Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what do You expect post op as far as Medications.. Do they give you Pain Meds, For how long, Do they really help? Are you able to use full strength Medications? Does the surgery Effect your ability to absorb medications?

Sent from my SM-A716U using BariatricPal mobile app

The surgery affects your ability to absorb some medications but mostly extended release ones. The pain medication they give you post surgery varies from dr to dr. Some people are on a morphine pump while others have claimed all they could get was Tylenol. I woke up already on pain meds but asked them to taper them down and only Needed Tylenol. I wasn’t in much pain. I don’t think my

dr used the air because I didn’t have gas pains at all. I just felt like I did about 1000 crunches.

It's super variable depending on your doctor. Mine had me start Lyrica a few days before surgery and continue for a few days after. I also had Tylenol of course and oxycodone as needed, but I was so terrified of Constipation that I only used the narcotics as a last resort.

Varies Dr. to Dr. I was given tylenol while at the hospital, with morphene on request (limited by time, qty).

Dr. sent me home with just Tylenol (disolve packs). He mentioned that he prefer to steer away from narcotics (Percocet, etc), because they tend to slow down digestion, increase Constipation. I was fine with just Tylenol.

I was given a short prescription for Oxycodone, but I never took any. My surgeon installed a pain pump (delivers local anesthetic internally for a few days) but mine fell out two days after surgery, should have been in around 4 days. I only had some pain meds the day of surgery and that night. Otherwise, I didn't even take an aspirin. There mostly wasn't pain unless I was moving certain ways or sometimes when drinking and I didn't think that warranted pain meds.

I consider myself lucky.

4 hours ago, ShoppGirl said:

The surgery affects your ability to absorb some medications but mostly extended release ones. The pain medication they give you post surgery varies from dr to dr. Some people are on a morphine pump while others have claimed all they could get was Tylenol. I woke up already on pain meds but asked them to taper them down and only Needed Tylenol. I wasn’t in much pain. I don’t think my

dr used the air because I didn’t have gas pains at all. I just felt like I did about 1000 crunches.

Gosh I pray I am That Lucky... I think I will be fine, But it looks scary and I have had 4 back surgeries. LOL I Hope I am as Strong as you... Thank You..

We all feel pain differently & respond differently to the surgery. I was given opioids in hospital & a week’s supply to take home but discovered when I did get home I didn’t really need them. By day 4 I think I had one over the counter pain med & that was all. I didn’t have any gas pain nor really any pulled abdominal muscles. Don’t worry when my surgeon removed my gall two years later I had it all but again only took the opioids for the first 36/48hrs.

Check with your prescribing doctors about your other meds to find out where they are absorbed. Some are absorbed in your tummy & some in your intestines. Depending upon your surgery if your’s do you may have to seek alternatives. (Some are absorbed in your kidneys or your liver too but those won’t be a worry for you after surgery.) Better to be sure.

Hope all goes well with your surgery.

I live in one of those states with really strict, short prescribing limits on opioids so I got enough vicodin to last me about 5 days. At the time I didn't feel like it was enough. If you are in a situation like mine, once you've taken half of the pills, start breaking them in half, because the drop from a whole vicodin to just Tylenol is pretty rough.

I walked quite a bit in the hospital the first two days to get the gas out. Had Tylenol for pain and was off it by day 4.

Do they give you Pain Meds, For how long, Do they really help? I had VSG, with 2 nights in the hospital. While in the hospital they gave me they heavy duty stuff, when discharged I got a script for a non-opioid pain med. Used it for 2 days then pitched the rest. long term post-op you will not be able to take NSAIDs (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, etc.) so you'll want to stock up on acetaminophen. This is due to the risk of stomach ulcers from NSAID use. If you need something stronger (for example for migraines) you'll need to talk to your doctor.

Are you able to use full strength Medications? Does the surgery Effect your ability to absorb medications? VSG generally does not create malabsorption, so medications aren't typically impacted. RNY and MGB do create malabsorption, so medication adjustments might be needed. Specifically, if you take extended/delayed release meds, you may need to switch to standard release, with doses spread out over the course of the day. Some med dosages may need to be adjusted as you lose weight and your body changes (cholesterol, blood pressure, insulin, etc.).

All of these should be monitored by and discussed with your surgeon and/or PCP.