Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nothing's changed really. I still can't swallow liquids, including my own saliva. I've "thrown up" (I don't know if you call it a PB when it's only your own saliva, or a bit of water) well over 100 times now, and am scared that doing so might effect my band position, but my doctor says that it won't, since I'm not throwing up food.< /p>

I weigh 306 lbs now. I was 327 on the morning of surgery, 4 days ago, and 340 lbs two weeks before that. Obviously, I've lost an unhealthy amount of Water. I spent 6 hours at home yesterday on an IV getting 2 liters of saline (one of the benefits of having an RN for a wife is not needed to spend those 6 hours at the doctor's office or ER).

Because I'm unable to take any liquids (or, of course, solids, such as pills), I've not had my anti-depressant for 5 days now, nor have I had *any* pain medication. (Well, I did submit to a tylenol suppository a couple of days ago, but it did nothing for me.) I wake up several times a night choking on my own "vomit". (Fortunately it's not enough to actually asphixiate me.) And all day, I have the "golf ball" feeling in my esophogeal tube.

I was addicted to food, no doubt. You guys understand what that's like. So I've been 5 days without my "vice", and 5 days "cold-turkey" off my anti-depressant, and I can't even take ice chips -- you probably have a good idea of how I feel. Instead of focusing on the things I *can* have, because I just can't have *anything* right now, all I can focus on is the things I'll never have again.

I'm just not in a good place right now, emotionally or physically. Others have said that this is "so normal I'd be disappointed". If that's the case, believe me when I tell you I'm not disappointed. I'm scared to death that something's really wrong. If this is just the normal way of things, I'd love to hear some stories about how you all thought you'd made the biggest mistake of your life, but that now the band is the "best thing ever".

And I know when I posted before, several people had suggestions about eating ice chips, etc. -- believe me when I tell you, I can't keep *anything* down. If I *sip* a tiny sip of water, it comes up within 60 seconds. I may not be at 100% restriction, but whatever level it is it is such that it can't keep up with normal saliva production.

I would *kill* to be able to chug down a 16 oz glass of Ice Tea. Please please please someone tell me there's an ice-tea-chugging in my future? Please?

Jonathan-

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I was one of those that recovered very fast with little trouble so I can't tell you that I've been through it and know what you're going through but I wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you.

As long as you are in constant contact with your doctor, and you're on fluids, I'm assuming that you aren't going to die. You may feel like it, but odds are pretty slim. I know for me that every PB I have, I get more and more swollen. I hope that once you get a tiny bit unswollen you'll be able to keep your siliva down, at least.

I sure hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us posted and I'll be sure to send positive thoughts your way.

Megan

Jonathan, I'm not a medical professional, but throwing up is throwing up...regardless of whether you have any food involved or not. Your body still goes through the same convulsive moves. This has been going on for several days and you don't seem to be any better. And this has to be keeping you swollen inside. Please consider visiting your lapband surgeon ASAP.

Jonathan, I'm not a medical professional, but throwing up is throwing up...regardless of whether you have any food involved or not. Your body still goes through the same convulsive moves. This has been going on for several days and you don't seem to be any better. And this has to be keeping you swollen inside. Please consider visiting your lapband surgeon ASAP.

I saw him yesterday. He said the only thing we can do is keep giving me saline when I need it and wait it out. I *could* go in the hospital, get my saline there, and they could give me steroids too to help reduce the swelling, and I might finally get some pain medication too, but since insurance won't pay for it, and I spent every last dime I had (and borrowed from my mom) for the surgery in the first place, I'm really afraid to.

If I still can't keep anything down when I wake up tomorrow, I'll call him again and see if he has any other ideas... ;)

Jonathan... I'm so damned sorry this is happening to you... I can only imagine your misery. It really sounds like you may have to give in for the hospitalization... it is concerning that there has been zero improvement. I hope somebody out there will burst out with a story of... "yeah... the exact same thing happened to me"... until then... so glad you are married to a nurse and hope you can escape another hospitalization.

Post-op swelling can be bad sometimes, I have heard stories like this that resolve ultimately. As you have rightly determined that the most important thing is to keep well-hydrated, and are keeping in close touch with your doctor, you're taking the right steps so far. If it were me I'd give it another day or so, but then have to take the bull by the horns and get some medication. It may just be swelling or it may be that something else is going on, and after a week I'd think your doctor would be worried, too.

Here's hoping it's just swelling and that you feel better VERY SOON!!

jonathan if i were you i would be on my way to the Er

demanding an x-ray to make sure there is no blockage. something is not right. your should be able to get down liquids by now and i agree throwing up is throwing up. have them check to see if your band has slipped. the day i had my surgery there was a lady in the hospital who had her surgery the week before me and was still there and when i asked why she told me her band had slipped before she even left the hospital. i asked how did she know and she told me she could not even keep down her own saliva anything that went into her mouth came right back up. if your wife is a nurse she has got to think that this is not normal right? call your doctor today.

I know a man that had the band and had to stay in the hospital for about 4-6 weeks on IV's cause the same thing happened to him. He got banded and could not keep anything down. He was a big man and I guess when they put the band on him the band totally restricted him. That is a guess only!! But, this has been in Sept or Oct of 04 and I know he still has the band and is losing weight. Best of luck to u and hang in there....u should eventually be able to gulp tea. That is until u get a fill:-)

jonathan if i were you i would be on my way to the Er

demanding an x-ray to make sure there is no blockage. something is not right. your should be able to get down liquids by now and i agree throwing up is throwing up. have them check to see if your band has slipped.

I agree 100% with this action. ESPECIALLY if one wouldnt be able to take their anti-dep. med's. ...thats a scary thought (stopping them cold-turkey is even scarier)!

Maybe your doctor isnt experienced enough to figure out what to do with you... just a guess ~ in that case, you have to take matters into your own hands. Our bodies 'will' to survive is actually as strong as our mental state. This means that only YOU can determine how long you are able to tolerate this.

About the insurance thing. My new insurance will not pay for an adjustment/fill - but if I was having problems and needed testing, they would pay for that, as long as the testing did not say it was band related. Does that make sense? In other words - dont lie, just dont tell the insurance everything.

I know a man that had the band and had to stay in the hospital for about 4-6 weeks on IV's

Oh hell no! I can put up with this maybe another day... *maybe* another week. 4-6 weeks? No, that's not gonna happen. Even if I could handle it physically, I couldn't mentally.

I'm gonna go try to drink a little Water and see what happens.. but I feel tighter today than ever. ;)

Oh Johathon,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I hope you get better and fast. Did the Water stay down this time? I would agree with the others you should go to the ER just to rule out anything else I would think your insurance would cover a emerg visit would'nt they??

Prayers that you get some slack at least to take your meds..

Forgot to ask you some Dr's add a fill when they band you Did he???

One more thing...

(Im sure youve already thought of this, but I wanted to mention it)

try sipping warm tea, coffee, broth - something warm/hot. The cold tends to restrict more.

One more thing...

(Im sure youve already thought of this, but I wanted to mention it)

try sipping warm tea, coffee, broth - something warm/hot. The cold tends to restrict more.

Thank you, I kept meaning to ask whether hot or cold was better. Think a heating pad might be useful too? I'm sipping coffee right now. So far 3 teaspoons and I'm not dying... there's hope yet...