Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I ever be able to eat normal size bites again? Strange question I know - I really didn’t expect to miss something so silly. I find I want to take a “real” bite. Does anyone else ever feel that way? I am only 7 weeks out and on more normal food now but I sure miss normal size bites.

I think I have been able to do normal sized bites. It'll be 3 months end of this month, so I am sure you'll be able to as well with time.

I am surprised with your BMI though, 31 and yet they managed to do bypass on you? Do you mind sharing your reasoning behind the surgery and why you chose bypass? Is it a revision one for you or first time?

When I went I first met to discuss surgery my BMI was 35.5. My family has a history of diabetes and high cholesterol. Heart complications from the diabetes have been an issue and it all seems to start about age 50. I’m 47. After much discussion with my nutritionist and my doctor - with a million times trying to lose weight my entire life - we decided on surgery to ensure these genetic issues would not be an issue. I had a vertebral artery dissection (spontaneous - had been is great health) at the age of 40. After the stroke I gained weight AGAIN and never could lose it. No matter what I did. Bypass because after an endoscopy it was discovered I have A typical reflux - I had NO idea! I felt nothing and my esophagus was burned badly. I also found out I had a hiatal hernia. So long long story short - there you go - :)

I have been able to do Normal sized bites all along. I just chew them better most of the time. Honestly I have caught myself eating fast and it doesn’t bother me but I try to chew better and slow down between bites.

I'm six months out from bypass surgery, and I can now take normal bites. It's essential to eat slowly and chew thoroughly, however. It did take me a long time to be able to get to a "normal" way of eating. I had a good four months of only being able to eat 1/4 cup maximum twice a day, and taking the tiniest of bites.

It took time, however. It's a long road that does settle into something more regular, but you have to ride out the early weeks and months.

I still tend to take smaller bites. Not teaspoons but not big mouthfuls. Partly because larger bites tend to mean larger swallows which make my restriction kick in. But also because it moderates how much I eat & how long I take to eat it - more mindful eating. I also still cut up my meat when I’m at home. But that’s me & everyone is different in what they can do or like to do.

12 hours ago, heddenturner said:

I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. But I wish you all the best for your post-Op journey in reaching your goal. 🤗

You'll get used to it and it'll become a new way of life for you.

I take normal-sized bites. I didn't the first few weeks or months out of surgery, but I do now.

By 3 months I was taking pretty normal bites of the things that I eat. I try to remember to chew more and eat slowly. I was surprised by how fast I was able to do so.