Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

What are your experiences with dumping syndrome?

I very foolishly ate a some marmite with a thin slice of Edam cheese in mini tortilla wrap tonight (I thought if I chewed it thoroughly I would be fine).

I have been up most of the night with excruciating cramps, gas and rumblings that I swear sound like they are coming up from the depths of hell

I didn't even eat that much. I am also careful to space out my eating and drinking.

I guess this teaches me a lesson to check the amount of carbs I eat at each meal.

I hope it does not last long

Eager to hear what your experience has been.

Sent using BariatricPal mobile app[/url]

I got DS when I tried Tomato and cucumber salad. And when I tried turkey pepperoni as a snack. With the tomato and cucumber salad I had bad cramps for a couple hours. With the turkey pepperoni, I had vomiting for about an hour; because it came up in small tiny amounts with phlegm. It wasn't too bad for me, and I'm new to this, just 54 days out, but for some it's worse and for some its not. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using BariatricPal mobile app

I eat food high in sugar...….I dump!

I'm almost 4 months post op RNY, can eat any food in small quantities, but if I eat high sugar foods, I get blotted, terrible gas and then diarrhea. It's like clockwork! My only advise is to carefully monitor what foods cause you to dump, then try (and I say try because it's not always easy) to avoid those foods.

I am close to 6 months out, and I dump all the time. I don't eat anything if the sugar is over 15g. I still dump. If I eat one bite too many, I dump. It seems like no matter what I do, I dump. It is ridiculous at this point, and very frustrating. I see my doctor on Tuesday for the 6 month follow up. I have so many ?'s

I've never had it. Supposedly about 30% of gastric bypass patients dump (some sleeve patients do, too, but the percentage is lower). It's usually caused by eating too much sugar, and for some people, too much fat. Unfortunately, I can eat either with no consequences (I saw "unfortunately" because that would definitely keep me from eating them!!)

On 2/21/2021 at 8:08 AM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I am close to 6 months out, and I dump all the time. I don't eat anything if the sugar is over 15g. I still dump. If I eat one bite too many, I dump. It seems like no matter what I do, I dump. It is ridiculous at this point, and very frustrating. I see my doctor on Tuesday for the 6 month follow up. I have so many ?'s

Same here but I would rather be a dumper then not. Dumping keeps me in check and considering I dont have restriction it is what keeps my weight stable. What did your Dr. say?

3 hours ago, Tracyringo said:

Same here but I would rather be a dumper then not. Dumping keeps me in check and considering I dont have restriction it is what keeps my weight stable. What did your Dr. say?

Well times have changed. I went for the 6 month checkup on 2/23, and was told to start taking the same Vitamins, but with 45 mgs of Iron. Now I am severely constipated. I am in a lot of pain, and have hemorrhoids so bad that I can barely sit down. I purposely ate more sugar to see if it would make me dump, and it has not worked. I am so frustrated right now.

2 hours ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Well times have changed. I went for the 6 month checkup on 2/23, and was told to start taking the same Vitamins, but with 45 mgs of Iron. Now I am severely constipated. I am in a lot of pain, and have hemorrhoids so bad that I can barely sit down. I purposely ate more sugar to see if it would make me dump, and it has not worked. I am so frustrated right now.

You don't want to dump. I don't, but I've heard it's miserable. Plus too much sugar isn't good for you.

A lot of us take a capful of Miralax every day (I dump it in my morning Protein shake). Some take stool softeners or magnesium tablets. Some drink Smooth Move tea - or eat a few prunes every day. Or some combo of the above. Whatever works! Unfortunately, chronic Constipation seems to be a common problem - so you'll have to find a way to keep on top of it.

On 3/10/2021 at 10:21 AM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I use generic miralax in my coffee EVERY morning. I had horrible issues and finally got it straightened out after years of horrible pain. If I miss my morning dose I have problems. I dont miss !!! Try it for a week solid. It turns out I was giving myself a db dose and not realizing it for several months but I actually need it. It really works. I have been pain free since July except for the one time I forgot !!!

I had hemorrhoid surgery removal 3 years ago and it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life and it solved nothing, they all came back, and the pain was barbaric. TORTURE of the worst kind.

29 minutes ago, Tracyringo said:

I use generic Miralax in my coffee EVERY morning. I had horrible issues and finally got it straightened out after years of horrible pain. If I miss my morning dose I have problems. I dont miss !!! Try it for a week solid. It turns out I was giving myself a db dose and not realizing it for several months but I actually need it. It really works. I have been pain free since July except for the one time I forgot !!!

I had hemorrhoid surgery removal 3 years ago and it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my life and it solved nothing, they all came back, and the pain was barbaric. TORTURE of the worst kind.

I didn't know that Miralax could be used on a daily basis? I made an appt. with a gastro. What is a db dose?

1 minute ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

I didn't know that Miralax could be used on a daily basis? I made an appt. with a gastro. What is a db dose?

yes, it can. It says on the bottle to not use it for more than something like 10 days without checking with your doctor, so check with him/her - but my doctor said that it's because some people might actually have some serious problem (and Constipation is just a side effect of) that really needs to be addressed by a doctor. In my case - no serious problem - so my doctor gave me the go-ahead to take it every day.

5 hours ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

There is a line on the cap that I didnt see so I always filled it to the top of the white line which would be a double dose. I was also told by my Dr. that it was okay to use everyday. I had been using colace 3x a day before the Miralax and having issues constantly. The Miralax has been a god send for sure.

On 3/10/2021 at 8:21 AM, HealthyLifeStyle said:

Unsweetened Prune juice Baby ! :)