Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Sleeve vs Bypass?

I also struggled with sleeve vs bypass. The best thing you can do for yourself is research the reasons you doctor discussed with you. Then research any other pros and cons from a strictly medical perspective.

I suggest you ignore opinions and preferences of other patients until after you've evaluated the objective medical facts. Patients may have strong feelings about certain procedures. I've seen "surgery wars" on many message boards.

The surgeon I selected because of his sleeve experience recommended I have a bypass be it roux-en-y or duodenal switch. Like you, I believed the sleeve would be less complicated over time. However, after research I could not deny the reasoning behind this recommendation was sound.

With my underlying medical conditions the sleeve would most likely have required a revision within ten years. I only wanted to do this once. Two days before surgery I agreed to a roux-en-y gastric bypass.

I should have agreed to the more drastic duodenal switch. Despite knowing the surgeon was on point, I could not bring myself to go there. NO Regrets! I'm glad I studied all angles even though I went middle of the road instead of with what MAY have been best. My decision suits my comfort level.

That was in 2009. Today I still struggle with ups and downs but overall I'm maintaining. Back then Gap & Old Navy had nothing for me. Now I float between the vanity sized 0/2/4 made for us amplely proprtioned American women ;-) . No revision needed but I will always struggle.

Best wishes for every you decide. [emoji106]

MSW

Reading this just 25 minutes after your update! I just submitted everything to my insurance today, and I’m going with bypass. This forum actually what was convinced me, last year, to do bypass.

1. too many stories of revision surgeries after sleeve since your body still absorbs the same amounts of food, unlike bypass. I know it’s not everyone, but I saw too many to make me feel confident in my ability to comply long term without a second layer of help (malabsorption.)

2. Diabetes runs rampant in my family. I’m not there yet but it’s an eventuality I wanted to do away with.

3. Someone above mentioned that bypass is so drastic... and sure, it is, but it doesn’t make sleeve less drastic in comparison. With sleeve, your stomach is essentially amputated, and with bypass your intestines are rearranged. They’re both hard, I just had to pick the “hard” I felt was worth all the trouble. Bypass was it for me.

I spoke with my nutritionist today about duodenal switch, and though you lose more weight, you have more Vitamin deficiencies and it’s harder to carry a pregnancy, which I eventually want to do. I’m glad you made the right choice for you!

Edited by LizzLosingIt