands out there.

34 minutes ago, ShoppGirl said:

I had sleeve but you do know that the shakes count as liquid too, right?

Unfortunately, in my program, they don't count the shakes as liquid.

1 minute ago, WillowAspen said:

Ooh. Well at least consider trying the clear Protein drinks. Hopefully they won’t fill you up as much.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I had Bypass. I was hitting my Water goal by my 2 week follow up.

Protein took about 3 weeks and then fell back off at pureed foods so I had to readjust my eating schedule.

Now I pretty much have it down pat, but I still can't hit my protein goal without 1 shake a day. I have tried a few times.

My work day looks like this, weekends are the same but the time just shifts a few hours later:

Wake up 530

Breakfast 6-630am: Shake @ 30g protein

Drink from 7/730-11/1130am: At least 20 oz.

lunch 12pm: Depends on what I pack but anywhere from 12-20g protein

Drink from 1-3pm: At least 20 oz.

snack (as needed for the protein boost from a lighter lunch) 330pm: Usually 5-10g protein like a string cheese

Drink from 4-6ish pm: At least 20 oz

dinner around 6/630pm: Depends on what I pack but anywhere from 15-20g protein

Drink from 7pm till bedtime: I go to bed early on week nights so not much at this time.

I average 70g protein and 70oz water daily.

At first I was annoyed because I was just constantly worrying about it and non stop drinking and eating. But now at a little over 3 months post op I can drink a 16 oz bottle of water in 30 minutes. So if I get behind I can (kinda) chug it to catch up or if I am on track I can just take a break and not worry about it. You really do just find your new routine, it just might take some time. I am VERY motivated to make the best of this so I pushed myself very hard int he beginning to start hitting those goals.

1 minute ago, kcuster83 said:

Protein took about 3 weeks and then fell back off at pureed foods so I had to readjust my eating schedule.

Now I pretty much have it down pat, but I still can't hit my Protein goal without 1 shake a day. I have tried a few times.

My work day looks like this, weekends are the same but the time just shifts a few hours later:

Wake up 530

Breakfast 6-630am: shake @ 30g protein

snack (as needed for the protein boost from a lighter lunch) 330pm: Usually 5-10g protein like a string cheese

Drink from 7pm till bedtime: I go to bed early on week nights so not much at this time.

I average 70g protein and 70oz Water daily.

At first I was annoyed because I was just constantly worrying about it and non stop drinking and eating. But now at a little over 3 months post op I can drink a 16 oz bottle of water in 30 minutes. So if I get behind I can (kinda) chug it to catch up or if I am on track I can just take a break and not worry about it. You really do just find your new routine, it just might take some time. I am VERY motivated to make the best of this so I pushed myself very hard int he beginning to start hitting those goals.

Hey our schedules are quite similar. I don’t wake up nearly as early as you but I drink shake around 9, lunch at 12, snack at 3 dinner at 6 and snack at 9. I am eating every 3 hours that way. Works well for me.

10 hours ago, kcuster83 said:

I had Bypass. I was hitting my Water goal by my 2 week follow up....

10 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

Hey our schedules are quite similar. I don’t wake up nearly as early as you but I drink shake around 9, lunch at 12, snack at 3 dinner at 6 and snack at 9. I am eating every 3 hours that way. Works well for me.

Thank you both for sharing your schedules. I've been attempting this kind of a schedule, but it has been really challenging. I had an endoscopy today and found out that I had a stricture between my pouch and intestine - my surgeon said the opening was about the size of a pinhole (hence my inability to get everything in). He did a balloon dilation but said that I will need to do that again a few more times during this healing period. Apparently, I'm healing too quickly and too much. Fingers crossed a few more dilations help this heal to the right size so I can get on a schedule that works. For now - I'm back to two days of liquid and then puree again. (I'm so ready to eat something more solid!).

ugh, that news royally sucks. But at least it’s news that they know what’s going on and there is a treatment. So, light at the end of the tunnel. I’m sure it didn’t feel like such a bright light but a year from now this will all be a blip in your memory. Just try to focus on the positive. You’ve got this.

On 7/5/2022 at 8:39 AM, kcuster83 said:

Now I pretty much have it down pat, but I still can't hit my Protein goal without 1 shake a day. I have tried a few times.

Wake up 530

Breakfast 6-630am: shake @ 30g protein

I average 70g protein and 70oz Water daily.

Awesome post ! Going to make a photo of it I had my first nutrition appointment today and it was a lot to take in. Do you guys drink like 2ozs of water at the time during the day ? Scared of overdoing it😒

9 hours ago, Giginc said:

Awesome post ! Going to make a photo of it I had my first nutrition appointment today and it was a lot to take in. Do you guys drink like 2ozs of Water at the time during the day ? Scared of overdoing it😒

When you are fresh out after surgery you likely won't even do 2 oz at a time. I was given 1 oz cups in the hospital and told I should sip that cup 3 times before it is empty.

By the time I was home (2days) I could do the 1 oz cup at a time and then gradually increased.

Now I chug water almost like normal.

I am 4 days post opp from a sleeve, and I can do 2 oz of broth at meal times but having a really hard time getting any amount of Water in. Should I treat water like meal time and sit down with 2 ounces and make sure I consume that rather than care a water/ Powerade bottle?

On 7/4/2022 at 12:13 PM, WillowAspen said:

I'm having the gastric sleeve done on 5/10. I bought some Protein2o Water, several flavors of Protein Shakes that I sampled, sugar-free popsicles, and a case of chicken broth.

I was told to get 64ozs of water and to drink twice as much water as my coffee cup. Does Protein water (not shakes) count towards water intake?

18 hours ago, JHatcher said:

I'm having the gastric sleeve done on 5/10. I bought some Protein2o Water, several flavors of Protein Shakes that I sampled, sugar-free popsicles, and a case of chicken broth.

I was told to get 64ozs of Water and to drink twice as much water as my coffee cup. Does Protein water (not shakes) count towards water intake?

My plan allows any "Calorie, sugar and carbonation free" drinks to be counted as fluids but they suggest that at least 46oz of your daily fluids are actually water.