Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I am looking to introduce myself and possibly get some advice or insight from others!
I had a VSG in October of 2016. Weight DOS was 288, lowest weight I reached was 198 within about 6 months of the procedure. I developed terrible reflux that I managed with OTC medications, and maintained this weight loss almost effortlessly (I did go to the gym 4-5x weekly and ate small portions - stuck to the rules as best as I could) until the end of 2019.

But to backtrack a little - I was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 2018, so by the time I was through with chemo, steroids, horrible lethargy...you get the picture... the weight piled back on within a year of finishing treatment, and by the end of 2019, I had gained 60lbs back. I am in no way trying to play the "cancer card" or blame it on that, I know I am fully responsible for the way my weight journey has turned out, but if I had to pinpoint when it started to go downhill, I'm pretty sure it aligned with that.

Presently, I am at 261 and am seeking a revision due to the reflux, a severely dilated fundus that was seen on both a CT and an endoscopy, and the weight regain.

I guess I am just looking for others who are also seeking a revision, or others who have recently had one who may have any words of wisdom!

Lastly, I have Harvard Pilgrim and my authorization has been submitted by my surgeon and is now in the "pending medical review" stage. Anyone else with HP, roughly how long did it take to hear back? My program coordinator said anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks, but I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

Thank you for reading and I'm looking forward to "meeting" more people on here! :)

I had revision from VSG to Bypass October 2020 due to severe gastritis, esophagitis and Reflux. I'd been on PPI medication for GERD since well before my sleeve surgery, but it only got worse after. Drugs no longer had any impact and I couldn't sleep unless I was in a recliner. I saw my surgeon in August of 2020, had all the testing done to verify the diagnosis and my insurance approved within a month. I have Aetna insurance, but when the surgery is "medically necessary", it moves pretty quick. I was "overweight", but not obese at the time of the bypass, so weight gain was not a factor in the insurance approval. But I don't think it would have changed the medical necessity of the surgery.

Good news - the surgery was a success, acid reflux is gone, I now sleep in a bed and I've lost almost 60 pounds since surgery. Recovery was rough - I'm a "dumper", so I still have to be careful what I eat, but I am so very happy that I made the decision to have the revision.

Good luck with your surgery!

Before I had my rny (10/19) I had the worst acid reflux! I haven’t had it since the rny. I believe you will get great results from it!

On 8/1/2021 at 5:22 AM, mae7365 said:

I had revision from VSG to Bypass October 2020 due to severe gastritis, esophagitis and Reflux. I'd been on PPI medication for GERD since well before my sleeve surgery, but it only got worse after. Drugs no longer had any impact and I couldn't sleep unless I was in a recliner. I saw my surgeon in August of 2020, had all the testing done to verify the diagnosis and my insurance approved within a month. I have Aetna insurance, but when the surgery is "medically necessary", it moves pretty quick. I was "overweight", but not obese at the time of the bypass, so weight gain was not a factor in the insurance approval. But I don't think it would have changed the medical necessity of the surgery.

Good news - the surgery was a success, acid reflux is gone, I now sleep in a bed and I've lost almost 60 pounds since surgery. Recovery was rough - I'm a "dumper", so I still have to be careful what I eat, but I am so very happy that I made the decision to have the revision.

I'm in the process of getting insurance to approve revision. They do not cover WLS but this is medical, severe reflux. I've been on a PPI for 2 years, and I'm back to 'eating' Tums every day as well.

Just out of curiosity, what foods cause you to dump? My doctor considers it a plus because it keeps most people to be more disciplined with what we eat! If/when I do get a sleeve to RNY revision, I HOPE I experience dumping. Limiting sweets and fried foods would be a good thing!

10 hours ago, StratusPhr said:

I'm in the process of getting insurance to approve revision. They do not cover WLS but this is medical, severe reflux. I've been on a PPI for 2 years, and I'm back to 'eating' Tums every day as well.

Just out of curiosity, what foods cause you to dump? My doctor considers it a plus because it keeps most people to be more disciplined with what we eat! If/when I do get a sleeve to RNY revision, I HOPE I experience dumping. Limiting sweets and fried foods would be a good thing!

Really sweet foods like cake, brownies, Cookies as well as really greasy foods. I also don't tolerate most vegetables. And yes, dumping is a good reminder! But as far as discipline goes, it's more a matter of making choices. If I'm at a birthday party and I really want a slice of cake, I eat it knowing that I'll suffer the consequences. But know that it can cramp your lifestyle.... being close to a bathroom is a must!

On 11/4/2021 at 4:09 AM, mae7365 said:

Really sweet foods like cake, brownies, Cookies as well as really greasy foods. I also don't tolerate most vegetables. And yes, dumping is a good reminder! But as far as discipline goes, it's more a matter of making choices. If I'm at a birthday party and I really want a slice of cake, I eat it knowing that I'll suffer the consequences. But know that it can cramp your lifestyle.... being close to a bathroom is a must!

Thank you! Looks like insurance isn't going to cover the RNY portion, but I think they'll cover the hernia surgery, so that will help. I want to get through the holidays and schedule surgery for the second week in January. I'll have my deductible met and will be nice so early in the year. Thank you for responding! I'm surprised about veggies. What about butter, do you put a little on veggies or is real butter a risky thing to do? :)

On 11/11/2021 at 9:22 PM, StratusPhr said:

Thank you! Looks like insurance isn't going to cover the RNY portion, but I think they'll cover the hernia surgery, so that will help. I want to get through the holidays and schedule surgery for the second week in January. I'll have my deductible met and will be nice so early in the year. Thank you for responding! I'm surprised about veggies. What about butter, do you put a little on veggies or is real butter a risky thing to do? :)

I talked to the dietician last week and high Fiber vegetables and gassy foods like broccoli can trigger bloating and dumping. Butter and oil don't seem to be problematic but I don't eat a lot of either, so it's hard to say.

Good luck on your surgery.

On 8/1/2021 at 5:22 AM, mae7365 said:

Like you, I suffered from the same issues. I have Barretts Esophagus, GERD, and a Hernia. I have lab band in 2012, was sleeved in 2017, and will be converted to RNY next month. Even though medically necessary, insurance is denied due to being complications from bariatric surgery, which is absurd; they will complete a peer-to-peer next week. If not approved, I will have to self-pay.