Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG the constipation is real

I’ve never really had any issues in this department until today = 4 days post surgery.

nothing could have prepared me for the afternoon (so far) of agony. I feel like I’m very unsuccessfully trying to pass a cricket ball.

so far have taken some Syrup of fig and a senokot max. On my mums advice I’m sipping hot Water and macro gol.

never ever have I experienced anything so uncontrollable and painful.

starting to wonder if this is entirely normal. Trying to relax and think of other things.
any advice welcome. I didn’t know this existed on such a scale :((

it took me 4 days to go number 2 after surgery and man that was painful lmao. Doctor did prescribe stool softeners.

yep. Normal. That first one (that can take up to a week to "arrive") is often a doozy. You might want to try some other products - like milk of magnesia - or magnesium citrate. We were advised to take daily stool softeners at first to make it easier...but you may be beyond that at this point.

Since its the weekend, I dont know if you can call your GP or Surgeon to see what you can have. Here in the states we have stool softeners but not sure what you have there. Suppository maybe? Once you get it to pass its best to stay on top of it with whatever products you have there. Im sorry not alot of help here from US as Im not sure of what products are available for you, There are several UK people on here that I am sure can chime in and offer better help/suggestions for you hopefully. Hang in there.

I’m in the states as well so I’m sure that brands I mention would be different there but whatever you do take, also ask your team if you should take something daily once it does pass to prevent it again. I took a soluable Fiber every day.

Breaking out in a sweat? Wishing death upon yourself? Writhing in pain? Cursing yourself for having surgery?

If that's what you're experiencing.... then...yeah, somewhat normal. I think it was around day 4 for me also. Called surgeons office and they suggested fleet - Without a doubt, not the first or most pleasant option, but after all of the above I was ready to try ANYTHING. It worked. All of the above went away pretty quickly afterwards. Check with your program (usually an on-call nurse will at least advise what they feel is safe for you). Good luck!

59 minutes ago, MandoGetsSleeved said:

Breaking out in a sweat? Wishing death upon yourself? Writhing in pain? Cursing yourself for having surgery?

If that's what you're experiencing.... then...yeah, somewhat normal. I think it was around day 4 for me also. Called surgeons office and they suggested fleet - Without a doubt, not the first or most pleasant option, but after all of the above I was ready to try ANYTHING. It worked. All of the above went away pretty quickly afterwards. Check with your program (usually an on-call nurse will at least advise what they feel is safe for you). Good luck!

Yes to all of this. Macrogol was my saviour in the end but yes all of those things and today has been, erm, interesting!!

thanks all for normalising this, at least I don’t feel so alone 🤗🤗

59 minutes ago, MandoGetsSleeved said:

Just a heads up, may happen again (I want to say twice, but NOTHING like the first time….The new normal (every other day or so) started a few weeks after surgery. Now…normal (daily) if I’m walking a lot and getting fluids in. First few weeks of new things can be a doozy (wait until the hormones go all wacky!). After you settle in, things start to go back to normal, just eating a whole lot less!

Hope everything worked out and you were able to get things “moving”. One thing that really helped me was my dietician suggested a toilet stool that props your feet up and puts your colon in the best position to “go”. She recommend trying a heavy stack of books to prop your feet up at first before spending the money on a stool. I have a three legged pet so I just used one of his steps and that worked perfectly.

I’ve never really had any issues in this department until today = 4 days post surgery.
nothing could have prepared me for the afternoon (so far) of agony. I feel like I’m very unsuccessfully trying to pass a cricket ball.
so far have taken some Syrup of fig and a senokot max. On my mums advice I’m sipping hot Water and macro gol.
never ever have I experienced anything so uncontrollable and painful.
starting to wonder if this is entirely normal. Trying to relax and think of other things.
any advice welcome. I didn’t know this existed on such a scale :((

Hi there! I did use Glycerin suppositories just once, after that the problem was solved. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SM-G998U using BariatricPal mobile app