Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WLS Veteran is back and looking for support

Hi! 

It’s been YEARS since I was on this forum! I was very active from 2014-2016. Loved the support, hated the drama. 

I had VSG in 2014 and although I was a bit on the slower side losing because I was considered a “lightweight” (ha) at my surgery weight of 235, I was very successful. My low weight was 142 for about 15 minutes, but after a little bounce weight of 10-12 pounds or so, I maintained there for several years and was even running! Me—running at almost 50 years old! I was a WLS success! 

**Record screeching noise** not so fast.....

2018: On my Quest to stay active by finding new and fun activities, I decided to get on roller skates again at 51 years old. Let’s just say that didn’t turn out so well, and an almost debilitating neck injury happened. + 15 pounds. 

2019: Strange, I’ve got blood in my pee? Lab work shows no UTI. Bladder cancer?? WTF? That’s an old man’s disease! 
+ 10 pounds 

2020: Do I even have to say it?? Oh, but I *did* manage to break my ankle in October walking my dog and was in a boot for 2 months. Also, I got Covid in December. + 10 pounds 

I’m not using life happening as excuses at all. I was fully unprepared to deal with my weight maintenance *when* life happened. It just goes to show how woefully unprepared I was with my emotional eating when the chips (along with my poor broken body) were down. I can only hope my experience can be a lesson to all either thinking about WLS, or are happily in the honeymoon phase of WLS and maintenance. 

With a little pharmaceutical help from my Primary, I’m working on going back to basics and concentrate on healthier Protein and Fiber rich options to try to lose at least 25 pounds. It can be done. I’ve seen it. 

Wish me luck! ❤️

Sounds like you know what you need to do. Get back to basics. You CAN DO THIS!! Good luck to you! Keep us updated on your progress!

11 hours ago, Barb Being Barb said:

I was a bit on the slower side losing because I was considered a “lightweight” (ha) at my surgery weight of 235, I was very successful. My low weight was 142 for about 15 minutes, but after a little bounce weight of 10-12 pounds or so, I maintained there for several years

Your story is very similar to mine. I had "only" about 100 pounds to lose and initially exceeded that amount, getting down to 132--then bounced right back up to 142. That's where I've stayed through my two-year anniversary earlier this month. And frankly, it's a much better weight for me than a rather skeletal 132 (although I thought I looked pretty fabulous at the time, in spite of everyone telling me I was way too thin).

Strange, I’ve got blood in my pee? Lab work shows no UTI. Bladder cancer?? WTF? That’s an old man’s disease!

i also had bladder cancer back in 2017--but then again, I am an old man. I actually lost about 50 pounds after cancer surgery and treatment, and everyone told me how great I looked. I told them I wouldn't recommend the cancer weight loss program. Naturally, I gained it all back once I regained my health and strength.

I *did* manage to break my ankle in October walking my dog and was in a boot for 2 months.

While I haven't broken anything, I injured both my groin muscle and knee while lifting heavy boxes during a move last October and had to stop exercising completely. I'm still doing physiotherapy and was only recently cleared by my therapist to walk about 1/2 mile at a time. I made very sure to cut back my calorie intake to compensate for my lack of exercise, and I'm happy to say that I've managed to maintain my weight.

Thank you so much for sharing your struggles--especially with such good humor! It's important for all of us to hear that life does indeed happen and that we will continue to face challenges along this journey. And we can overcome them, as we have before!

It absolutely can be done!

Please consider adding visits with a bariatric therapist to your tool box.

For me, this was as important a tool...as the surgery itself. Maybe moreso. Self sabotaging behaviors always have a cause....and learning to see that cause and get ahead of it made all the difference in the world to my maintenance.

Everyone should read posts like yours to realize this is a lifelong battle. The surgery doesn't "cure" the condition.

i resemble your experiences, barb. i was sleeved dec 2011. lowest wt was 188. starting 425. kept wt around 190 til recently: fractured knees, ankle, severe arthritis, torn tendons, rotator cuffs shot, and now, heart disease. (huffpuff) wt is 209. in caridio rehab but very unstable moving actually afraid to move sometimes. am really isolated, lost most support people from 'natural causes' over the years...still trying to cling to Keto. never went back to simple carbs. wish u the best. oh, i was 67 when i had my surgery...that doesnt help.

i know we cant do it til we are ready...but waiting too long is a luxury we cant afford.