Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved 04/21, today is my 1 month post op and I’ve only lost 16lbs. I know, I know, everyone is different but it is super discouraging to see others losing so quickly and I’m just here struggling. I struggle to get my Protein in, I hate the taste and have tried several different kinds, even the “unflavored” kind is awful. I have severe smell and taste aversion post surgery and have been on purées for a week now and can’t seem to feel normal again. I have no desire to eat, and drinking Water makes me pretty nauseous. I walk 2-3 miles every day… Did anyone have these issues? How did you overcome this? Also, every time I eat or drink something other than water, my heart races for about 30 min afterward. Any insight?

Thanks a bunch!

SW: 228lbs

CW: 212lbs

H: 5’4

Sleeved: 04/21/22

I lost 16 lbs the first month, and I started out at almost 400 lbs.

unless you're the size of someone on "My 600 lb Life", you're not going to see enormous drops. Most of us "normal" WLS patients lose about 15-25 lbs the first month, and then maybe 10 lbs give or take a month for a few months after that (and it slows down more than further out you get).

your weight loss is completely normal - you're doing fine!

as for no desire to eat, also normal. It's very common to lose one's hunger and appetite for several months after surgery. Mine came back after five months, and honestly, I wish it never had. It was SO MUCH EASIER to lose weight when I was never hunger and didn't give a flip about food!

P.S. of course, you will always find some "normal" WLS patients who lose more than 25 lbs the first month - but they're the exception. On top of that, you're starting out at a much lower weight than many of us. Starting BMI is one of the major factors in your rate of weight loss. The higher it is, the faster you're likely to lose. So don't worry - you are doing absolutely fine!

Edited by catwoman7

You honestly are not as heavy as most when you started. same height as me. but you were only at 228lb. Those with less to loose typically dont loose super fast like those that start out at much heavier weights. I started at 317lb and i had my surgery a couple days before you and i have lost since about 40 but i was much much heavier than you. So you will loose but you wont loose a ton as quick as the heavier people. Just stick to your plan.

Honestly you are doing really well. I lost 17lbs in the 6 weeks after my sleeve, if that helps at all. 6 months in and I am 27lbs from goal. Trust your sleeve, it will work if you follow your programme. Best of luck. :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

You’re losing around 4lbs a week. That’s a great rate especially with your starting weight.

I hated Protein Shakes too & just suffered through the two week liquid stage. Soon as I was on purées I put those powders away & never had another one. Yes, it was a struggle to get in my Protein eating ‘real’ food because my portion sizes were so small but as long as I was close I was happy & so was my surgeon. I found a great high protein yoghurt & yoghurt drink which gave me a good boost of protein (15-30g) every day. Worth a try. You may have to try a few to find one you enjoy - some are very sweet.

Give yourself time to recover & heal. You’ll be feeling better & more comfortable about your food choices & options before you realise it.

I'm a firm believer in Celebrate yourself on this journey. You should take the word only out of your mind unless it's I only weigh this much. I feel like people on a weight loss journey "only" is just another four letter cuss word. I had issues with food and Water also. The puree time sucked for me mostly because I found out that texture maters to me it felt like I was on the liquid diet forever. As with the water I had issues with making me nauseous also. I did some research and found that putting some flavoring in it could help but since I couldn't stand them anymore I tried every bottle water until I found one that didn't sit heavy on my stomach and didn't make me nauseous. Smart water was the one for me. It does get better. I'm almost 6 months out from bypass surgery and although I can still only drink smart water eating is better.

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app