Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death!

I had vsg on 7.20.2021. It's gone absolutely fine, I'm getting plenty of Water and plenty of Protein but I feel like I'm starving. I had my follow up apt today she they approved me to soft food. I've had cravings terribly and I thought that would be better since they take out the part of the stomach where the grehlin (?) is located. It's not! So, I totally bit the dust and ate taco hamburger and refried Beans with some cheese. Probably 4 bites of each. what the heck is happening?!? Any advice???

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh no! What are you feeling? Did you throw it up? I asked a friend who went through the surgery years ago, why I’m hungry and craving so much all the time!! He told me it was miserable and it was the worst part at the beginning but that it does go away and that I would be happy. He said he used to torture himself and watch food network and he’d be so miserable. He said it didn’t last too long, but that it is normal at the beginning

It can definitely be frustrating feeling that way when you’re not expecting it! I found it difficult at the start to work out what I was feeling and I never felt ‘full’ for a while. Try to stick to your goals and drink more Protein fluids - definitely don’t push it this early with foods and stick only to your allowed list :)

Did you ask for a PPI, sometimes it's acid reflux, and medication can help?

And sometimes it's hunger, prior to this episode were you getting in all your Protein goals, and liquid goals? Your body is in a deficit compared to your prior caloric intake

We need more info in order to help.

But what you did was a binge. Your head was in charge.

Were you preparing food for your family, what set your mind in motion to eat this food? If you planned this meal for your family - next time eat YOUR food prior to fixing their food, or ask someone else to fix their food. This food was planned, you don't suddenly have all that appear out of thin air. The Beans and cheese are okay as soft food, the meat might be a little harsh, you are not completely healed yet. The beans and cheese would smoosh down pretty good, and the 4 bites of taco meat maybe did not put you over your limit?

I am sorry you had this slip, I am surprised you didn't get sick, or 'slime'. Count your blessings, and take heed, you might not be as lucky next time.

I was incredibly hungry during all of weight loss phase.

It was too early for what you ate, and that's concerning....because endangering yourself this early on is bad news for being able to make health protecting choices in the future.

While probably not world ending (honestly cheese and refried Beans were on my soft foods list)....it makes me think you need more support than you're getting.

I know some people experience a tremendous decrease of appetite. I was not one of them. I was every bit as hungry as I'd ever been and more so.....so I totally feel your pain.

Please be concious that you need to follow your instructions carefully so you don't injure yourself. Causing a leak in your stomach suture line will result in a hell of a long hospitalization, and VERY serious potential problems. You don't want to go there. You don't want to risk the smallest chance of it. It's that bad.

I wouldn't be me...without plugging the bariatric therapist...so I'm gonna say you should see if your clinic will give you a referal. Lots of folks are resistant to this, but it's just not a bad idea. What could it hurt to give it a try?

I've been lurking but wanted to post on this. I had my VGS on 6/21. The first couple of weeks I was having hunger pains too (literally). Everything sounded good, even stuff I don't normally eat. I also had that period of "panic" that maybe I would be miserably hungry for the rest of my life but it got much better. I get the hungry stomach feeling sometimes but not intense - will usually pass if its not time to eat.

35 minutes ago, ShannonLea101 said:

I've been lurking but wanted to post on this. I had my VGS on 6/21. The first couple of weeks I was having hunger pains too (literally). Everything sounded good, even stuff I don't normally eat. I also had that period of "panic" that maybe I would be miserably hungry for the rest of my life but it got much better. I get the hungry stomach feeling sometimes but not intense - will usually pass if its not time to eat.

That is so good to hear! I had mine 7/22 and it’s not as bad as the day after, but it’s still pretty bad. I keep obsessing over my moms pea salad. And it’s not even my favorite food! I just keep obsessing over it lol. Thank you for the reassurance

Edited by SarahMae

On 7/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, AmyG2021 said:

I had vsg on 7.20.2021. It's gone absolutely fine, I'm getting plenty of Water and plenty of Protein but I feel like I'm starving. I had my follow up apt today she they approved me to soft food. I've had cravings terribly and I thought that would be better since they take out the part of the stomach where the grehlin (?) is located. It's not! So, I totally bit the dust and ate taco hamburger and refried Beans with some cheese. Probably 4 bites of each. what the heck is happening?!? Any advice???

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I was allowed to have refried Beans and cheese from Day 3 on, and I never had any problems with them.

Like ShannonLea101 I have also been lurking. This is one of my biggest fears with getting the sleeve.

I currently have a lap band, and over time I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with it. I want to make the transition to the sleeve. The surgery center called my insurance, and my previous employer had elected not to cover any bariatric procedures. My new job starts on the first and I'm very hopeful. There should be a law that companies have to disclose anything that they have chosen to exempt before someone takes the job.

I do have some concerns about the sleeve. The appeal to the band was that it was reversible. I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable, or that I will miss eating. Frequently with the band, I will have to stop eating due to restriction, but I'm still hungry. Not head hunger, but real hunger. Or, I won't be able to eat much and an hour later my stomach starts growling. Am I going to be hungry? Am I still going to want to eat before I go to bed? If I know in advance, I can mentally prepare. I had such high hopes for the band.

There is physical hunger, and there is mind hunger - food fantasies. Because most of us got to WLS as a result of our mental relationships with food, the mind hunger is usually much more of an issue that genuinely being hungry. A huge part of this journey for me, and likely most people having surgery, is being able to distinguish between the two. I experience emptiness ("I'm hungry!"), then have to ask myself how long it's been since I ate or drank anything. This is when it is crucial to have high Protein foods that fit into my diet on hand. Because I have been a compulsive eater, a food addict most of my life, I'm trying to approach this whole thing almost as a science.

Someone also mentioned reflux and i agree, it can also mimic hunger pangs. Drink something, Water or some of a Protein Shake. It helps coat and fill your pouch so you feel physically fuller. It also buys your mind some time to separate real hunger from food fantasies.

Learn from the experience, be grateful if you didn't hurt yourself and move on. You just had surgery. I was an emotional roller coaster after mine. Get support from professionals if you're struggling with food addiction. Addictions don't go away just because you've had surgery. Take care of your body, and your mind. You're not alone.

I get “hungry” …if I haven’t ate for more than 2 hours. But I don’t get cravings. That’s the big difference for me from before Surgery. I live with 2 other people, so there is food in the house that would normally be a craving for me pre-surgery, and I don’t even think about it and haven’t touched it.

My plan has refried Beans and ground meat in the soft food stage. I also don't think eight bites total adds up to be a large amount (unless you're somehow managing to eat large bites currently). I guess I'm wondering why this is freaking you out? To me that is a good mix of Fiber and Protein.

31 minutes ago, MistySkye said:

I get “hungry” …if I haven’t ate for more than 2 hours. But I don’t get cravings. That’s the big difference for me from before Surgery. I live with 2 other people, so there is food in the house that would normally be a craving for me pre-surgery, and I don’t even think about it and haven’t touched it.

Thank you so much. That helps give me some perspective. I think with the modifications to my cravings/hunger, I will be successful at changing negative eating behaviors.

6 hours ago, Gerhowzel said:

Like ShannonLea101 I have also been lurking. This is one of my biggest fears with getting the sleeve.

I currently have a lap band, and over time I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with it. I want to make the transition to the sleeve. The surgery center called my insurance, and my previous employer had elected not to cover any bariatric procedures. My new job starts on the first and I'm very hopeful. There should be a law that companies have to disclose anything that they have chosen to exempt before someone takes the job.

I do have some concerns about the sleeve. The appeal to the band was that it was reversible. I'm afraid I'm going to be miserable, or that I will miss eating. Frequently with the band, I will have to stop eating due to restriction, but I'm still hungry. Not head hunger, but real hunger. Or, I won't be able to eat much and an hour later my stomach starts growling. Am I going to be hungry? Am I still going to want to eat before I go to bed? If I know in advance, I can mentally prepare. I had such high hopes for the band.

I have the sleeve. My number one biggest issue was constant, aggressive hunger at bed time. I could ignore it any other time (mostly) but sometimes I literally could not sleep unless I binged. First full day home (day three) I cried all day. I wanted to eat, I was craving so bad and even though I was not hungry I wanted to eat. And the pain, I was crying so much and said it was the biggest mistake of my life and couldn’t believe I did it. This was everything I was afraid of. Now… I know I’m only on week 2 but man it really only lasted that one day! I do get a little sad especially because of all the summer parties even in just two weeks I’m missing, and can’t eat and can’t swim (for now). But, wow, watching these pounds fall WHILE not being hungry, AND finally not even wanting to eat anything at night has been the most calming thing in my life. Every single day the cravings get less. I have always been a huge huge craver and night eater. And the day I woke up from surgery it was cravings every 5 min and now I can go half a day without a craving. I think by next week it will be very sporadic.

from one night time eater and constant craver and constantly hungry person, to another. Do it. You’ll have a day or two you Regret it because it Doesn’t instantly fix it. But man if by two weeks you feel like I am now compared by how I felt then??? That’s almost instantly haha

5 hours ago, Maribelle76 said:

My plan has refried Beans and ground meat in the soft food stage. I also don't think eight bites total adds up to be a large amount (unless you're somehow managing to eat large bites currently). I guess I'm wondering why this is freaking you out? To me that is a good mix of Fiber and Protein.

I think the original poster, AmyG2021 was concerned because they were only 7 days out from surgery.