Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:help: I have been struggling with this decision for over 2 years. I have tried every diet known to man and just can't seem to succeed. I am currently at 265 lbs and fear I will just get bigger. I considered the Lap Band for over a year and a half before finally telling my mom that I wanted to look into it. Thought she was all for it, but after she went to the seminar with me, she became scared of it. She talked me into giving dieting another try. That was back in August. Since then I have gone from 269 lbs to 256 lbs and then back up to 265 lbs.

Now it is December and I am kicking myself for not doing what I felt was right for me. I could have been banded by now. When I see and read the success stories, I get very hopefull. Yet, when I read the possible complications, I get scared. I worry that I will spend all that money on another gimmick that I will just fail at. My cousin had the Duodenal Switch done. She says she has never had the problem of food getting stuck or PB. Of course that is surgically altering your insides permantly.

If anyone could please give me some personal input on their experience good or bad, I would really appreciate it.

Teri, I understand your struggle with the decision. I cannot discuss my success or failure with you because my band date is not until january. but the decision to have surgey and which to have is difficult. A friend of mine had bypass a year ago and cannot understand why why I would concider the lap band which seems so complicated to her ..fills and more follow up. Having had 2 cancer scares I could not concider a surgery that was not reversable. If the need arises I can be unfilled or have the band removed. It took me a year of research and browsing forums for answes to my many questions before i contacted a surgeon. Take your time with your decision.

My mom does not totally understand my struggle with my weight either. If she wants to loose weight all she does is cut the starch from her evening meal. So, how can she understand that I have been on adkins for 2 months and have only lost 5 lbs. she weighs 15 lbs above her honeymoon weight and has been married 50 years. I am 120 lbs over my weight in college. and it is a struggle to loose even 5 lbs!

Take your time with your decision and make the one that is right for you...I am afraid of the surgery..all surgery is scary. But, I am confident in my decision to have it. if you decide to go through with it maybe you won't be too far behind me..i am looking forward to a healthier "08!

Thank you for your understanding and input. I went to a seminar last night and now I am confident I am making the right decision. Good Luck with your surgery.

I also have tried every diet I could think of the only one that seems to work for me is if I eliminate carbs and exercise every day. I lost 20 pounds. But then I thought I am going to be like this forever. I went off the diet and am 5 lbs heavier then when I first started.

My mom suggested liposuction and I immediately thought of the the lapband I had looked into it before and now I am convinced I really want to do it. I am terrified of not waking up from the surgery though but I think this is the right step for me.

I also have tried every diet I could think of the only one that seems to work for me is if I eliminate carbs and exercise every day. I lost 20 pounds. But then I thought I am going to be like this forever. I went off the diet and am 5 lbs heavier then when I first started.

My mom suggested liposuction and I immediately thought of the the lapband I had looked into it before and now I am convinced I really want to do it. I am terrified of not waking up from the surgery though but I think this is the right step for me.

My mom does not totally understand my struggle with my weight either. If she wants to loose weight all she does is cut the starch from her evening meal. So, how can she understand that I have been on adkins for 2 months and have only lost 5 lbs. she weighs 15 lbs above her honeymoon weight and has been married 50 years. I am 120 lbs over my weight in college. and it is a struggle to loose even 5 lbs!

I am 100 pounds over my college weight - that was 25 years ago and I have been yo-yo dieting ever since.

My DH and I went on Atkins - he got thin as a rail (didn't have much to lose - just supporting me) and I was in ketosis the entire time and lost 15 pounds in 6 months. I showed him the ketostix in case he didn't believe I wasn't "cheating". I have done WW, too - lost some weight but always gained it back. To do that, my entire life had to revolve around planning, shopping, cooking, weighing, measuring - a royal pain in the you-know-what.

Before kids, I was thin and only had to do what your mother has to in order to keep my weight under control - cut back a bit. I never could understand how people could get so big. Well, now I know. I thought you had to spend all your time eating to consume enough calories to stay big, but I did not understand about metabolism or chronic overeating which stretches your stomach out so it takes a lot more food to feel full and satisfied.

I am signed up for the info seminar next Thu, so I have taken the first step in this journey.

well glad to see you make your own decisions dont let anyone run your life I had surgery two weeks ago and have already lost 18 lbs i had the surgery on wednesday was back to almost normal by sat I have nothing bad to say about lap band just thought i would help you out

One of the most positive aspects of the band is that it assists with "portion control".

I have worked out for 24 years and felt I was eating all the right foods: skim milk, Cereal, tuna, yogurt, cottage cheese, very little red meat, lots of veggies. BUT what I never realized was that nothing was going to stop my body from requiring lots of food to fill up my stretched tummy--even if it was the good stuff!!

I almost laughed when they said my insurance company wanted a list of everything I had done over the years to lose weight--what a list I provided them with! And none of the list ever worked for a longer period of time than six months!

I'm proud of each of you for wanting a better quality to your lives and to avoid those ailments which will inevitably befall every one of us.

Good luck to each of you! :)

Oh, wow, do I hear you!!! It's not my mom I'm contending with though, It's my DH. He says he likes me this way, that he's afraid I won't love him anymore, that he won't like me (you know, skinny people are crabby people!) or that I'll regret taking this step! I've gone the distance to have this surgery. I met with my surgen Wednesday and now I'm just waiting to hear from my insurance company to find out if I've been approved. I know I'm making the right decision. I've been through all the diets like the rest of you. I just can't make my DH understand this is for me! The trouble is, I'm really sure I will be able to live with him if it turns out he's right and I am sorry I did this, or if he can't be supportive when I have bad days. He's such an important part of my life, and I really don't want to do anything to jeopardize our marriage. He's told me I have to make up my own mind, and I've told him I already have, I just need him to be able to support me through the tough stuff. He says he will, but I'm not so sure he can.... :)

I think a post in this thread is very correct. Many of us who are very obese, have stretched stomachs. This makes it almost impossible to feel full, without consuming a lot of stuff. Either we are always hungry, denying ourselves food, or we overeat and our diet fails.

When I was banded, and woke up, after being placed in my room I tried to drink just 3 sips of bottled Water. I felt as if I was more stuffed than after any holiday dinner of my life. The feeling of fullness lasted for quite some time, and I realized my large stomach, stretched for whatever reason would have prevented me from losing significant amounts of weight.

I'm still starting, having just been banded, but I do not have the appetite prior to the banding. It is much easier to feel full. This makes it much easier to eat less and feel good about it.

My fear was of having a small stomach, and being hungry, essentially having a void that could not be filled. So far with the band, it has become a very easy to fill void.

I wish there was a measurement of stomach to body weight and potential to weight loss to help people realize if they can loose weight. I think if they had more science down, and could demonstrate the advantage of banding or other weight loss surgery, more people would consider it.

Whatever you decide, ultimately, it is your life, and your life experience. God bless you and good luck making your decision.

I am at work and just browsing the site (dont tell the boss !!!! :huggie:) and when I saw a comment I wanted to toss in my 2 cents....

You said //She says she has never had the problem of food getting stuck or PB.// Well I have had my band for over a year and I have never PB'd either. This was actually 1 of my fears before surgery and I spoke to my surgeon about it...he told me that it was *completely* up to me if I got food stuck or not. He said if I am aware of what I eat, how I eat and how much, I didn't need to throw up.

Now don't get me wrong...I eat everything I want. And yes, I have good restriction (3.25CC's in a 4CC band) I avoid bread, Pasta and rice but could probably eat it if I wanted.... I can eat all meats, all salads, all fruit and veggies with no problems. Eat slowly and be aware of what your tummy is telling you and you'll be fine !!!!

Good luck on your journey !!!!

Patricia

11/16/06

306/205/175ish I think...

Surgery/Today/Goal