Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein supplement struggle

I’m post op week 8 and I’m still needing to supplement with Protein Drinks. I really struggled especially about week 6. I had tried several brands and flavors and types . When I started realizing I wasn’t even getting 20-30g, when I was supposed to be having 60-90g I started to panic. And the doctors had no suggestions except to change flavors or brands. It didn’t really help. I began throwing up the Protein because I drank too fast or too much trying to get it down. The smell physically made my stomach hurt just making it. My son gave me a brand called HUELL which was better because it had little flavor or smell. It was the best of all of them but What finally has helped was protein Water infusers. The one I preferred was Isopure because it used stevia instead of artificial sweeteners which gave me headaches. Now I seem to do better because I can water it down but still get my protein although I have to drink more. Still takes me all day to finish 60g but at least I’m not throwing up or dry heaving. My experience

6 hours ago, Cherié H said:

I’m post op week 8 and I’m still needing to supplement with Protein Drinks. I really struggled especially about week 6. I had tried several brands and flavors and types . When I started realizing I wasn’t even getting 20-30g, when I was supposed to be having 60-90g I started to panic. And the doctors had no suggestions except to change flavors or brands. It didn’t really help. I began throwing up the Protein because I drank too fast or too much trying to get it down. The smell physically made my stomach hurt just making it. My son gave me a brand called HUELL which was better because it had little flavor or smell. It was the best of all of them but What finally has helped was Protein Water infusers. The one I preferred was Isopure because it used stevia instead of artificial sweeteners which gave me headaches. Now I seem to do better because I can Water it down but still get my protein although I have to drink more. Still takes me all day to finish 60g but at least I’m not throwing up or dry heaving. My experience

Are you using dry powders only? I really enjoy Fairlife Core Power and Fairlife Nutrition Plan drinks. They might be something to try out. As far as powders, I have had good luck with Optimum Nutrition and Dymatize ISO 100. There are also fruity protein waters. I've tried the premixed ones (Protein2o) and I've purchased a powder that mixes like juice from myprotein.com. One last thing - Unjury makes some savory flavors of Protein Powder like a chicken Soup flavor. I hope these suggestions help!

Protein Shakes tend to give the icks to alot of people.

I found out early on that I just couldn't stomach the pre-made mades and opted for powders. The in took me several tries until I found one I could stand: Isopure LOW CARB Dutch chocolate

https://ca.bodybuilding.com/store/isopure-zero-carb-protein-powder.html?skuId=NB015&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bzQUD3rJPSRnC7cpEo2g4_a5NqlsoskRy2Is7eP-RsdPf8vpolT0D8aAliMEALw_wcB

I found that it was the least sweet of all the ones I tried, and I would blend it up with Water, lots of ice and a couple tsps of instant Decaf coffee crystals. I drank at least one a day until about 4-5 months post op, and then less often until I got to goal (i.e., on days that I ended up too low on the Protein count, probably 2-3 times a week).

I was drinking Premier Protein before surgery, but can really stomach them since. I really like the fairlife Protein drinks. Salted caramel is my absolute favorite. I have also been playing around with making my own flavors with using the powders. I just went to Pinterest and looked up bariatric shakes. I've tried a few different recipes just to change it up some.

I also did not like any of the choices of the shakes. Neither powder, or pre mixed. I tried just about all of them. The only one I could stand was the Fairlife vanilla. I would mix it with strawberries in the blender. I was also nervous about reaching the Protein goal. I was probably only having about 30 a day. I spoke with my nutritionist, and she told me not to worry and that soon I would be eating more, and be able to reach the daily goal. Now I am eating more than the required amount per day. I usually reach around 90-100. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat because I am not hungry, but when I eat, I make sure it is a lot of protein.

Thank you for your share! Good info, I’ll look forward to that time also Never thought of Pinterest!

Thanks Cherie04 and HealthyLifeStyle

The Celebrate and nectar brands agreed with me the best when I was on the shakes. They tasted amazing and went down very easily. BariatricPal also makes their own brand of shakes and they are VERY good. The cinnamon roll flavored one literally tastes like a blended Cinnabon. Dead serious.

Good luck!

I've tired of pre-made shakes. My favorite, and reasonably priced, is the Equate chocolate from Walmart. I blend it with Fairlife skim milk and ice in the blender. To me, the blender makes all the difference. It is light and frothy.

55 minutes ago, GradyCat said:

I still like drinking Protein Drinks 2 years post-op. Pre-made GNC chocolate.

That is def one I have not tried. I will have to try it. Is it very expensive? I know that a lot of stuff from GNC usually is.

I have a very sensitive stomach. I am almost 6 months post op and am still having trouble eating non ground up meats and most vegetables, so I have a lot of trouble getting my Protein. Just like most of you, I have tried about every Protein Drink and powder on the market. I came across Pre Protein 20 Mango flavor ( I know, I don't like mango either) but the way I drink this you don't even taste the mango. One serving is one ounce and gives me 20 grams of protein. I was having trouble getting my Water quota in for the day also, so I took one ounce of this protein liquid (very thick liquid, almost like Karo syrup), 29 ounces of water (one sport top Arrowhead water bottle), one envelope of Crystal Light (I use all different flavors to keep a variety of flavors and don't get bored), and shake till blended. Then a get my 24 ounce water container (or whatever size you use) and fill it with ice cubes. Pour the water mix over the ice cubes and shake it up. My thermos keeps it cold all day and the 29 ounces of water, with the ice cubes makes about 35 ounces of water. Do this twice a day or whatever you need to make your protein allowance. Since I have been doing this, I haven't had any stomach issues with water or protein and I have been getting the daily allowance of water and protein. One bottle costs about 20.00 and is 16 ounces so around 16 servings. This has been the cheapest way to get my protein. I buy mine directly from the Preprotein.com website. They have a special on right now where you can get three 16 ounce bottles for 39.99. They charge a flat rate of 7.00 shipping and send out the same day ordered. 1- 3 day delivery. The best deal I have found.

---------------------------------------------------------

Homemade protein water

1 oz Pre Protein Liquid

29 oz water

1 envelope Crystal light powder

Shake till blended and pour over ice cubes. I use lots of ice to dilute the water mixture since it comes out pretty strong tasting.

2 hours ago, OnMyWay1956 said:

I have a very sensitive stomach. I am almost 6 months post op and am still having trouble eating non ground up meats and most vegetables, so I have a lot of trouble getting my Protein. Just like most of you, I have tried about every Protein Drink and powder on the market. I came across Pre Protein 20 Mango flavor ( I know, I don't like mango either) but the way I drink this you don't even taste the mango. One serving is one ounce and gives me 20 grams of protein. I was having trouble getting my Water quota in for the day also, so I took one ounce of this protein liquid (very thick liquid, almost like Karo syrup), 29 ounces of Water (one sport top Arrowhead water bottle), one envelope of Crystal Light (I use all different flavors to keep a variety of flavors and don't get bored), and shake till blended. Then a get my 24 ounce water container (or whatever size you use) and fill it with ice cubes. Pour the water mix over the ice cubes and shake it up. My thermos keeps it cold all day and the 29 ounces of water, with the ice cubes makes about 35 ounces of water. Do this twice a day or whatever you need to make your protein allowance. Since I have been doing this, I haven't had any stomach issues with water or protein and I have been getting the daily allowance of water and protein. One bottle costs about 20.00 and is 16 ounces so around 16 servings. This has been the cheapest way to get my protein. I buy mine directly from the Preprotein.com website. They have a special on right now where you can get three 16 ounce bottles for 39.99. They charge a flat rate of 7.00 shipping and send out the same day ordered. 1- 3 day delivery. The best deal I have found.

---------------------------------------------------------

Homemade protein water

1 oz Pre Protein Liquid

29 oz water

1 envelope Crystal light powder

Shake till blended and pour over ice cubes. I use lots of ice to dilute the water mixture since it comes out pretty strong tasting.

I had never heard of this before so I looked up their website. They’re currently offering a free trial package of single servings. Just though I’d let anyone know who is wanting to try it out. You might have to pay shipping though, I didn’t check on that. 😊