Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, how many of you post-op banders are having shoulder pain? I have to tell you, my left shoulder hurts more than any of my incisions on my stomach do! I've been walking around quite a bit and moving my arm around, but nothing seems to help. It's like a constant brain freeze, except in my shoulder. I can't wait for this to pass.

I had heard that passing gas might relieve the pain but trust me from experience, that's not working. :)

So, how many of you post-op banders are having shoulder pain? I have to tell you, my left shoulder hurts more than any of my incisions on my stomach do! I've been walking around quite a bit and moving my arm around, but nothing seems to help. It's like a constant brain freeze, except in my shoulder. I can't wait for this to pass.

I had heard that passing gas might relieve the pain but trust me from experience, that's not working. :)

Have you tried Peppermint tea - that helps the gas pain and might help with the shoulder pain which is caused by the gas.

Danna

Heavy - I have been having tremendous shoulder pain. My husband has been constantly rubbing it for me..It really does help because it breaks up the gas bubbles. I've also been taking Gas-x I think that's helping also. The shoulder pain gets worse at night for me. Right before going to bed it really flares up....Have your wife take the palm of her hand and basically punch your back where you feel the pain...it may help...

I just had surgery yesterday dec 4 and the shoulder pain is uncomfortal but not to bad, i havent even needed any pain med ya for me hope all is well for you:clap2:

I had mu surgery on Dec 3rd also but my stomach hurts the most... i been taking chewable gas-x.

So check out was late and I got no pain medicine on me.. should pick some up 2morrow. I dont feel tight with the lapband on. They told me I got no fill yet. gotta wait =(

I still have shoulder pain and it gets pretty bad sometimes. I have been told that is is caused by nerves that get damaged during the surgery. They are healing and it is painful. That makes sense to me , but i sure wish it would get better. It has been four and a half months now. Donna

so i had shoulder pain today and after 2 chewable tablets and couple hours... it was almost all gone.

Good Luck on your recovery

How has your weight lost been going Heavy?? not many male here.... Mine has been slow but im just trying to recover from surgery before I do anything serious.

I had surgery 12/3 and still my shoulder is unbearable...it is at its worst in the evening when I go to lay down and sleep..brings me to tears....

My shoulder hurt so bad last night that we ended up calling the doctor. His first question was "when was your last bowel movement?" I've only had one since the surgery on Monday, and that was Milk of Magnesia induced. I took some more MOM last night and after a few toilet trips, my shoulder is feeling better. I have been doing a lot of reading about this and I guess the nerves that go to the shoulder run near where the laproscopic surgery takes place. If gas gets in there, it can cause the shoulder pain we are all experiencing. Of course that is just one theory, this is the Internet after all and there are as many opinions as there are people out there, haha.

So far I have tried: Gas-X, Peppermint Tea, heating pad, shoulder rubs, Icy Hot, and pooping. If I had a chainsaw and thought I could get to the problem, I probably would have tried that last night as well.

How has your weight lost been going Heavy?? not many male here.... Mine has been slow but im just trying to recover from surgery before I do anything serious.

I know this will make some of the women mad but since my first weigh in (middle of October) I am down 30 pounds. None of that is exercise; it's just from switching to this diet we're all on.

I plan on starting walking again next week when I go back to work (we have a gym there).

My shoulder pain has been pretty up and down. I was baneded on Dec 4th and every now and then it comes and goes. I have made gas-x my best friend and that has gotten me through.

My pain in my shoulder has been pretty bad today. I started to think I had slept wrong on it or something because that was the kind of ache it was. Well, I layed down in my recliner this afternoon and layed back all the way where my head was a bit lower than my legs and after about an hour the pain was gone. I was so excited.....but (you knew it had to be coming didn't you?)

After about 30 mins of being upright again I'm in pain yet again. The pain meds don't seem to touch this pain so I don't know what I should do. I will be spending my night head lower than my feet and see if that helps. Maybe if I do that AND take more GAS-X the bubble will disappate. At least that's my hope.

I've tried showers, head packs, percussion, rubs, and just plain grumbling. Nothing having more success than the others.

Steph

FINALLY!!!!! My pain went away. Saturday 12/8 I woke up and felt so much better. I had surgery on the previous Monday, it took a full week to get rid of the gas....The new problem is my insides feel really sore today. I wonder if I did too much bending yesterday...I feel like I was punched really hard on my left side. It hurts when I take a big breath of air....hope this is not more gas forming....LOL

HEAVY - congrats to you on the 30 pounds...that's awesome!!! you should be proud of yourself.....

FINALLY!!!!! My pain went away. Saturday 12/8 I woke up and felt so much better. I had surgery on the previous Monday, it took a full week to get rid of the gas....The new problem is my insides feel really sore today. I wonder if I did too much bending yesterday...I feel like I was punched really hard on my left side. It hurts when I take a big breath of air....hope this is not more gas forming....LOL

HEAVY - congrats to you on the 30 pounds...that's awesome!!! you should be proud of yourself.....

Oh my ... that is awesome to read ... my shoulder started hurting me so bad yesterday, and today it is no better. I was driving to work this morning, and I was in tears!

So I called my doctor's office this morning from work, and the nurse PROMISED me it is gas pain, I almost argued back and told her there is no way this can be gas pain, but I just said okay ... and we scheduled my post-op for January 8th. I was banded on 12/7.

So, I went for a walk in the parking lot a couple times ... I looked like a goofball because I was swinging my arms all over the place, and it helped, it lessened the pain, but of course it would keep coming back. I am just ready for this pain to be over ... I have torn my achilles in my ankle (8 years ago), and this is rivaling that pain! :)