Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories per day?

Hey just wondered if anyone could help I'm at a puree stage and I'm petrified I'm over doing it don't really get a full feeling but trying to keep minimal as possible.. inunderstand obviously things are still healing

Sent from my SM-G998B using BariatricPal mobile app

Definitely a question for your surgeon or nutritionist. There are so many things that can factor into the “right” calorie goals—age, weight, activity level, history, etc. none of us could possibly give you a good answer for this question for you. We can probably all answer it for ourselves, but what works for us is not likely to work fine you.

My surgeon's group wanted us to reach 1200 calories a day as soon as we could. I did this at around 3-4 weeks out...eating 6 little 200 calorie "meals" a day. We were told to stay at 1200 during all of loss phase.

I know this is VERY different advice than what many clinics give their clients. Some want people to stay below 1000 calories for a very long time to "take advantage of the window of loss". My doctors are part of a study addressing how extended periods of very low calorie diets may be corelated with rebound weight gain due to negative metabolic shift. They believe that for the best LONG TERM outcomes....eating calories closer to maintenance for healthy weight sooner...is better.

I eat 1600 calories a day now, and have maintained the last two years with no weight gain.

There will always be individual experiences and exceptions to every rule.

That is a different answer for everyone. I was told my the nutritionist provided through my insurance (Cigna) to just worry about Protein for the 1st 7-8 months. Try to get 80-90 mg a day. I needed to eat high protein things like eggs, meat, cheese & to make sure I wasn’t eating high calorie things like candy bars & Cookies. I had at least 1 Protein Shake a day.

Definitely speak with your team about a caloric range especially if it will make you feel more secure with what you’re doing. The whole process can be pretty stressful as it is. I was only given portion size, number of meals per day (1/4 cup three times a day to begin from the purée stage) & of course Protein & fluid goals.

Once you begin eating more solid foods & heal that little more your feel full sense will kick in as will your restriction if you eat too much.

Plans are different as @Creekimp13 said and yours may have to be modified to suit your needs as you progress. I wouldn’t have succeeded on @Creekimp13’s plan - lol. I was eating less than 300 calories to begin & increased to about 700 for most of the weight loss period. I only eat about 1200 calories a day now in maintenance but I’m short & not out there running marathons or lifting weights at a gym 😁.

Good luck & congrats on your surgery.

Im trying to find an a typical daily calorie limit for a Woman, 4 years out Gastric Bypass. Lost 150 lbs, maintained, then covid and gained 30lbs back.

Now I need advice on how many calories I should eat to return to weightloss, and then for long term maintenance, being im so far out and was eating anything, and too much, and not having a problem till recent.

Start: 276Lbs., Lowest: 117, maintained 125lbs, Currently 140 lbs. Goal back between 117-125 Lbs.

Im also trying Keto, any advice for me is appreciated, Thanks!!!

35 minutes ago, alysia.rush said:

Im trying to find an a typical daily calorie limit for a Woman, 4 years out Gastric Bypass. Lost 150 lbs, maintained, then covid and gained 30lbs back.

Now I need advice on how many calories I should eat to return to weightloss, and then for long term maintenance, being im so far out and was eating anything, and too much, and not having a problem till recent.

Start: 276Lbs., Lowest: 117, maintained 125lbs, Currently 140 lbs. Goal back between 117-125 Lbs.

Im also trying Keto, any advice for me is appreciated, Thanks!!!

Keto is ok to give you a kickstart but there’s information coming out that it’s not a long term option. Go back to what you were eating up to when you reached your goal. Or you can slowly reduce your portion size & therefore your caloric intake until you start losing again.

The caloric point at which you lose could be lower or higher than others depending upon your metabolic rate, activity level, height., age. As I said above I maintain on 1200 - I’m not tall like you, have a smallish frame, am in my mid 50s & not very active. If I eat as much as some others do in maintenance, I’d gain. I can lose if I drop to about 900 - 1000 calories. Did you have a good relationship with your nutritionalist/dietician? You could always go back to them for some guidance.

23 minutes ago, Arabesque said:

Thanks for responding, We are the same height, but I weigh 63 Kgs. and am 39, and not very active. I was down to and maintaining 54 Kgs. which was comfortable for me. I agree, Keto will be temporary to start induction of weight loss again. Right now Im doing 0.9 Kcal, I think thats the right connvertion. It's misarable, so I think I will adjust. I haven’t been in contact with my Nutritionist in 2 years now from Covid. I guess there is no set limit for everyone. Thank you!

Keto is ok to give you a kickstart but there’s information coming out that it’s not a long term option. Go back to what you were eating up to when you reached your goal. Or you can slowly reduce your portion size & therefore your caloric intake until you start losing again.

The caloric point at which you lose could be lower or higher than others depending upon your metabolic rate, activity level, height., age. As I said above I maintain on 1200 - I’m not tall like you, have a smallish frame, am in my mid 50s & not very active. If I eat as much as some others do in maintenance, I’d gain. I can lose if I drop to about 900 - 1000 calories. Did you have a good relationship with your nutritionalist/dietician? You could always go back to them for some guidance.