Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Messing up my pre-op diet 😩

23 hours ago, Tina 2.0 said:

Hi, the headache is normal. By doing the pre op diet you are switching a lot of things up in your body. No caffeine, anti inflammatory for the liver to calm down before surgery, no or scarce refined sugar can cause withdrawal symptoms. Stay well hydrated! Move! Stay Focused! I have found that Propel and Gatorade Zero replaced my carbonated drinks well. Individual packets are available on Amazon, propel goes into a 16 oz bottle, GZero 22oz Water. You might find Bone Broth or chicken stock more satisfying. Ask your doctor if Miso can be used for 8oz a day. If it’s not on your list don’t have it handy and Don’t put it to your lips. Best of Luck!

My bariatic center for our program specifically told us not to avoid caffeine during the pre op phase. Interesting how all the pre op diets are different lol.

YES! I have a co worker having a revision with another doc in town. Her pre and post are totally different than mine. I miss coffee but it was a small sacrifice for a second chance. When you get to the other side just follow the guidelines.
Be well!

My dietician said specifically that there's nothing wrong with caffeine as long as it's in moderation because it can have a tendency to dehydrate if you have too much. I need caffeine in the morning or I literally cannot function. I normally get it from diet soda but now I've switched to caffeinated teas or iced coffee (sugar free sweeteners). Usually I'll have a tea in the morning and one around 2 in the afternoon. A large iced coffee in the morning will do me all day.

My bariatic center for our program specifically told us not to avoid caffeine during the pre op phase. Interesting how all the pre op diets are different lol.
I didn't know that we had to stay away from caffeine as I've been drinking coffee quite a lot my dietitian did not inform me about no coffee interesting how some people are mentioning caffeine I might have to check with my dietician about this thanks for sharing[emoji120][emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N981B using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, Merill said:

I didn't know that we had to stay away from caffeine as I've been drinking coffee quite a lot my dietitian did not inform me about no coffee interesting how some people are mentioning caffeine I might have to check with my dietician about this thanks for sharing

My dietician said specifically that there's nothing wrong with caffeine as long as it's in moderation. Funny how every surgeon, and dietician, says something different lol

58 minutes ago, Merill said:

I didn't know that we had to stay away from caffeine as I've been drinking coffee quite a lot my dietitian did not inform me about no coffee interesting how some people are mentioning caffeine I might have to check with my dietician about this thanks for sharing

Its mainly because coffee makes you dehydrated,

I was told that post surgery the caffeine is too harsh on your healing tummy. Said it was best to break the habit before surgery as you have enough to deal with afterwards without adding caffeine withdrawal. I drank green tea so wasn’t an issue & I was allowed to drink it after surgery too.

I had the sleeve back on Feb 7th I had to cut out caffeine before the surgery. I tried to go cold turkey since I only drank 1 cup a day but I had the worst headache ever. Pain meds didn’t help so I went to 1 cup of half Decaf then 3/4 cup to 1/2 then to a few sips to none at all. I did this transition 2 weeks prior to surgery. I was suppose to do 2 week liquid diet but to be honest I only did 1 week and cheated 1x in that week. I have not yet had any coffee but I have had caffeine 2x I get the matcha lemonade from Starbucks. I haven’t had any issues with it as far as my stomach but I am dehydrated some afterwards so I drink a bodyarmor lyte the next day. I want to try coffee but I am scared it may be to acidic for my stomach.

54 minutes ago, Honey10604 said:

I had the sleeve back on Feb 7th I had to cut out caffeine before the surgery. I tried to go cold turkey since I only drank 1 cup a day but I had the worst headache ever. Pain meds didn’t help so I went to 1 cup of half Decaf then 3/4 cup to 1/2 then to a few sips to none at all. I did this transition 2 weeks prior to surgery. I was suppose to do 2 week liquid diet but to be honest I only did 1 week and cheated 1x in that week. I have not yet had any coffee but I have had caffeine 2x I get the matcha lemonade from Starbucks. I haven’t had any issues with it as far as my stomach but I am dehydrated some afterwards so I drink a bodyarmor lyte the next day. I want to try coffee but I am scared it may be to acidic for my stomach.

Matcha lemonade? I've never heard of it. Is it good? Have you tried iced coffee? Maybe that would be less acidic.

9 hours ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

Matcha lemonade? I've never heard of it. Is it good? Have you tried iced coffee? Maybe that would be less acidic.

Yes I really enjoy it the first time I got it I got it with one less scoop of matcha just to see if I like matcha because I never had it before but once I tried it I was hooked I began getting it with how many ever scoops come with the size I order. I like it because it’s not as acidic and it gives me the boost I need. I am not a big Starbucks fan I think they are overpriced I am a Dunkin’ donut girl when it comes to coffee but I fully support Starbucks matcha lemonade. I will probably get one today lol. Give it a try

12 hours ago, Honey10604 said:

Yes I really enjoy it the first time I got it I got it with one less scoop of matcha just to see if I like matcha because I never had it before but once I tried it I was hooked I began getting it with how many ever scoops come with the size I order. I like it because it’s not as acidic and it gives me the boost I need. I am not a big Starbucks fan I think they are overpriced I am a Dunkin’ donut girl when it comes to coffee but I fully support Starbucks matcha lemonade. I will probably get one today lol. Give it a try

What size do you get? Is it sweet at all?

1 minute ago, Future Sleeve Diva said:

What size do you get? Is it sweet at all?

It’s a little tart but good. The first time I got the tall which is their small with one less scoop of matcha just to see if I like but once I realized I did I would get different sizes now I try to stick with the tall or grande which is the small the one above the small just to keep a check on getting dehydrated.

1 hour ago, Honey10604 said:

It’s a little tart but good. The first time I got the tall which is their small with one less scoop of matcha just to see if I like but once I realized I did I would get different sizes now I try to stick with the tall or grande which is the small the one above the small just to keep a check on getting dehydrated.

I just got one. I got a tall. It's soooooo goooood!!!!! Thanks for the info about it!!!!