Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May I make a suggestion?

If you are having a week of liquid diet (not uncommon), start a week earlier and just start replacing meals with shakes. Then when you have to do the actual liquid, you've already "stepped down" and it's not this plunge over the abyss from food funerals to all shakes. It's truly not that bad, you just have to get used to it. The shakes are quite filling.

The first week after surgery (I had VSG) was definitely tough, but it got better and better. I had some nausea but my surgeon prescribed ondansetron (what they give chemo patients to control the nausea) and also put a seasickness patch behind my ear in the surgery prep room that lasted 72 hours and was amazing.

The biggest problem for me was the gas. They pump you full of surgical gas to inflate stuff so they can work laparoscopically and that gas doesn't magically get sucked out. It hurts sometimes, and in weird places. But it IS manageable. Walking helps A LOT, and so does Gas-X (simethicone). I was told I could have as much simethicone as I wanted.

I did not have a lot of pain. I do not take opioid medication so I refused the "happy pills" they wanted to prescribe. I took four doses of extra-strength acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol/Panadol) over two days and that was it.

You might want to ask your surgeon about a Water pill for the day after surgery to get rid of all the surgical Fluid (saline) they put in you, so you can pee it out. She might say no, though, because some people have trouble getting all their fluids in and dehydration is a worry.

May I make a suggestion?

If you are having a week of liquid diet (not uncommon), start a week earlier and just start replacing meals with shakes. Then when you have to do the actual liquid, you've already "stepped down" and it's not this plunge over the abyss from food funerals to all shakes. It's truly not that bad, you just have to get used to it. The shakes are quite filling.

The first week after surgery (I had VSG) was definitely tough, but it got better and better. I had some nausea but my surgeon prescribed ondansetron (what they give chemo patients to control the nausea) and also put a seasickness patch behind my ear in the surgery prep room that lasted 72 hours and was amazing.

The biggest problem for me was the gas. They pump you full of surgical gas to inflate stuff so they can work laparoscopically and that gas doesn't magically get sucked out. It hurts sometimes, and in weird places. But it IS manageable. Walking helps A LOT, and so does Gas-X (simethicone). I was told I could have as much simethicone as I wanted.

I did not have a lot of pain. I do not take opioid medication so I refused the "happy pills" they wanted to prescribe. I took four doses of extra-strength acetaminophen/paracetamol (Tylenol/Panadol) over two days and that was it.

You might want to ask your surgeon about a Water pill for the day after surgery to get rid of all the surgical Fluid (saline) they put in you, so you can pee it out. She might say no, though, because some people have trouble getting all their fluids in and dehydration is a worry.

wow you gave me great insight. I didn't think of the Water pill, i thought i had to deal with the retention and pee it out. Yes, i have gas-x at home, thank you. And yes, ill have a shake a day so this wont be a big shock. Thank you so much

Sent from my SM-G973U using BariatricPal mobile app

The first week is always difficult on the all shake diet (my surgeon called it hell week) because you are breaking a lot of your addictions & dependencies (sugar, carbs, caffeine, etc.). Any weakness, headaches, etc. you may feel in hell week are the withdrawal symptoms. The second week is always easier. The shakes will start the ketosis process, burning your excess stored fat for the additional energy your body needs to function & start the weight loss. Slowly introducing the shakes a week earlier sounds like a way that may ease the transition.

You pee out the Fluid they pump you with in a couple of days. Doubt they would prescribe a diuretic unless the fluid was causing other health complications. But of course we’re all different & our surgeons have different post surgical plans. Those first 24hrs I would have been glad not to have to pee any more than I did. Plus they kept me on IV fluids for 24hrs so to get up & pee, I had to buzz a nurse to get them to disconnect the IV then steer the stand to the bathroom.

Good luck.