Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone have a post op restriction on coffee? My nutritionist advised 2 cups per day, but I usually do 3 or 4. It's how I get my Protein Shake in. It's too sweet otherwise. Is this just concern over dehydration or tummy stretch??

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using BariatricPal mobile app

The concern after surgery is dehydration, but that really only occurs when you have several cups a day. I would just make sure you’re getting enough fluids outside of coffee, so adding in a cup of Water throughout the day to offset the possible dehydration. I’m on week three post-op and I can say the caffeine hits me a little more strongly so you may not need your usual 3 to 4 cups.

My binder says...........

"Caffeinated drinks are gastric irritants and are dehydrating. Caffeine should not be consumed unless and until you are achieving your fluid goals. Limit postoperative caffeine intake to 8oz a day."

Oh thanks for that info. I will try to cut back!!

I was allowed one cup a day as long as I offset it with an extra cup of fluids.

We had unlimited...but they wanted it to be decaffienated the first year.

For every cup of coffee, I try to follow it up with 12 oz of Water.

We can have Decaf for the first month.

My surgeon banged on the teakettle about no coffee, but I started drinking it again about 6 weeks out. It's for everyone's safety... I prefer not to lead the 11:00 news...

On 6/10/2021 at 11:10 AM, Dame21 said:

Does anyone have a post op restriction on coffee? My nutritionist advised 2 cups per day, but I usually do 3 or 4. It's how I get my Protein Shake in. It's too sweet otherwise. Is this just concern over dehydration or tummy stretch??

Hahaha... My surgeon/clinic says none At all for 6 months! It's insane how different every office is. I would have such an improved quality of life with a cup or two of decaf... I am 10 days post op maybe I will try it next week.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:41 PM, SummerTimeGirl said:

"Caffeinated drinks are gastric irritants and are dehydrating

It's crazy they still treat this debunked old wives's tale as fact. Obviously, if coffee annoys your stomach, don't drink it.

But the dehydration myth gets thrown around a lot for no good reason.

It's plenty hard for bariatric patients to keep up with their plans and exercise and whatnot; it annoys me to no end that these teams don't see it's crucial to keep the "can'ts" of our programs to the necessary requirements, not "oh just in case, don't have x y z lol".

Actual science:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965

https://time.com/5192272/coffee-tea-dehydrating/

“When you drink a cup of coffee or you drink a glass of iced tea, you are necessarily taking in a volume of Fluid along with that dose of [caffeine],” Vigil says. Even though caffeine is a mild diuretic, Vigil says, you won’t lose more fluid through urine than you take in by drinking a caffeinated beverage. Your body is able to absorb as much fluid as it needs and expel the rest, he says.

For that reason, your morning pick-me-up actually helps hydrate you, not the opposite.

2 hours ago, TheRealPennyD said:

Hahaha... My surgeon/clinic says none At all for 6 months! It's insane how different every office is. I would have such an improved quality of life with a cup or two of decaf... I am 10 days post op maybe I will try it next week.

I had surgery 2.30pm Thursday, got home 8.30am Friday, had a tiny sip of coffee Saturday morning. I'm fine, but YMMV :)