Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Messing up my pre-op diet 😩

I’m day 4 of my pre-op and I have to admit I haven’t been perfect on it, however, today I ordered grilled nuggets and the restaurant gave me a free brownie. So as I’m driving I’m like I’m not going to eat it. That turn into just a little bite. I didn’t eat it all but I feel horrible for eating it. I’m starting to think I’m not going to be able to resist and it’s going to mess up my sleeve. Any tips on how to fight the cravings. I’m not perfect but I’m trying🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️

Dont order anything. Stick to your diet... Its just 2 weeks. I am right there with you. Today is day 5 for me for my preop diet for 2 weeks. Its been horrible but manageable. I stick to 4 Protein Shakes a day and in the afternoon i have a 4oz piece of sockeye salmon with 3oz of veggies. That little meal helps a ton and its super healthy. Trust me i have been tempted hard to go to chick fil a and order a few chicken sandwiches lol. But surgery is right around the corner. Cant fail. especially me having paid $18K two weeks ago for this surgery. Worst thing that happens is they get you to the operating table, Open you up and see your liver is still huge and close you right back up. the whole purpose of this diet is to shrink that liver.

41 minutes ago, Whosthatgirl07 said:

I’m day 4 of my pre-op and I have to admit I haven’t been perfect on it, however, today I ordered grilled nuggets and the restaurant gave me a free brownie. So as I’m driving I’m like I’m not going to eat it. That turn into just a little bite. I didn’t eat it all but I feel horrible for eating it. I’m starting to think I’m not going to be able to resist and it’s going to mess up my sleeve. Any tips on how to fight the cravings. I’m not perfect but I’m trying🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️

Hey. I understand what you going through. But like, "liveaboard16" said, Stick to your diet! Check out my post and see how I am fighting the cravings.

23 minutes ago, liveaboard15 said:

Dont order anything. Stick to your diet... Its just 2 weeks. I am right there with you. Today is day 5 for me for my preop diet for 2 weeks. Its been horrible but manageable. I stick to 4 Protein Shakes a day and in the afternoon i have a 4oz piece of sockeye salmon with 3oz of veggies. That little meal helps a ton and its super healthy. Trust me i have been tempted hard to go to chick fil a and order a few chicken sandwiches lol. But surgery is right around the corner. Cant fail. especially me having paid $18K two weeks ago for this surgery. Worst thing that happens is they get you to the operating table, Open you up and see your liver is still huge and close you right back up. the whole purpose of this diet is to shrink that liver.

Hey. Thanks for the share. How are you eating while food? Are you getting the sleeve surgery? I am on a full clear liquid diet with 3 shakes, Jello, broth and sugar free drinks.

33 minutes ago, Slim Brotha H said:

Hey. Thanks for the share. How are you eating while food? Are you getting the sleeve surgery? I am on a full clear liquid diet with 3 shakes, Jello, broth and sugar free drinks.

Yes i am getting sleeve surgery on April 18th. My pre op diet is 5 Protein Shakes a day. We are allowed to eat 1 very small meal a day if the hunger gets bad. 2-3 oz Lean meat like chicken, fish (baked or grilled), non starchy veggies 3-4 oz, and Snacks like cottage cheese, non fat greek yogurt is allowed but limited. They prefer only the Protein shakes but give us that other option

you guys are lucky. I could have 4-5 Protein Shakes a day, all the no-calorie, noncaffeinated liquids I wanted, a cup of Tomato juice/V8 and a cup of broth, plus unlimited sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. No solid food at all. For two weeks. I ate sugar free Jello with abandon because it was the only thing I could have that somewhat resembled real food. I'd make a batch in the morning and eat the whole darn thing that day. I never once cheated on it, but boy---it wasn't easy. It did get a little easier after about three days because my body was in ketosis by then, but still - it was a struggle.

47 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

you guys are lucky. I could have 4-5 Protein Shakes a day, all the no-calorie, noncaffeinated liquids I wanted, a cup of Tomato juice/V8 and a cup of broth, plus unlimited sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello. No solid food at all. For two weeks. I ate sugar free Jello with abandon because it was the only thing I could have that somewhat resembled real food. I'd make a batch in the morning and eat the whole darn thing that day. I never once cheated on it, but boy---it wasn't easy. It did get a little easier after about three days because my body was in ketosis by then, but still - it was a struggle.

so my bariatric center says not to avoid carbs because yo will go into ketosis. The shakes they have us drink have 20 grams of carbs in each shake and we are to drink 5 of them.

shakes.png

Thanks for all the good tips, I’m going to meal prep the rest of this week and hopefully that will make it a little easier. @liveaboard15 yeah that’s a lot of money!! I would hate to pay that and not be able to get it. Did anyone else get a really bad headache? I’m thinking I could be dehydrated. 🤷🏾‍♀️

1 hour ago, liveaboard15 said:

so my bariatric center says not to avoid carbs because yo will go into ketosis. The shakes they have us drink have 20 grams of carbs in each shake and we are to drink 5 of them.

shakes.png

All these diet plans are different. It depends on where you go and your personal needs. But I might skip the real meals for the next ten days and just do broth and Jello

8 hours ago, Whosthatgirl07 said:

Thanks for all the good tips, I’m going to meal prep the rest of this week and hopefully that will make it a little easier. @liveaboard15 yeah that’s a lot of money!! I would hate to pay that and not be able to get it. Did anyone else get a really bad headache? I’m thinking I could be dehydrated. 🤷🏾‍♀️

Headaches can also be a sign of carb withdrawal.

10 hours ago, liveaboard15 said:

shakes.png

plans are all different. My plan WANTED us to go into ketosis...

Mine too - is that not how the liver gets shrunk?

I was on 800 calories a day for 2 weeks pre-op.

OP I hope you can get back on the horse and not slip again - it would be awful if your operation didn't go ahead. It is super hard though. Good luck.

17 hours ago, Whosthatgirl07 said:

Hi, the headache is normal. By doing the pre op diet you are switching a lot of things up in your body. No caffeine, anti inflammatory for the liver to calm down before surgery, no or scarce refined sugar can cause withdrawal symptoms. Stay well hydrated! Move! Stay Focused! I have found that Propel and Gatorade Zero replaced my carbonated drinks well. Individual packets are available on Amazon, propel goes into a 16 oz bottle, GZero 22oz Water. You might find Bone Broth or chicken stock more satisfying. Ask your doctor if Miso can be used for 8oz a day. If it’s not on your list don’t have it handy and Don’t put it to your lips. Best of Luck!

22 hours ago, Whosthatgirl07 said:

I completely understand. I got thru it by finding something I liked. Popsicles.. low cal, sugar free Jello.

I'm also on day 5 of 20. The first 10 days are just clear broth, glucerna, 80 ml shake, jelly and no sugar beverages. It's been hard, but just thinking about all The payoff for The effort, and the money it costs, has kept me from cheating (it's crossed My mind, I won't lie, thinking "just a bite").

You all can do it! And a little tip: prepare some powdered no sugar juice in less Water so it's sweeter, and freeze in palette molds. You have some popsicles, so You keep busy eating them when You have a hunger pang, and it's essentialy just flavored water.< br>
Sorry if I missed some words or spelling, I'm from Chile.

Sent from my 2107113SG using BariatricPal mobile app