Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling depressed/hopeless on liquid diet

i have digestive issues with dairy. the regular Protein Shakes give me cramps & diarrhea.

Muscle Milk Protein shakes (non-dairy) and Fairlife protein shakes (lactose-free) are good and give me no digestive problems.

Hope you are having a better day!

Oh I am so sorry you are going through this. I did liquid for a month before surgery it isnt easy but it was so worth it. Remember you are going through withdrawals from sugars etc so its going to make you emotional and yes angry. Also you are loosing your coping mechanism. The diarrhea is probably good for you because your body is detoxing from years of crap - this can also cause headaches so drink lots if Water it should help Just know that it is also a good time to start learning self discipline- i know for me my husband enjoyed taking me to dinner and ive inly been out with him 2 times since my surgery in December 1021. Wven though I make the healthiest choice on the menu and only eat a small portion- i usually have enough for 2-3 more meals - i always up gaining or not loosing for a week - probably due to salt. Im going to give some advice I wish I had on the liquid stage - get Nutrition 310 Protein Powder mix it with unsweeted plant milk - I like Silk Almond milk - it comes in so many flavors that it helps with the cravings and it is so so good. I love the peppermint swirl. But they have a vanilla birthday cake thats so yummy as well. I seriously can live in just this stuff now and when you crave that treat youve got a healthy alternative- its full of Vitamins and I feel so good post op since I found it. Like I said, I wish I had found it during my month long liquid hell phase and the 2-3 weeks liquid post op. AMAZING!!!

On 4/18/2022 at 8:44 AM, Guest said:

These American all-liquid diets pre-surgery are deeply unethical, and this is another example of it.

You should only be on a low-calorie diet pre-surgery for liver shrinkage. Your liver doesn't know if you had Optifast or lean chicken and broccoli. All it knows is if you've been in a caloric deficit or not.

This needs to stop. Immediately. Call your surgical team. If you need to, eat (protein-rich, low-calorie) real food and tell the uptalky nurse you did, indeed, stick to your allotted Optifast for the duration of your pre-surgery diet. Smile and wave.

I believe it's a insurance requirement thing here. I could be wrong tho. Because I'm having WLS but I'm self pay (my insurance would not cover it). I didn't have to go months trying to prove I could lose weight. I also don't have to do the 2 week liquid diet. I only have to do 2 days of the liquid. So self pay and insurance requires totally different treatments.

I am so happy I found this forum today. I am on day 6 of my Preop diet. I cannot even imagine doing a liquid diet for 2 weeks. I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I am on high Protein diet with 2 shakes. I feel so weak and depressed. I was a carbiholic for sure. I am relieved to see I am not the only one! Please reach out to your support team for help. Good luck!

Drink more fluids. On my liquid preop I was able to have pudding, can you? You need to increase your calories. Broths, Jello, pudding, popsicles, melted creamy Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, milk (if you can handle it). I ate up to about 1000 cal. This liquid diet is only meant to help shrink your liver. It’s not to make you lose weight. I know it’s hard. I’m on post op liquid diet. I want food so bad. I don’t know how much more pudding, jello and Greek yogurt I can do but I’m gonna keep doing it because it’s to help me heal safely.

Question- if you’re able to lose weight eating healthy and exercising, why are you getting this surgery? Most people, like myself, have been unsuccessful doing that but you seem to have been enjoying it? If it was making you happy why surgery? No judgment I promise, just curious.

On 04/20/2022 at 14:21, hottdiva27 said:

Drink more fluids. On my liquid preop I was able to have pudding, can you? You need to increase your calories. Broths, Jello, pudding, popsicles, melted creamy Peanut Butter, Protein Shakes, milk (if you can handle it). I ate up to about 1000 cal. This liquid diet is only meant to help shrink your liver. It’s not to make you lose weight. I know it’s hard. I’m on post op liquid diet. I want food so bad. I don’t know how much more pudding, Jello and Greek yogurt I can do but I’m gonna keep doing it because it’s to help me heal safely.

Question- if you’re able to lose weight eating healthy and exercising, why are you getting this surgery? Most people, like myself, have been unsuccessful doing that but you seem to have been enjoying it? If it was making you happy why surgery? No judgment I promise, just curious.

Just because she’s able to lose weight eating healthy and exercising doesn’t mean she can keep it off. It’s the biggest reason why I’m getting WLS. I can lose 20-30 pounds (maybe more but never to an ideal weight or even below obese) but when it comes to keeping it off it’s almost impossible :-/

I have been on a diet most of my life and have not been successful at keeping it off. I am in my late 60's now and unable to do much of anything. My doctors all agree this is a good choice for me. Thank you for the positive vibes Edmira.