Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

food addict I'm not sure

Like i said i am not sure if am a food addict( I'm not denying as such) however ALL MY LIFE i have been BIG my biggest was 310 and i am now at 288 and i know i need to do something about or its going to ruin my life if it has not done so already i have to admit i love food i am not so sure if i love eating it i even get angry with my wife when she asks me what do you want for dinner i am sick f hearing it , its almost like a task you have to work at , enough already, am i making any sense i think i am fighting this "food addict" issue almost like i cant or wont admit it as a result of if i have an issue i have to do something about it and maybe i am denying the obvious, i don't want to be held accountable for this disorder i have enough shame in my life already,

More history 001.JPG

I came to the conclusion that I am a food addict after reading several books These books also tell one how to deal with the addiction. Boiled down to the basics: one must avoid trigger foods just as an alcoholic must abstain from alcohol. The usual trigger foods are are sugar, flour. white potatoes, rice, and processed food. "Processed food" is anything in a bag or box in the center aisles of the supermarket. Shop the exterior aisles where one finds fresh produce, meats, poultry, dairy, and frozen vegetables.

There is a withdrawal period that is uncomfortable, but after a couple of weeks the cravings for the trigger foods diminish. Unless one of the trigger foods is sitting right In front of me, I no longer have difficulty avoiding them.

I have lost 93 lbs by cutting out these things, 70 lbs prior to RNy revision surgery and another 23 lbs to date post surgery,

I recommend these books

Food Junkies: Recovery from Food Addiction by Vera Tarman

Weight Loss Surgery Does Not Treat Food Addiction by Connie Stapleton

Why Diets Fail (Because you're Addicted to Sugar) by Nicole Avena & John Talbott

Food Junkies.jpg

Why diets Fail.jpg

WLS Does Not Treat Adiction.jpg

Hi OP -

There's no real evidence to suggest 'food addiction' exists*, but it's a highly American (especially) way of separating harmful behaviors from the self. Unfortunately, alcohol and narcotics are very different from food, and as such, it's it theorized understanding eating disorder as 'addiction' isn't helpful.

You already got a lot of helpful answers in your previous threads about eating disorders (which certain do clinically exist), did you get a chance to reflect on whether that may be something to look into?

*https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0149763414002140

Highlights

Evidence for addiction to specific macronutrients is lacking in humans.
•“Eating addiction” describes a behavioral addiction.
•An “eating addiction” is not necessarily associated with obesity.
•Obesity prevention strategies should focus on “eating addiction”.
•Consider “eating addiction” as a disorder in DSM-5 “Non-Substance-Related Disorders”.

As mentioned in my response to one of your previous posts, counseling would be a good idea now pre-surgery so you can deal with some of these issues.

You talk a lot about 'shame' in your posts. Do you 'shame ' yourself or do others 'shame' you ? If its others that do it to you, then its a form of bullying and as such should be frowned upon. Where I come from there is quite a pithy saying thats very useful. 'Even your Sh1t stinks you know' If you find shame in yourself you need to work on it, this kind of negativity is a useless waste of your energy. Find something every day that you are proud about doing. Start small, for me it may be - a clean house, a walk I managed or on my deepest black days, getting in the shower. BTW I love the moonlit picture. Take care.

15 hours ago, thinblueline said:

Like i said i am not sure if am a food addict( I'm not denying as such) however ALL MY LIFE i have been BIG my biggest was 310 and i am now at 288 and i know i need to do something about or its going to ruin my life if it has not done so already i have to admit i love food i am not so sure if i love eating it i even get angry with my wife when she asks me what do you want for dinner i am sick f hearing it , its almost like a task you have to work at , enough already, am i making any sense i think i am fighting this "food addict" issue almost like i cant or wont admit it as a result of if i have an issue i have to do something about it and maybe i am denying the obvious, i don't want to be held accountable for this disorder i have enough shame in my life already,

More history 001.JPG

I think we have seen a number of posts from you in the past couple weeks that indicate you are really struggling with some mental/emotional issues that need to be addressed if you are going to be successful in your weight loss journey. The struggle is not only having the surgery and the weight loss begins but the mental aspect of it. You have to be mentally committed to getting it done and be able to resist temptation. In addition to the eating portion in a physical sense, if you are not mentally OK with your life and your situation, you are not going to be successful. I urge you to get some counselling ASAP if you are going to go on this weight loss journey.

First of all i have been in therapy for the last 9 yrs. and i don't have any "Mental issues" thank you also i have only been on here for about a week so do me a favor please don't take my inventory ok , thanks....and no i am not attacking you i am clearly setting a boundarie' with you. You seem to have some control issues going on😎. Have a good day.

2 minutes ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

🤔

Whats wrong ?

4 hours ago, thinblueline said:

First of all i have been in therapy for the last 9 yrs. and i don't have any "Mental issues" thank you also i have only been on here for about a week so do me a favor please don't take my inventory ok , thanks....and no i am not attacking you i am clearly setting a boundarie' with you. You seem to have some control issues going on😎. Have a good day.

You are taking "mental issues" in the way that counselling is considered a stigma. I certainly didn't mean it in the negative sense at all. I am saying that before you have the surgery you should have these concerns and worries worked out because it is a tough road once you get it done and for those who are still struggling with things, it is hard to be succesful.

I apologize for taking offense when you were trying to help,Take care

16 hours ago, thinblueline said:

Whats wrong ?

I guess I'm just confused about your replies. You stated you have no mental issues, but on another thread I read your reply about having bipolar disorder. It's kind of difficult to reply to you when on one thread you admit to a condition, then on another thread you deny having mental issues. We're all here to support each other and discuss the topics surrounding weight loss surgeries. We all want to see each other be successful with weight loss, but it's hard to give support when there's hostility and denial in these threads. We have to be 100% completely honest with ourselves or else we won't be successful.

I agree with other posters that have suggested counseling that encompasses not only bipolar/mood issues but also any possible issues with food. It's the best way to ensure that your weight loss surgery is successful. Weight loss surgery is a surgery on your stomach, not your brain. It will not fix any issues going on mentally.

Best wishes to you.

3 hours ago, WhispersOfAngel said:

I guess I'm just confused about your replies. You stated you have no mental issues, but on another thread I read your reply about having bipolar disorder. It's kind of difficult to reply to you when on one thread you admit to a condition, then on another thread you deny having mental issues. We're all here to support each other and discuss the topics surrounding weight loss surgeries. We all want to see each other be successful with weight loss, but it's hard to give support when there's hostility and denial in these threads. We have to be 100% completely honest with ourselves or else we won't be successful.

I agree with other posters that have suggested counseling that encompasses not only bipolar/mood issues but also any possible issues with food. It's the best way to ensure that your weight loss surgery is successful. Weight loss surgery is a surgery on your stomach, not your brain. It will not fix any issues going on mentally.

Best wishes to you.

Very well said. I was also trying to get across your statement that it is a stomach surgery, not a brain surgery. That is a great way to put it and so true.

I have no illusions that i have to see and work with someone who deals with BED otherwise i am screwed i have to do ther work not the therapist he / she is simply a tool with suggestions to show me what i need to do with this disease that will cripple me if i am not open to her help if i fight it then that's on me.

Coop

Don't sit it out 013.JPG