Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Severe Gerd and ulcers after gastric bypass

So I know people can have reflux problems after a sleeve, but I apparently am one of the rare cases of having severe issues after bypass. I currently have 2 large ulcers. They are talking revision surgery. Has anyone had this issue? I am only 5.5 months post bypass.

Oh I am so sorry you are dealing with that now! I am pre-surgery and have problems with GERD and ulcers, so my hope is the bypass. The liquid meds that coat your esophagus helped me, and the Prilosec. I easily gave up tomatoes, citrus, and severely cut down coffee. I’m already lactose intolerant so avoid milk and hidden milk like the plague. That can make you vomit/GERD too. I wish you the best.

Yeah I actually had a successful fundoplication 21 years ago and as bad as my reflux was then I never had ulcers. The bypass is usually the next step after a fundoplication if it’s just for GERD so I shouldn’t be having issues. I guess it’s really rare. I am on a PPI and also carafate which we just switched to the liquid today because I’m getting worse and not better. If this doesn’t work I’m not sure what they will do as far as the actual ulcers go.

yea - that would be pretty rare - bypass usually improves if not cures GERD. Sorry you're dealing with this...that is awful!

Do I understand this correctly? So this would be your second revision?

I’m 3 weeks out from revision bypass surgery 4/18/21 so far so good so much easier then sleeve

At exactly 3 mos after RNY surgery, I could not eat and had severe chest and abdominal pain. I am also a rare case that Gerd got worse also due to an ulcer that developed at the staple site. I was barely eating as it was and then this put me back on liquid diet, it was like starting all over again. So frustrating!! I was put on meds 4x a day for the ulcers and was told it would take about 3 mos to heal but I am slowly able to eat small amounts of solid food again.

Edited by alb13

Yeah they told me I will probably need a revision.

At exactly 3 mos after RNY surgery, I could not eat and had severe chest and abdominal pain. I am also a rare case that Gerd got worse also due to an ulcer that developed at the staple site. I was barely eating as it was and then this put me back on liquid diet, it was like starting all over again. So frustrating!! I was put on meds 4x a day for the ulcers and was told it would take about 3 mos to heal but I am slowly able to eat small amounts of solid food again.
Omg someone else like me! I was only 2wk post RNY (revision from Sleeve due to gerd even though I had a Fundoplication 10yrs before my sleeve) when I stopped eating or drinking anything & vomitted nonstop. After 3wks of that I finally went to the GI who did an EGD and found an ulcer at the staple site the biggest he'd ever seen. I was literally on deaths door due to loss of magnesium, nutrition, dehydration, potassium, etc & was admitted to the hospital straight from the EGD and put on a feeding tube for 2 weeks. I'm now 2 weeks off the tube and nothing I eat works. It seems the ulcer friendly foods and the bypass friendly foods are not compatible.
Please tell me when things got better for you & what you ate? I hate eggs & yogurt & love cheese and Protein Shakes even make me sick now. [emoji31]

Sent from my SM-G986U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hi, It took 3 months for my ulcer to heal and I drank a lot of Protein Shakes and then started adding 1 semi sold meal per day and ramped up form there depending on how I tolerated. I switched to fair life milk and that met much of my Protein needs 1/2 c skim and 1/2c chocolate made me feel like I wasn't being deprived. I also found isolate splash which has 24g of protein per scoop and is basically protein Water and it save me from dehydration, website is revolution nutrition. They flavors are quite sweet so I water down a bit but it's all about your taste. I also ate protein pudding and lots of yogurt which won't be good for you but try the pudding. Also laughing cow cheese is soft and easy to digest. Hope this helps a bit, hang in there it will get better(:

How is everything going now? I am 3 1/2 months out from my sleeve and for the first time in my life, I started having HORRIBLE gerd symptoms 2 days ago. I'm uncomfortable during the day, but at night is when I'm in agony. I'm on 40mg of Omeprazole for 6 months because of the surgery, so I'm shocked this is happening. I made a post titled "Is this GERD?" because I literally have never felt anything like this before and it's freaking me out. I'm scared that if GERD is starting 3 1/2 months out from surgery, I'm going to have to be miserable for years before I can be approved for a revision. And I thought bypass was kind of the gold standard for eliminating GERD, and now I'm nervous having read a few threads on here about people getting the bypass and developing GERD after, or getting it because of GERD and it not going away.

So I just wanted to point something out here. GERD and an ulcer are not the same thing. Having experienced both, I can say neither is fun. Certainly someone could have both conditions, but most likely, what you are experiencing is one or the other.

Ulcers are basically a place where the lining has been damaged. These are most common in the stomach, but can occur in the esophagus or small intestine as well. ALL bariatric surgery patients are at some increased risk of these occurring, but they can happen to anyone, including non gastric surgery patients.

GERD is a chronic condition due to recurring episodes where excess acid enters the esophagus from the stomach. Almost everyone has occasional acid reflux, but GERD is when this happens repeatedly. In most cases of GERD, the valve at the bottom of the esophagus is damaged or not working correctly for some reason. (Note that long term exposure of the esophagus to excess acid from GERD can cause an ulcer in the esophagus, but I digress.)

Bypass patients almost never have problems with GERD, because the small pouch has very few acid producing cells. Sleeve patients on the other hand are more likely to experience GERD than the general population. This is thought to be due to the sleeve putting extra pressure on the esophageal valve.

Both groups (sleeve and bypass), are subject to ulcers and are at more risk of them than the rest of the population.

How to know the difference? WHERE it hurts is the biggest tell. if you are having a burning sensation in your chest or throat, that's likely GERD. Ulcers typically hurt in your belly.

If you are having this issue, talk to your healthcare provider ASAP. Both conditions can have serious complications and you should not tough it out or hope it will go away.

18 hours ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I have severe gerd and had RNY 3/15/2017 and gained weight

Sent from my octopus using BariatricPal mobile app

Did you speak to your surgeon? That is out of the ordinary for RNY. Maybe they need to lengthen your roux limb or you may have a hiatal hernia.

Edited by Tomo

1 minute ago, Lisa LoVuolo said:

I talked to my surgeon & going for upper GI September 16, 2022 and then follow up with my dr on 9/28/2022

Sent from my octopus using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank goodness! I really hope you get it resolved. Of all the pains and illnesses in my lifetime, severe Gerd is one of the worst things to live with day in and day out. Keep us posted.