Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crazy brain

I'm having fun, having a good time, eating some food. Obviously a radical departure from pre-surgery where I ate top quality, beautiful food in serious quantity, copious beer and wine and loved it. But still. I'm fine. But I'm... dreaming of cigarettes. So embarrassing. Haven't smoked in years but I'm having these super realistic dreams about smoking.

I try and eat really good quality food now. As I eat such small amounts the cost is smallish ... I get fish and seafood from our local market, I love mussels, scallops, crab and clams. I cant wait till June when I holiday in Spain and get some Boquerones . I dont feel as if I am missing out. Myself and my husband gave up the fags in 2010. I have never ever wanted another, in fact the smell revolts me. My husband on the other hand dreams he smokes all the time and loves to stand and chat with smokers so he can breath in the second hand smoke . Cigarettes are almost £11 a pack of 20 in the UK I think its only the price that keeps him off them.

I still occasionally have dreams in which I'm smoking - and I quit smoking 27 years ago! I think addictions can be like that - whether food, cigarettes, alcohol, etc - they can remain part of your self-identity even years after you quit (or in the case of food, after you tackle your bad eating habits).

5 hours ago, Pollito said:

I'm having these super realistic dreams about smoking.

Your self-identity is changing now, just as it did when you quit smoking, and your brain is processing that. (I have super realistic dreams about smoking, too, but I only quit fourteen months ago, so I'm still learning to think of myself as a non-smoker.)

Must be something. Maybe I've eliminated a large chunk of my relationship with food so my subconscious is trying to reach for an equivalent relationship with something else.

I was 10-ish years smoke free and around 9 months post op (back in 2019), i had a damn cigarette on vacation. Been quitting and un-quitting ever since. Ugh.

Currently in “un-quit” mode.

Dream as much as u want, if need be, but dont even start if u can help it! Its easier to brush off a dream than the nicotine in your system.