Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apena ~*~ I need it!!!!

sleep Tests suck!! I know I have sleep apnea, but with all that crap hooked up all over me, I couldn't even get to sleep. I got about 45 minutes of "sleep" laying on my side, because I can't sleep on my back due to the fat smothering me and my choking... anyway, my test just came back negative because I never slept enough for them to test. But, my doc said it didn't matter anyway since I was well over 40 BMI... I guess they had to check anyway.

I think that sleep apnea test is a bunch of BS!! I had stuff taped all over me, including my throat, which my jugular was taped and kept throbbing and making my whole neck move because of the tape.. It was such a bunch of crap. I've had these done twice now and neither time I could sleep. How can they get a sufficient test done if you never sleep???

I agree with not getting any sleep in the test. All I know, is I now have a CPAP... I don't remember my dreams, I don't wake up all night, and I have energy I didn't have. I was dragging around like a rag before. Also, I am not as hungry since your body trys to compensate for lack of energy by making you hungry. I never would have thought I had sleap apnea before. I know I do now.

My BMI was 35.1 when I first started trying to get approved. I got denied because I didn't have heart disease, lung disease or sleep apnea. By the time I wrote my appeal letter, I had gained a few pounds and my BMI was 36.7.

I had to write a letter of appeal to BCBS. I wrote a letter of medical need, then a letter of emotional need, then I gathered letters of support from my GP, GYN, Podiatrist, and Gastrointerologist. Then my bariatric surgeon sent the entire package through with his endorcement.

BCBS called me directly and said my letter was amazing and that they decided to approve me.

If you have to appeal, I'd be happy to share my letters with you, just post your email and I'll send them to you directly.

Good Luck!

Suzanne

I had sleep apnea even before thinking about the band. It is not BS. It saved my life. There are worse things in life we put up with besides being all hooked up.

I'm having the test done this weekend. I was wondering how to enhance my chances of having Apnea. Does anyone know if they just count the number of times you stop breathing (which I'm afraid I don't do) or if they count the number of times you wake up. What else do they look at? Also, do they watch you sleep or just watch the data on the machines?

Thanks

They hook you up to all kinds of sensors. I doubt if you can fake it. But, I was definite I didn't have sleep apnea but my doctor thought I might. I had moderate to severe sleep apnea. You may just have it too, who knows.

They watch you sleep, monitor how your oxygen level goes down (that is key), you can't fake that, measure when you are in rem, how much you wake up, if you snore, all kinds of things!

Good luck, hope your surgery gets approved.

holly

Here's my concern. The Pulmonary concult is the last test. I don't meet the BMI requirements,(BMI 48)

But the MD wants a sleep Apnea test!!! I'm a Nurse , I see patients have major surgeries without sleep Apnea studies.So why does the Lap Band Docs require this test???I don't have problems sleeping.Any suggestions about why this is such a big deal

deb

I had to have the sleep apnea test to help me qualify with insurance. Its one of the co-morbidities. Havent read all the way through this thread, so forgive me if I repeated someone else. :D

For my test, we took the machine home and hooked ourself up before going to bed. By mistake, instead of my finger, I put my thumb in the hole, which was a tight fit and uncomfortable all night.... now I wonder if that's why I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea? My bmi is (only, haha) 35, but that test is the only reason they approved the surgery!

Hi Mustlose.. the test you took was an overnight pulse oximetry test. It will show if your Oxygen levels go down at the same time your heart rate increases. This generally shows you have sleep apnea.

One of the treatments listed for sleep apnea is to lose weight, most patients would not have sleep apnea if they were at a healthy weight. It has nothing to do with being approved for a surgery. So I believe showing that you have sleep apnea is just another indicator to show that the surgery is medically necessary.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Jencys fro your reply. You know so much about sleep apnea! It sounds from your description that my little mistake could not have caused the sleep apnea diagnosis. I agree that my sleep apnea is caused by my weight and would probably go away if I ever lost weight... I'm wondering why does the insurer consider sleep apnea so serious that they will approve me even though I'm not 40 bmi? Do you know? btw, I have mild sleep apnea. Anyway, I'm just really grateful to be approved. Thanks! :welldoneclap:

sleep apnea can contribute to a range of other complications including cardiovascular disease, hypoxia (low oxygen levels) high blood pressure, etc. If left untreated it can eventually lead to death. So although your BMI may not be 40, the weight you have is contributing to the diagnosis of sleep apnea. I believe the more they learn about sleep apnea the more they understand how important the weight loss aspect is to the treatment. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, mine is severe so I've searched the internet for as much information as I can find. I had no idea how serious this condition is. I've decided to get the lap band because of this condition and I'm turning in my paperwork in a few days. Hopefully everything goes well and the insurance approves and I can schedule the procedure before chickening out! Ha!

sleep apnea can contribute to a range of other complications including cardiovascular disease, hypoxia (low oxygen levels) high blood pressure, etc. If left untreated it can eventually lead to death. So although your BMI may not be 40, the weight you have is contributing to the diagnosis of sleep apnea. I believe the more they learn about sleep apnea the more they understand how important the weight loss aspect is to the treatment. I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, mine is severe so I've searched the internet for as much information as I can find. I had no idea how serious this condition is. I've decided to get the lap band because of this condition and I'm turning in my paperwork in a few days. Hopefully everything goes well and the insurance approves and I can schedule the procedure before chickening out! Ha!

Thanks for the info. It does indeed sound serious... I hope you get approved. I go for my orientation on January 22nd.

If you do have it, then after you get the band you cant use the cpap for 6 weeks. Or it will mess up your stomach.

I was never told that - in fact I was told to bring my machine to surgery with me in case I was having problems breathing. I don't see how a Cpap can affect the stomach?:)

I am a sleep tech. Sedation; such as sleeping pills; (Ambien, Lunesta or any other sedating medication used for relaxation), does increase the number of apneas and hypopneas that a person will have; for the first two hours of a sleep study. It basically exacerbates the situation. This is not falsely testing. It is only showing how bad you can be on your worst night. Often times physicians do prescribe sleeping medication for a sleep study. You must sleep in order to have a sleep study. If your primary physician is against sleep medications for the sleep study; ask for a pre-study consult with the sleep lab physician. Physicians used to be against sleep medication prior to a sleep study; but due to better education; most now know it only helps the situation.

Good Luck,

Sleepygirl

I am a sleep tech. Sedation; such as sleeping pills; (Ambien, Lunesta or any other sedating medication used for relaxation), does increase the number of apneas and hypopneas that a person will have; for the first two hours of a sleep study. It basically exacerbates the situation. This is not falsely testing. It is only showing how bad you can be on your worst night. Often times physicians do prescribe sleeping medication for a sleep study. You must sleep in order to have a sleep study. If your primary physician is against sleep medications for the sleep study; ask for a pre-study consult with the sleep lab physician. Physicians used to be against sleep medication prior to a sleep study; but due to better education; most now know it only helps the situation.

Good Luck,

Sleepygirl