Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating But Not Satisfied

Hi All,

It’s been 7 years since my gastric sleeve surgery and I am currently at 194 Lbs (topped the scale at 268). My current issue is, when I eat meals the hungry does not subside, my stomach fills up quickly, where I cannot finish my portion, yet, I am not satisfied and eating more doesn’t end the hunger, just makes me uncomfortable. Do others suffer from this, any suggestions?

Sounds like you have head hunger. Try doing something active to distract yourself after your meal.

I agree. Sounds like head hunger. Try brushing your teeth or going for a walk. Or, work with a therapist to see if there are other issues that need to be resolved. But make sure it's a bariatric trained therapist, or they won't have a clue how to help you.

Good luck!

47 minutes ago, Sapot said:

Hi All,

It’s been 7 years since my gastric sleeve surgery and I am currently at 194 Lbs (topped the scale at 268). My current issue is, when I eat meals the hungry does not subside, my stomach fills up quickly, where I cannot finish my portion, yet, I am not satisfied and eating more doesn’t end the hunger, just makes me uncomfortable. Do others suffer from this, any suggestions?

If you fill up quickly, cannot finish your portion and eating more causes discomfort, you are not hungry. You want more. Those are 2 different things.

I only serve myself my portion. It takes self-talk when I want more to remind myself that I don't actually need it.

I am four and a half months out and have this already. I know that it has to be head hunger because there is no way the hunger hormones has come back already. I am scheduled to see a therapist that specializes in disordered eating soon. Perhaps something to consider.

Thanks, it’s not “ head-hunger” it’s the sensation of not abating the hunger, I eat slowly and small portions, but always fill up, before my stomach or really my brain has been satisfied. Not sure if I’m describing this sensation as well as I could…..Si

4 minutes ago, Sapot said:

Thanks, it’s not “ head-hunger” it’s the sensation of not abating the hunger, I eat slowly and small portions, but always fill up, before my stomach or really my brain has been satisfied. Not sure if I’m describing this sensation as well as I could…..Si

If your hunger is gone, you have eaten enough. Our brains want more because we are used to over-eating. Our brains are not going to be satisfied with "just enough". That's pretty much the definition of head hunger. That takes therapy.

Ok, got it, I’ve in Boynton Beach, Florida, any known / recommended therapist for eating disorders?

37 minutes ago, Sapot said:

Ok, got it, I’ve in Boynton Beach, Florida, any known / recommended therapist for eating disorders?

I don’t know anyone in Boynton but I also live in south florida and have an appt with someone who is in Port St. Lucie on Monday. I am a little ways from Port St. Lucie so it’s a telehealth appt. All I know is it was really hard to find someone who even claims to work with disordered eating near me but she does. Her name is Gina Eaton. I can’t seem to find her number right now but will save it when she calls me Monday.I scheduled my appt a few months ago so I would call ASAP as she has a long waiting list. 772-800-3037, she just called to confirm my appointment.

Edited by ShoppGirl

Thank you very much, I appreciate the information, I will definitely pursue with a therapist….Si

9 hours ago, Sapot said:

Hi All,

Would it help to eat before you feel desperately hungry? I find it hard when I wait too long to eat. I have not had surgery yet, but if I wait too long, it seems like it reduces my sensation of feeling satisfied. Hope that helps. Sounds difficult.

Thanks, have to keep open minded and try to change my habits, I posted to see if there were similar issues and recommendations. Will try to work with a therapist….thanks for your feedback…..Si

32 minutes ago, Sapot said:

Thanks, have to keep open minded and try to change my habits, I posted to see if there were similar issues and recommendations. Will try to work with a therapist….thanks for your feedback…..Si

There are a lot of reasons why we eat, and satisfying physical hunger is only one of them. When you still feel the urge to eat after you are no longer hungry, ask yourself why? Your stomach can't hold anymore, so what is it you are looking for in more food? What's going on in your life? Are you looking for emotional comfort? Your tummy is full, so what part of you is it that wants more food?

I posted this a while back, when I was dealing with a craving. As others have said, therapy can help you dig into those questions. But until then, you can start by asking your "Why do I want more food? What is it going to do for me?" Sometimes you can identify the cause, as I did in the story below.

Not long ago, I really wanted a cookie and when I stopped to ask myself why, I realized that I had just come out of a meeting that did not go as well as I had hoped. I felt disappointed, embarrassed, upset. And I wanted a cookie. Once I realized what was at the root of my craving, I was able to redirect those feelings. I got a cup of coffee instead. It was warm and sweet and about 200 fewer calories than the cookie. And I took it and went and sat around the backside of the building where it was quiet and peaceful (being an introvert, that was comforting to me). I thought through what had happened and what to do next as I drank my coffee. And 30 minutes later I was good to go. Every situation is different, but I'm getting better at asking myself "What's going on? Why do you want that?"

7 hours ago, Sapot said:

You said it yourself: always fill up before my stomach or really my brain has been satisfied. If your brain is wanting more that’s head hunger. If your tummy is full you’ve had enough. There’s a big difference between needing to eat & wanting to eat and also between eating enough & eating until you are full. After my surgery, I started asking myself if I needed that next bite or did I just want it. If I wanted it I put the cutlery down.I still do this.

Therapy should help you recognise your cravings & desire to eat (habit, emotions, etc.) & then develop strategies to manage that desire & reduce some of their power. I hope you can find a therapist who is supportive & you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

Thank you ladies for all your excellent insight. I'm sure OP isn't the only one battling the head hunger issue. It's one of the main things I'm trying to tackle now before my procedure in Oct.

Good luck, OP.