Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was Your Doc More In Favor Of Gastric Bypass?

My doc was all for it, although she did try to convince me to lose the weight on my own. That was 18 months ago...now that she has seen me doing not so well, she is as anxious as me!

Brandy

My Doctor also thought bypass was a better option for me given my BMI, and being 120lbs overweight. He did not try to push me towards bypass but he did make me feel a little stupid for selecting it.

My doctor doesn't really give me the warm and fuzzies anyway, but a lot of his patients really seem to love him...

My docs are only confusing me more! My OBGYN nearly cried at the thought of a bypass and loved the idea of the Band, while another doctor thought the band was a waste of time since they don't last forever and most people who have them removed convert to a permanent surgery anyway. Then there's another doc who hates any WLS making it really hard to decide!

My doc is pro sleeve. With time I am finally understanding why.

What are you understanding - are you going for the sleeve if you have your band removed??? I have only read a little on the sleeve in real simple terms I think i read it's like a permanet lapband???

What are you understanding - are you going for the sleeve if you have your band removed??? I have only read a little on the sleeve in real simple terms I think i read it's like a permanet lapband???

Yes, I'm thinking about doing it now.

If I knew for SURE, without a doubt, that I couldn't eat bread with a sleeve I'd do it today. That is the only thing holding me back. Just like a band some can eat bread and some can't. Bread is what got me fat. Bread, burgers, etc. I might be able to eat those with a sleeve. Just like banding we don't know until we try since everyone is different.

I'm really tired of it taking over an hour to eat 6oz of tuna. I'm tired of going to restaurants, doing ALL the right things, and getting stuck in front of people anyway.

I am tired of eating salad one piece of lettuce at a time with my fingers so I can get just exactly the right pieces and the right amount of dressing so it will go down.

I am tired of extreme food limitations (my case, not necessarily typical).

I'm sick to death of barfing, sliming, and foaming.

I think after a TT my port is going to poke out like a tumor.

With a sleeve, you are right. It's like a forever pouch without the severe restriction of a stoma. If I had it all to do over again I'd certainly do a sleeve. I was so dead set on NOT having WLS permanent. I wanted something I could reverse if need be. Why in the heck would I ever want to be fat again? Now that I am banded, I DO want permanent.

My doc really didn't have anything to do with my change of heart. A person I met was looking at a sleeve and I was trying to help with research and I am really impressed with what I have read. I haven't even talked to my doc about revision but I've talked to one of his staff. It's something I'm considering but again, the only reason I'm not jumping into it is because I *might* be able to eat bread and burgers again. That would be very bad in my case.

It was suggested to me to have GB due to the large amount of weight I had to lose and the number of years I'd been MO. When talking about past weight loss, I told him I'd been able to lose 50+ lbs with Atkins and he said that I'd do fine with the band- I think he was worried that if you didn't have some discipline that the band wouldn't work- and that's true; with the GB you have some time to get mentally adjusted while losing weight until you begin to reabsorb those evil fat calories

Yes, I'm thinking about doing it now.

If I knew for SURE, without a doubt, that I couldn't eat bread with a sleeve I'd do it today. That is the only thing holding me back. Just like a band some can eat bread and some can't. Bread is what got me fat. Bread, burgers, etc. I might be able to eat those with a sleeve. Just like banding we don't know until we try since everyone is different.

I'm really tired of it taking over an hour to eat 6oz of tuna. I'm tired of going to restaurants, doing ALL the right things, and getting stuck in front of people anyway.

I am tired of eating salad one piece of lettuce at a time with my fingers so I can get just exactly the right pieces and the right amount of dressing so it will go down.

I am tired of extreme food limitations (my case, not necessarily typical).

I'm sick to death of barfing, sliming, and foaming.

I think after a TT my port is going to poke out like a tumor.

With a sleeve, you are right. It's like a forever pouch without the severe restriction of a stoma. If I had it all to do over again I'd certainly do a sleeve. I was so dead set on NOT having WLS permanent. I wanted something I could reverse if need be. Why in the heck would I ever want to be fat again? Now that I am banded, I DO want permanent.

My doc really didn't have anything to do with my change of heart. A person I met was looking at a sleeve and I was trying to help with research and I am really impressed with what I have read. I haven't even talked to my doc about revision but I've talked to one of his staff. It's something I'm considering but again, the only reason I'm not jumping into it is because I *might* be able to eat bread and burgers again. That would be very bad in my case.

Wasabb

One day - I found a site like this one and it was for the sleeve don't ask me how i found it - think I was on OH and someone had a link or maybe here. I was impressed and thought why didn't i know about this.. But of course just like most here LOVE the band vs bypass - they LOVE the sleeve over bypass or the band.

I didn't know that you had such a hard time eating... I guess I have never read about you pbing or sliming all the time. I just knew that you had some problems with your tummy & band that you have something that makes your tummy like cramp up...

I am sorry - that would be hard not to eat - I can eat almost everything even with good restriction - I really haven't tried a hamburger - but wasn't real big on them and I just try and avoid too many bread type carbs - I like bread too - sour dough with butter or cheese in the microwave - big bowls of mashed potatoes drowning in butter or Pasta (fedeo) (now thiese are band freindly so I stay away from them) -

But as long as i don't eat fast - I am ok - if i eat to fast i will pb on pudding..

Well, if I ever have any problems with my band - it would be something I would consider..

Again - I am really sorry that you can't eat - that would be so hard...:P

Actually, I probably would not want a sleeve if I was doing it a year ago. But today, the technique is different somehow. Not sure I understand the details just yet but a year ago they were saving a different part of the stomach and it would stretch like a bypass pouch and the patient was SOL. Today they save a more non-elastic portion of the stomach and it does not stretch out of place like it used to. However, not all surgeons use the newer technique.

I don't really mind the food limitations because I've learned to work with it. And it is better since I started taking Luvox. It's the embarrassment factor. Went out to dinner with some folks tonight (actually, it was my band surgeon. He did his first ever seminar and it was in AZ so many of us went for support purposes and many of us went to dinner afterwards) and I ordered chicken. Sure enough, I got stuck. Excused myself to go to the bathroom and just as I was leaning over the toilet to barf his nurse walked in the bathroom. It's embarrassing, I hate going out in public to restaurants. I hate going to friend's houses for dinner. I hate eating in public because I never know when it is going to happen.

If I never went out in public I'm not sure I'd care as much.

Honestly, I don't know how in the heck I have never slipped. In the beginning all I did was barf. I swear my surgeon must have used sutures, epoxy, Elmers Glue, staples, and paper clips to hold my band in place. :P I've learned to deal with it but I'm still sick of it. Of course, since I was embarrassed tonight at dinner I'm still copping an attitude about my band too. ;)

I saw my pcp in August and mentioned WLS and she gave me the name of a surgeon. At the time we didn't discuss what type would be best. A few weeks later I saw my OB/GYN, my weight had gone up again, and I asked his opinion on WLS. He was all for it but felt GB was the best way to go. After attending the seminar and following this website I decided to go for lap-band and had my surgery scheduled for Jan. 14. I saw my pcp doctor last week to review my meds and she truly believed gp was the best and explained why given my medical history. Needless to say, I've switched to gp with a Feb. 14 surgery date. After hearing her reasons why gp was better for me I wished I had talked with her in depth earlier. Now I'm trying to find a discussion forum like "lap-band talk" for gastric bypass patients. For those who ask how long it takes for insurance approval, I talked with my surgeon's office on a Monday and had approval for GB the next afternoon; my lap-band approval took four days.

My doctor prefers the band over gastric bypass. He basically said that it was our choice but if he had his choice he would never do a gastric bypass again.

I saw my pcp in August and mentioned WLS and she gave me the name of a surgeon. At the time we didn't discuss what type would be best. A few weeks later I saw my OB/GYN, my weight had gone up again, and I asked his opinion on WLS. He was all for it but felt GB was the best way to go. After attending the seminar and following this website I decided to go for lap-band and had my surgery scheduled for Jan. 14. I saw my pcp doctor last week to review my meds and she truly believed gp was the best and explained why given my medical history. Needless to say, I've switched to gp with a Feb. 14 surgery date. After hearing her reasons why gp was better for me I wished I had talked with her in depth earlier. Now I'm trying to find a discussion forum like "lap-band talk" for gastric bypass patients. For those who ask how long it takes for insurance approval, I talked with my surgeon's office on a Monday and had approval for GB the next afternoon; my lap-band approval took four days.

Obesityhelp has alot of bypasser Obesity Help - Weight Loss, Surgery, Support Groups, Forums, Surgical Procedures

I was on this site before coming here - and feel that this one was easier for banders as most people here were bypass people.

Good luck

same here. when i went for the consultation, he weighed my, etc. and although i knew that i wanted the lap band, he also thought it was best. he does do both surgeries though