Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m 5 month post op gastric sleeve surgery 4 month gallbladder removal surgery I’m still getting pains in my stomach can I take ibuprofen

my doctor says no to ibuprofen. But you should reach out to your team for direction..... Good luck...feel better...you will!

In a perfect world your Doc will evaluate your situation and arrive at a medical intervention plan specific to your situation. They may start with generic guidelines but if that's where they stop it's my cue to look for a new Doc.

Every medication comes with benefits and problems, its the nature of the beast. It is our Doctor's job to look at our needs and which medications will best serve us. Then we monitor for the benefits the medications provide while monitoring for the negative side effects that come with them.

In evaluating my situation my medical team decided that NSAIDs were appropriate interventions for specific situations, knowing that I had to carefully monitor side effects. Acetaminophen (Tylenol), on the other hand, I was to avoid completely because of specific liver issues I enjoyed. And so it goes for every medical issue that is part of the joy of being me. I don't get my advice from strangers on the internet other than "don't listen to strangers on the internet."

I will tell you this: If I was still in significant pain 4 months post-op I would already have been in constant communications with my medical team; I would not be asking the internet what to do; I would be raising a big, ugly, stink.

Good luck.

Tek

9 hours ago, mischa23 said:

I’m 5 month post op gastric sleeve surgery 4 month gallbladder removal surgery I’m still getting pains in my stomach can I take ibuprofen

I've tried NSAIDS 3 times since my surgery. Ibuprofen sent me to the ER with chest pains, I used a topical NSAID for my arthritis (my knees) and ended up having an allergic reaction that caused hives and welts all up my neck, and the third time was when my doctor prescribed me Meloxicam for my arthritis because she said as far as NSAIDs go it's pretty mild and she takes it for her own arthritis and she had gastric sleeve several years ago and is fine with it... I've only taken it once because I got really bad chest pains when I took it so I had to take a valium with it and that makes me tired so I'm iffy on taking it now and so instead of taking Meloxicam I just take Tumeric or Ginger Root pills which I buy from my local Walmart. I also have Green Tea pill which are also a natural anti-inflammatory, but I haven't tried it yet. I mean, the Meloxicam worked, it just wasn't worth the extra effort to get rid of the chest pain. It also makes me paranoid that I developed an outright allergy to NSAIDs after my surgery so I'm iffy on trying it again in case I end up getting an angioedema reaction (I've had an angioedema reaction to ACE inhibitors... and it was terrifying, especially since they told me that if I hadn't come in I would have suffocated to death) and when the chest pain happened I took two benadryl before taking the valium for the chest pain. Also, allergies can change after WLS. I developed a wheat allergy after WLS that I didn't have before. I found out after the fact that there is something like a 3% chance of developing either a wheat allergy or Celiac Disease that they never bothered to mention that fact to me, so it wouldn't surprise me to develop a medication allergy on top of that.

Since ibuprofen and other NSAIDS are gastric irritants, I would avoid them as they could make the stomach pain worse. I would reach out to your surgery center. You could have an ulcer or gastritis, or so many other issues. If they are not responsive, keep trying, or talk to your PCP/GP or a gastroenterologist. Keep pestering people till you have an answer!

5 hours ago, lizonaplane said:

Keep pestering people till you have an answer!

This!