Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet, hungry, not losing weight

I'm in my pre-op diet stage. My surgery is March 17th. I'm doing exactly what I'm suppose to and I'm so hungry and I haven't lost any weight. What's wrong with me??

Hi. We could use a little more information. Maybe like how long is your preop diet and how long you been on it? It varies so greatly and what kind of diet... Some are on liquid diet only and some can eat low calorie foods. Also fill out your sidebar. it helps a ton :)

You’re going to be really hungry, unfortunately. I had to do it for three weeks and was pretty miserable the whole time. Try to fill up on sugar free beverages which will make you feel more full and keep things moving.

1 hour ago, JessiPhoenix said:

Second, what is a sidebar?

The sidebar is where your surgery stats are located. It tells which surgery you had, surgery date, height, weight and BMI. It's difficult for advice to be given if we have little to no information about you.

Here's a thread for reference:

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/440117-sidebars-can-bp-help-nudge-users-to-fill-in-their-info/?tab=comments#comment-4958281

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and maybe a lot of people might not agree with this, but I wonder if during the pre op diet if bariatric surgeons would prescribe GLP-1 agonists to help survive the pre op period, it would help with compliance. I mean the goal is to eat less and healthier and to shrink the liver. It's a tool that could help get a person through the pre op period successfully.

It's a tool just like our surgeries are a tool we use to get to a healthy weight.🤷‍♀️

Not everyone loses weight on the pre op

diet. It is actually designed to shrink the liver only. Most people also lose weight but not all. The important thing is to stick to the diet so that your liver shrinks And your surgeon can go on with the surgery as planned.

Edited by ShoppGirl

I had a 3 week pre op of non carbohydrate vegetables, 1 low fat yogurt, 1 piece of fruit and 40 oz [ 2 pints] of skimmed milk. I had sugar free ice sticks and I was allowed coffee, thank the gods for that. I cook, I researched the food I could have really well. It was still the most torturous time of my life. As I was self pay, I didn't dare cheat but oh boy, was I a happy woman when the day came to have my op. In the end I lost 15 pounds eating salads, Thai broths with veg and Water noodles in and lots of roasted vegetables with aged balsamic vinegar. After 4 days I wasn't hungry just very very bored. Stick at it, Your time in food prison will soon pass

1 hour ago, summerseeker said:

It was still the most torturous time of my life. As I was self pay, I didn't dare cheat but oh boy, was I a happy woman when the day came to have my op.

LOL! Same here. I was never so glad to be rolled into an operating room as I was that morning. That damn pre-op diet was OVER!!!!

I only lost 1 lb on the pre-op diet. Like you, I was able to eat "real" food, just very low carb and low fat. I had already lost almost 50 lbs, so that is likely why I didn't lose much - I had already lost the weight that comes off quickly (AKA Water weight).

I see that your surgery is today; hope you're feeling okay.

Thank you for the well wishes! I'm on day 2 post op. I was in alot of pain Thursday and had really bad gas that I just could not get out. I walked and walked and still nothing until Friday evening. I am feeling much better now.