Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much food do you eat after

Hey,

I was wonder what is the portion size of food you all can eat after bypass?

Whether it is 2 months post op or years post op.

Do you stick to it even years post op?

I dont want to fail with this. I have not had the surgery. I still need to make the appointment to meet up with the surgeon I had that did my past surgery.

I was just curious, thanks

once you're a few months out, there aren't any food restrictions and although you can't eat large portions of food at one sitting, you'll be able to eat enough that people won't guess you've had weight loss surgery. I'm seven years out, and I eat around 1700-1800 calories a day (but that'll vary for everyone since it depends on several factors, including how active you are and what weight you're trying to maintain - someone maintaining at 160 or 170 lbs can eat more than someone trying to maintain at 120).

as an example, when I go out to eat, I'll usually order an appetizer or else order an entree and eat half of it (and take the other half home). Honestly, that's pretty much what many of my never-been-obese women friends eat. No one ever questions it or asks if I've had surgery. They just assume I'm a "light eater".

I’m 4 years out. At home I still weigh my food. At dinner I eat around 1-1.5oz veggies & the rest is Protein. The whole meal is 3 -3.5 oz. If I eat more then that I get too full & I’m uncomfortable for a while. When we eat out I eat a little less then 1/2 of the meal, my husband & I usually share an entry. If I’m eating out with a friend I ask if I can order something on the kid’s menu.
At about 1.5 years out I started eating over 4 oz & I put back on 30 pounds! I used The Fast Metabolism Diet & I did great & I actually got to my goal weight!

I am about 7 weeks out from bypass. I eat about 4oz at a time, but it really depends what i am eating. Something things sit heavy and fill me up faster than others. Of those 4-5 oz, 2-2.5 are a Protein. I am now off restrictions and can eat whatever my stomach will tolerate. I have tried tons of stuff, no steak and no lettuce yet as they tend to be harder to tolerate. But I have all kinda of other fresh veggies and lettuce is next because I miss salad. haha

So far the only thing I had a problem with was a bite of pit beef meat, but that was a few weeks ago and I haven't tried since. I was so miserable and sick, I don't plan on trying again for a while (or ever). haha I am not a big pit beef person anyway so it isn't a big loss for me.

Good luck on your journey!

Edited by kcuster83

I will definitely make sure I weigh my food when I get it to make sure I don't get too much that it makes me feel sick and it's basically you have to learn what foods you can eat, right? Does anyone use kids plates, bowls, forks and spoons? I remember back when I had lapband, a lot of people did that

6 minutes ago, Erin18 said:

I will definitely make sure I weigh my food when I get it to make sure I don't get too much that it makes me feel sick and it's basically you have to learn what foods you can eat, right? Does anyone use kids plates, bowls, forks and spoons? I remember back when I had lapband, a lot of people did that

yep, weighing and measuring everything is safest. I don't really feel restriction often so I eat the measured amount and stop even if I don't feel full. I guess it depends on what I eat to feel it or not. I am never hungry and only eat because I know I have to so it's not a big deal to just stop eating right now. Hopefully it stays like this for a while, I feel like it makes it easier.

I don't use baby anything, regular plates and utensils. I weigh and measure so I know I am not putting too much on my plate. Depending on what it is, sometimes it looks like way too much food on my plate and other times it looks like nothing. haha

Through painful experience, I have learned to stop before I get full. I can eat a couple of spoonfuls of anything I want. It wasn't easy to learn this. I had to consciously stop, put my fork down, wait a few moments and see how I felt. Eventually this became a habit.

I can't eat a whole sandwich. A half sandwich satisfies me just fine. I'm very careful with foods that swell in your stomach like bread or Pasta. I always pick out the Protein and eat it first, then wait, then anything else if I still feel like it.

Edited by Katt 2002

I am going on 10 months. It depends when I'm eating. For me, protein/meats, I can eat 2 to 3 ounces. Fruits like strawberries, watermelon that are mostly Water, I can eat 5 ounces. Soft foods, like oat bran/porridge, about one cup with sliced fruit toppings. chips aka slider foods (I eat Protein chips when I really want chips), and at 35 grams with ProtiChips, that would be the max. I am usually satisfied with 1 ounce and dip it in nonfat sour cream or a homemade tzatziki dip.

I make a daily vegetable Soup with tons of veggies (cabbage, bok choy, garlic, onions, mushroom, spinach... Etc. The vegetables change every batch.) and I can eat 3 cups of that. It comes in handy on those bottomless pit days, and I need the satisfaction of sitting down and taking a long time to enjoy something to be satisfied. Also helps me stay hydrated. My surgeon's plan from the start is a balanced diet, consisting of 7 to 13 servings of fruit and veggies a day, 20 to 50 grams healthy fat, and 80 grams of protein a day. I'm still trying to work up to that.

Edited by Tomo
added surgeon's plan

3 hours ago, Erin18 said:

I am 14 weeks PO and I use a small plate and the bowl that they sale in this website store, I find the bowl very helpful to measure what I am eating, I use a baby spoon and fork to try to control my bite, I just can't eat slowly (unless I have company and I am non-stop chatting) eating fast makes me feel bad but I cannot find a way to control it, I feel bad after I did it not while I am doing it. So at least I try to control the bite size.

2 minutes ago, LaTiaV said:

I am 14 weeks PO and I use a small plate and the bowl that they sale in this website store, I find the bowl very helpful to measure what I am eating, I use a baby spoon and fork to try to control my bite, I just can't eat slowly (unless I have company and I am non-stop chatting) eating fast makes me feel bad but I cannot find a way to control it, I feel bad after I did it not while I am doing it. So at least I try to control the bite size.

Watch the clock. It sounds stupid, but 1 bite every minute. That is how I trained myself to slow down.

I still follow my plan but I call it 'normal' now.

Most restrictions I have are because of dumping on sugars and fats so I monitor those pretty carefully.

If I am in a group eating, either I or my spouse have to be careful of what and how I eat because I forget to pay attention, which is why I don't often eat in groups. But I'm not a big fan of people so not being in groups is always a goal :)

Good luck,

Tek

1 hour ago, kcuster83 said:

Watch the clock. It sounds stupid, but 1 bite every minute. That is how I trained myself to slow down.

Hey not stupid at all, I have a timer that I put to ring 30 minutes after I eat meaning I can go back to sip Water.

I just used it, I could not make 3 oz of Tilapia and one cup of salad last 30 min, but it was 17 minutes, and a lot of less discomfort after. 👍

4 hours ago, Erin18 said:

Does anyone use kids plates, bowls, forks and spoons?

I use a weird mix -- adult salad/dessert plates, children's flatware from Ikea, and baby bowls. (I feel deprived if I put a half-cup of Soup in a regular bowl.)

7 hours ago, FutureSylph said:

I use a weird mix -- adult salad/dessert plates, children's flatware from Ikea, and baby bowls. (I feel deprived if I put a half-cup of Soup in a regular bowl.)

Because it tricks your mind to think you are eating more when you aren't. Which is cool. I like everyone's replies!

How is everyone's Water intake? I know when you first get the surgery, you need to sip it. So over a month or so out, can you drink water normally?

I'm 5 months out I have timers set for everything 30 min between eating and drinking 2 min between bites at home and I do 1:30 in a restaurant and stop sooner. I also have learned there is a fine line between not completely full and over full. When I feel like I'm not sure or coming to that point I wait an extra 2 min before I decide if I'm going to take a bite or not

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app