Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trip planned. Suggestions welcomed for soft foods.

Hello everyone,

I realize I have to take two flights, stay four days in a UK AirBnB and take two more flights, all while on my soft foods stage.
I’ve been really good at finding healthy, nutritious food while being at home since my surgery (Feb 3), but I’m concerned about what I’ll eat away from home. Does anyone have tips for what I can grab away from home? How to manage an airplane flight of 9 hours or so? Any advice is welcomed.
Thank you.

Can you have fish at this stage? I could and so I basically lived on it. I traveled during the soft food stage and this stuff is available everywhere in the UK:

cans of tuna

greek yogurt

Protein pudding (I can't remember the name but it's a German brand and it's pretty good)

soft cheeses

For the plane, you might get lucky and sometimes airlines serve fish or mushy vegetables, which you could have.Otherwise bring some protein oatmeal with you, a little tupperware container, and ask the flight attendant for hot Water and make that as many times as you need during the flight. Whenever I travel I take this with me as a backup food because all you need is hot water to make it.

Thank you for this post...I will be travelling when I am at week 5 so on my program that is the beginning of "regular" food if I can tolerate it. The Protein oatmeal is something I will need to get my hands on and bring with me since I will be in the Caribbean and not sure what they will have readily available for me to buy. I guess I could take RTD Protein Shakes with me as well if I check my bag or just take Protein Powder and still be able to use a carry on only.

On the plane: babybel cheese that you can carry on in your handbag

In the UK: Soups, hummus, eggs, baked Beans,

I have been traveling since 4 weeks out from surgery more weeks than not.

Here are some ideas (bearing in mind most of my travel is in the US, so I'm not sure what brands you have):

Fat free, artificially sweetened or plain greek yogurt. Basically, you want no or low added sugar. You can get that from a grocery store and occasionally in airports (usually the yogurt is full of sugar, but you might get lucky!).

Refried Beans

Ground meat (mince) based dishes like chili, tacos, Ma po Tofu, etc.

Soft cheeses

Protein Drinks (or if you're further out, Protein bars)

Soup - cream of whatever, bean soup, etc

Apple sauce

Oatmeal (no sugar added)

banana

Mashed veggies like sunchoke, cauliflower, potato, etc

Hardboiled eggs with hummus

If you are five weeks out and eating normal foods, it's really easy: you can go to a supermarket and buy deli meat, pre chopped veggies/fruit, hummus, cheese, etc. Or at restaurants: chili, soup, the inside of tacos or lasagna, hamburger minus the bun, flaky fish, etc.