Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food stuck...foamies-ish

food ...of some sort possibly cheese, appears to be stuck. I've sipped some Water, it appears to just stay there and then I bring it back up. Hope this resolves soon. Should I go to bed or stay upright?

Stay upright and walk if you can

9 minutes ago, Pollito said:

food ...of some sort possibly cheese, appears to be stuck. I've sipped some Water, it appears to just stay there and then I bring it back up. Hope this resolves soon. Should I go to bed or stay upright?

When I had my band, and foods got stuck, I'd chew a papaya enzyme. It has a digestive enzyme called papain and it helps sort of break up the stuck food. It saved me so many times. It might be worth trying. Perhaps get some and have on hand for times such as these. I hope it moves along fast. 😩

I've ordered the enzyme...for next time 😪...for this time I'm staying upright. Although it's getting pretty late.

Before my RNY when food would get stuck I would take just a couple sips of Coke and it would go down. It got so bad that when we ate out I would just order a Coke. Just in case. Even though I’m not a soda drinker.
I would buy the little bottles and keep it in the refrigerator just in case I needed it.

3 hours ago, toodlerue said:

Before my RNY when food would get stuck I would take just a couple sips of Coke and it would go down. It got so bad that when we ate out I would just order a Coke. Just in case. Even though I’m not a soda drinker.
I would buy the little bottles and keep it in the refrigerator just in case I needed it.

Oh me too except for me everything got stuck and I used to eat everything with a pint of Water. Awful.

So...I may not have had anything stuck. The reason I say this is that now Water is going down. Slowly. Everything just feels very tight, like day one after surgery. So not a blockage as such.

Do you think it's possible that it could be a stricture? Remember I'm pre op for RNY so I have no personal exerience with this and I'm still learning about RNY complications, but I've seen @catwoman7 speak of them in these threads. I believe she's said a person is most at risk from surgery to month 3? I'm not sure if I remember that correctly. But check the symptoms of stricture and see if it sounds plausible.

I had something before, saw my surgeon and he says it's almost impossible - he manually sutures so they're very stable. Apparently. Who knows. But I don't think strictures tighten and loosen one day to the next. No, if I were to guess I think I ate too quickly and angered it.

Well that's good to read. Like I said, I have no experience with strictures, and I'm still learning. I'm always overthinking about things like this. I hope I didn't worry you with that reply. But I do remember when foods would make my pouch angry when I had a band, and it would feel swollen for days, so I'd have to revert to slider type foods for a few days, so maybe this is the same sort of concept. Swollen pouch.

Yeah, maybe. I just washed all the food through my band anyway. Terrible life. No, not worried. This is the real deal, the band is just a bit of plastic.

Yeah the band was a NIGHTMARE. I can't believe I lived with GERD for years because I was afraid to have it removed, afraid I'd gain weight. I haven't, but I'm so ready for RNY so I can resume weight loss.

Well...I ate before I was ready, it happened again (or it never properly cleared), Water is going down again so I'm having a glass of milk. Will stick to liquids now till Monday.

I'm good now and it's a learning experience.

Don't drink Water - doesn't help.

Do walk - and outside for a while.

I also got an enzyme capsule from the pharmacy and emptied it into a tablespoon of water. Might have done the trick too. Have some on hand.

13 minutes ago, Pollito said:

I'm good now and it's a learning experience.

Don't drink Water - doesn't help.

Do walk - and outside for a while.

I also got an enzyme capsule from the pharmacy and emptied it into a tablespoon of Water. Might have done the trick too. Have some on hand.

After reading this post last night and typing about the papaya enzyme, I made my way to the pharmacy this morning to pick up some for after surgery. I feel like I'd have forgotten if I didn't do it today and not have them when I need them. And I haven't had to use this stuff for a couple of years.