Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reactive Hypoglycemia

Hi all!

I am 18 months post gastric bypass. The experience has been great and I have not had any complications. My biggest issue is reactive hypoglycemia. When I eat too much sugar and/or carbs, my blood sugar tanks about an hour after. Does anyone else struggle with this? Any tips or tricks to better manage? I know it is completely diet related.

yes. I don't think it's all that uncommon with bypassers once we're a couple years out (not common - but not UNcommon, either). I have to eat every 3-4 hours and if I eat a carb, I have to eat a Protein with it. I rarely have problems with it since I started doing that. (well, and more importantly, I watch my sugar intake, too. I can eat some, but not a ton)

I'm actually on medication for mine as I cannot control it with diet. However, they have suggested to me a very low carb/low sugar diet. I have found that I cannot eat most fruit, but I have to eat 1/4 of a banana a couple of times a week for muscle cramps. I eat Protein first, (non-starchy) vegetables second, and if I'm still hungry eat the carb. Small meals 6 times a day and a bedtime snack. I also have a freestyle libre which helps identify my lows and trends. Being able to visualize on the meter has really impacted what I eat and has helped very much! I love that thing!